Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
BDE - My FIL

grace413

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:37 pm
My FIL was niftar Sunday night, at the age of 101.

He was born in Poland and had the foresight to see where things were going and was able to save his younger brother. Only the two of them survived out of 7 siblings.

He really wanted to come to Israel but deferred to my MIL whose parents survived and were already in the States. Imagine coming to America with a wife and small child without knowing a word of English. He worked, he learned, they had more children. They lived modestly and quietly. All their children became educated professionals.

My FIL was a man of great emunah, a man of tefilah and mitzvot. When my MIL was niftar 13 years ago, I remember that at the Shabbat table during shiva my FIL sang zmirot. I was in awe of a man who had just lost his beloved wife but was able to put away his sadness to praise Shabbat.

Now I'm really writing this because as we all know things today are not as usual. BH my FIL was in not bad shape and only went into the hospital 2 days before he was niftar. But because of the situation he was alone, nobody was allowed to enter the hospital to be with him. Because of the matzav the kvurah has not yet taken place because there were extra roadblocks and fewer flights. I feel for his physical body being denied a speedy burial. I feel for my poor DH and his siblings, each sitting shiva alone (my DH is in the States and I am in Israel). IYH the funeral will take place here tomorrow and the only family representative will be my daughter although we have been assured that the chevre kaddisha will guarantee a minyan. According to his Rav's psak my DH has already started sitting.

I'm really posting this to show how the current epidemic is affecting even those who are not ill and reaching the most important moments of our lives, and also to make a bit of remembrance for my FIL who would have had hespedim and stories told but now will not.

Thanks for reading. May his neshama have an aliyah.

kenz

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:39 pm
grace413 wrote:

He was born in Poland and had the foresight to see where things were going and was able to save his younger brother. Only the two of them survived out of 7 siblings.

He really wanted to come to Israel but deferred to my MIL whose parents survived and were already in the States. Imagine coming to America with a wife and small child without knowing a word of English. He worked, he learned, they had more children. They lived modestly and quietly. All their children became educated professionals.

My FIL was a man of great emunah, a man of tefilah and mitzvot. When my MIL was niftar 13 years ago, I remember that at the Shabbat table during shiva my FIL sang zmirot. I was in awe of a man who had just lost his beloved wife but was able to put away his sadness to praise Shabbat.

Now I'm really writing this because as we all know things today are not as usual. BH my FIL was in not bad shape and only went into the hospital 2 days before he was niftar. But because of the situation he was alone, nobody was allowed to enter the hospital to be with him. Because of the matzav the kvurah has not yet taken place because there were extra roadblocks and fewer flights. I feel for his physical body being denied a speedy burial. I feel for my poor DH and his siblings, each sitting shiva alone (my DH is in the States and I am in Israel). IYH the funeral will take place here tomorrow and the only family representative will be my daughter although we have been assured that the chevre kaddisha will guarantee a minyan. According to his Rav's psak my DH has already started sitting.

I'm really posting this to show how the current epidemic is affecting even those who are not ill and reaching the most important moments of our lives, and also to make a bit of remembrance for my FIL who would have had hespedim and stories told but now will not.

Baruch Dayan Emes. May he be a meilitz yosher for all of Klal Yisrael.

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:40 pm
This is so hard!!! I'm so sorry for your loss!!

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:43 pm
sorry for your loss ~ cannot imagine the pain of seclusion during funeral/shiva

may his neshama soar in heaven

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:43 pm
Baruch Dayan Ha'Emes- Hamakom Yinachem Eschem B'soch Sh'aar Aveilei Tzion V'Yerushalayim

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:44 pm
Baruch Dayon HaEmes! May your husband and entire family be comforted among the mourners on Zion. And may your FILs neshama be a meilitz yosher for you all!

keym

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:50 pm
Baruch Dayan Emes.
I'm so sorry for your whole family.
And such difficult circumstances.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:52 pm
BD"E. May his neshama have an aliya.

ladYdI

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:54 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Baruch Dayan Ha'Emes- Hamakom Yinachem Eschem B'soch Sh'aar Aveilei Tzion V'Yerushalayim

Sending you hugs

vicki

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:00 pm
Baruch Dayan HaEmet.
I am so sorry for your loss.

The situation does indeed magnify the sadness and loneliness.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:03 pm
This is beautiful. May he be a melitz yosher for all of am Yisrael and the world

Blessing1

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:05 pm
Burech dayan huemes.
I can not begin to imagine the emotional pain your family us going through now. I have tears reading this. May hashem give you strength and comfort to get through this. Sending you hugs Hug.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:25 pm
Baruch dayan haemes! So sorry for you, your husband and your whole family.

The tears unfortunately were not the first I shed today for someone who was niftar. May Hashem bring Moshiach NOW so all suffering and pain is forgotten!

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:26 pm
BDE, his neshama should have an Aliya. This must be so hard for you and your family. Makes a hard situation so much harder.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:44 pm
Hugs! I am so sorry. Something someone said today made this really hit home, the loneliness of the choleh, how hard it is for the family...I hope you gain nechama from the wonderful nachas you've brought and iyH will continue to bring your parents in law.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:02 pm
This was very inspiring to read. May his Neshama have an Aliyah, and may he be a Melitz Yosher for all of Klal Yisrael.

Hug

Cheiny

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:24 pm
grace413 wrote:

Amen. BDE

SuperWify

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:20 pm
Baruch Dayan Emes! Sorry for your loss.
Must be so hard and that you and dh are in 2 different countries!

Laiya

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:28 pm
This is so painful and also so inspiring. Hespedim or not, he has left a beautiful legacy.
יהי זכרו בּרוך

grace413

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:17 pm
Thank you for your hugs and comments.

The funeral took place this evening with the chevre kadisha, my daughter and her taxi driver in attendance. My daughter is terrified of cemeteries but wanted to represent the family and make sure that her Zaydie was not buried without a family member. She organized whatsapp and Facebook groups and livestreamed the funeral to all the family in the States who were immensely grateful to her. This way they virtually attended the funeral and it meant a lot to them.

As difficult as the timing was, now there are no flights to Israeli at all and I am thankful that we were able to have the kvurah before this flights stopped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics