Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Embarrasing & Stupido
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:35 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
A friend told me that her son’s rav in israel told them to hide in Yeshiva and learn. They go there and turn of the light and study. This is so stupid and self righteous narcissistic behavior. She told me they boys love to learn too much so she doesn’t say anything. This is so dangerous if not for them for the mother and grandparents who live with them.

My relative is with a bunch of boys together. They are planning on staying where they are for several months without leaving. I hope nobody gets coronavirus there. He's training in Tzahal.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:42 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
They DO say that restaurants are allowed to have takeout orders, but not eat-in. This would seem to be the same logic.

Nope.
That's food.
More lenient.

That's not for pretty matzah covers or seforim.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Nope.
That's food.
More lenient.

That's not for pretty matzah covers or seforim.

I am not sure so I am asking a question, what about home based businesses? Maybe some people sell things from home and deliver them.
A lady on my block sells floral arrangements for Shabbos and it looks like a low risk situation to have people come to the door for their order. Notice that I say low risk because every interaction involves some level of risk.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:52 am
I would also say that the media loves to report on disorderly conduct crowd busts in frum communities and I hate to say it but some made today's news.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:56 am
southernbubby wrote:
I am not sure so I am asking a question, what about home based businesses? Maybe some people sell things from home and deliver them.
A lady on my block sells floral arrangements for Shabbos and it looks like a low risk situation to have people come to the door for their order. Notice that I say low risk because every interaction involves some level of risk.

Yes. Lower risk than a store on 13th ave. But still not ideal.
Only essential interactions should be happening now.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Yes. Lower risk than a store on 13th ave. But still not ideal.
Only essential interactions should be happening now.

Personally, I think that people should limit grocery trips to once every 14 days or even less frequently even if it means eating up the canned food. I am not a floral arrangement customer anyway but I have seen people walking around with bunches of flowers.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:09 am
mamma llama wrote:
This.
I'm not excusing anyone's behavior, but frum Jews are not the only ones behaving this way.

The reason we're in the news is that the world looks at Jews differently. We're the am hanivchar and they are shocked when we don't hold ourselves higher than them. It's "ok" for them to act reckless, but for a Jew, uh oh...

This. I saw a lot of pictures yesterday how the parks in NYC are packed with people of all ages. It’s a pity I don’t know how to upload pictures here.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:39 am
flowerpower wrote:
This. I saw a lot of pictures yesterday how the parks in NYC are packed with people of all ages. It’s a pity I don’t know how to upload pictures here.

All very true but they still like to make it about Jews. Apparently in some countries, Jews are less than 1% of the population but represent 5% of confirmed cases. Our wedding season is now and non Jews don't favor late winter for weddings. We also just had a major holiday in terms of level of participation and we are a close knit group with a BH high birth rate.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:35 am
southernbubby wrote:
Personally, I think that people should limit grocery trips to once every 14 days or even less frequently even if it means eating up the canned food. I am not a floral arrangement customer anyway but I have seen people walking around with bunches of flowers.

I agree.
And everyone stop making this about frum, not frum, whatever.
Ppl are dying.
Want it to stop?
You know what to do.

Hint: it's not to buy flowers. And it's not to have a secret side door open either.

Thank you all and may hashem bless us all

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:05 pm
Maybe seforim are not necessary to YOU, but some of us DO need the Pesach items being sold from these stores, the Haggadahs, and entertainment for kids through Shabbos and Yom Tov. I am glad they are open.

ETA: And I'm getting it shipped.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:36 pm
I would say this; Purim was only 2 weeks ago and most of us have changed our Pesach plans since then. For me, it was a huge disappointment but I knew that it was the safest thing for both sides as well as that I have plenty of experience making Pesach.

For some people, the cooking and cleaning is something that they never had to do. They always went away, so for them, the restrictions are harder to abide by and their emotional state makes it harder to give everything up.

Although we need to be supportive and understanding, the virus doesn't care about our feelings and most people who catch it probably do transmit it.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:22 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Maybe seforim are not necessary to YOU, but some of us DO need the Pesach items being sold from these stores, the Haggadahs, and entertainment for kids through Shabbos and Yom Tov. I am glad they are open.

ETA: And I'm getting it shipped.

Shipped is great!!! Thank you for not endangering more ppl and for not shopping in stores

We all knew the stores were closing, havadahs dont spoil, everyone should have gotten before

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:46 pm
Pickup and delivery from restaurants is specifically allowed.

Pharmacies and grocery stores are allowed to be open.

So far as I know, no other store is allowed to be open. They can take orders by phone or Internet to be mailed or deliver.

What isn’t being discussed is how unfair it is to other stores who are in compliance with the rules for the safety of everyone while others are cheating in order to make as much money as possible.

I would think that since there is no restriction on items being shipped, a home based business delivering items is fine or any store shipping stuff.

A buyer would have the decision as to whether they want to purchase. From everything I have read, it is safe to get items shipped because the virus doesn’t live more than 24 hours on paper. And you can be cautious and just not open packages for several days to be safe.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Pickup and delivery from restaurants is specifically allowed.

Pharmacies and grocery stores are allowed to be open.

So far as I know, no other store is allowed to be open. They can take orders by phone or Internet to be mailed or deliver.

What isn’t being discussed is how unfair it is to other stores who are in compliance with the rules for the safety of everyone while others are cheating in order to make as much money as possible.

I would think that since there is no restriction on items being shipped, a home based business delivering items is fine. A buyer would have the decision as to whether they want to purchase. From everything I have read, it is safe to get items shipped because the virus doesn’t live more than 24 hours on paper. And you can be cautious and just not open packages for several days to be safe.

Pet stores and liquor stores are allowed to be open. Somehow those are essential.

ETA: This is from the NJ site:

"Restrictions on “Essential” Retail Businesses that May Remain Open

Wherever practicable, essential retail businesses must provide pickup services outside or adjacent to their stores for goods ordered in advance online or by phone. Additionally, any essential retail business whose brick-and-mortar premises remain open to the public must abide by social distancing practices to the extent practicable while providing essential services."

Essential services may have a broad definition.

Librarian

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:52 pm
Today I drove by a golf course (in New York) - the parking lot was full and lots of people were playing. Even if they were 6 feet apart (not everyone) and even IF no one went into the locker room, I personally found it offensive. Maybe I am too sensitive...

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:53 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Pet stores and liquor stores are allowed to be open. Somehow those are essential.

Pet stores are essential if you have a pet.

Restaurants are now allowed to deliver drinks or sell for takeout under new regulations. Many people who are nit addicts or alcoholics drink in moderation to help with stress. I don’t have issues with liquor being sold versus stuff that isn’t eaten or imbibed. There is very little besides food, drink, medicine which can’t be shipped.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:56 pm
I know people make fun of liquor stores being essential, but I read a post somewhere else that put it into perspective for me. If the ERs are flooded with alcoholics in sudden withdrawal, or alcoholics buy "homemade" possibly dangerous stuff on the black market and end up in the hospitals that does nobody any good.
And as far as pet food stores, apparently when Wuhan closed for 2 months, there was no food for pets and most died. There were corpses of animals lying around which is a potential health hazard.

Genius

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:02 pm
Wouldn’t everyone stuck at home with kids understand why liquor stores are essential?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:07 pm
Vodka is a disinfectant.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:08 pm
genius wrote:
Wouldn’t everyone stuck at home with kids understand why liquor stores are essential?

Also cannabis
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics