Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
What are Billionaires doing to help produce more ventilators

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:27 pm
Bloomberg who was throwing around many millions for his election, Bezos who is the richest man in the world, and all the rest in the Billionaire club, where are they now in regard to financing production of ventilators and test kits and all other products needed to save lives?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:29 pm
Michael R. Bloomberg Accelerates Fight Against Global Coronavirus Pandemic- 40 million.

https://www.bloomberg.org/pres.....emic/

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:31 pm
Kylie Jenner gave a million

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:31 pm
Tesla is producing ventilators.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:32 pm
I don't think the shortage is related to lack of money. The shortage seems to be that there aren't enough ventulators in the country. I'm sure they are being mass produced right now and will be ready at some point. It's not as if someone would give $1,000,000,000,000 tomorrow all the sudden we'd have another 100,000 ventalators.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:39 pm
This is an excellent question.

Bloomberg spent $900 BILLION on his campaign. This initiative of his is a $40million effort (and he's not paying for all of it).

Also Interesting: all the politicians (Liz Warren, Bernie Sanders, AOC) who gave billionaires a hard time for even existing have not called on them to help.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:48 pm
DrMom wrote:

Bloomberg spent $900 BILLION on his campaign. This initiative of his is a $40million effort (and he's not paying for all of it).

Also Interesting: all the politicians (Liz Warren, Bernie Sanders, AOC) who gave billionaires a hard time for even existing have not called on them to help.

Are you sure it wasn't 900 million?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:53 pm
DrMom wrote:

That was his choice and he could afford it. 40 million is nothing to sneeze at. It’s good he’s doing it, no?

Mevater

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:03 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I don't think the shortage is related to lack of money. The shortage seems to be that there aren't enough ventulators in the country. I'm sure they are being mass produced right now and will be ready at some point. It's not as if someone would give $1,000,000,000,000 tomorrow all the sudden we'd have another 100,000 ventalators.

Im sure a million would help get things moving at least a little quicker.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:46 pm
The super-rich are trying to buy personal ventilators to save their own families:

https://www.businessinsider.co.....020-3

nchr

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:50 pm
Elon Musk purchased 1,200 ventilators and is sending them to California. He is also having his factory produce more ventilators.

dinglehopper

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:57 pm
You mean really rich people like the President of the USA? Would be nice if he were doing something.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:58 pm
nchr wrote:
Elon Musk purchased 1,200 ventilators and is sending them to California. He is also having his factory produce more ventilators.

This is so cool. If I had to be on a ventilator (CVS) I would want it to be a Tesla. I'm picturing it being all sleek and turbocharged, and it runs on a tiny battery that is self-recharging.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:58 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

That's like you are giving 5 dollars. Maybe less.

Sorry. I'm not undermining it but before anyone gets thrilled with these charities you have to understand how much they are actually giving.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:00 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't 900 million?

OMG, you're right. Sorry for the very significant typo. (but the main point still stands.)

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:03 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
This is so cool. If I had to be on a ventilator (CVS) I would want it to be a Tesla. I'm picturing it being all sleek and turbocharged, and it runs on a tiny battery that is self-recharging.

Lol
But all kidding aside I’d prefer from a long time vent producer.

And if you want to check out something cool- google Ventec VOCSN

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:06 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

Yay, crisis solved.
That’s about 30 ventilators

(Sarcasm alert)

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:19 pm
Many are doing lots

Here's a relatively recent list compiled by Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/h.....77e69

Since Bloomberg is mentioned derisively, I've pasted in his specific donations

Michael Bloomberg: The media billionaire has launched a $40 million initiative to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19 in low- and middle-income countries. Bloomberg Philanthropies is partnering with the World Health Organization (WHO) and global health organization Vital Strategies. On March 23, Bloomberg’s foundation and the National League of Cities launched a Local Action Tracker to collect and share actions taken by U.S. leaders in response to COVID-19.

Jeff Bezos: His retail giant has invested $20 million in the AWS Diagnostic Development Initiative to bring COVID-19 tests to the market faster. Amazon is hiring 100,000 new full-time and part-time positions across to the U.S. to meet the surge in demand and increasing wages with an additional $2/hour in America and pay increases worldwide. Amazon has also donated $1 million to emergency COVID-19 funds in the Washington, D.C., region, created a $5 million relief fund for small businesses and contributed $1 million to a new Seattle foundation to help those affected by COVID-19.

Bill Gates: The Microsoft cofounder announced on February 5 that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation would commit $100 million to aid global detection, isolation and treatment of COVID-19. More than half of it will go toward developing vaccines, treatment and diagnostics. He also called for a national tracking system for coronavirus in the U.S. during a Reddit AMA.

No donations at all from Trump family; Trump organization or Kushners

Donald Trump: America’s first billionaire president declared coronavirus a national emergency on March 13. The Trump administration has repeatedly downplayed the severity of the COVID-19 outbreak and has been slow to implement testing for the virus. When asked at a press conference, President Trump refused to take any responsibility for the botched rollout of tests. He has reportedly laid off staff at his hotels in New York, Las Vegas and Washington, D.C. On March 23, the president proposed easing restrictions to revive the economy in weeks, rather than the three or four months recommended by doctors and public health experts in order to save as many lives as possible. “When you have terrible economies, you have death probably, and I mean definitely would be in far greater numbers than the numbers that we’re talking about with regard to the virus,” Trump said.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:16 pm
Mevater wrote:
Im sure a million would help get things moving at least a little quicker.

Are you being serious?

The lack of ventulators is NOT a financial issue. Congress just passed a bill to spend a couple TRILLION on this crisis. That's 2,000,000,000,000.

There will almost certainly be more money behind this. How can anyone say this is a financial issue and if only some billionaires would donate money the hospitals would have ventulators?

mig100

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:19 pm
DrMom wrote:
This is an excellent ..

It's always like that. Who do u think will bail out our schools when they are flooded with debt...the parents who work hard ( and have a hard time getting their kids into school for the crime of working)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics