Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Help me teach my 4 year old about Pesach

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:29 am
My 4 year old dd won't be learning about Pesach this year in school Sad so I want to do my best to teach her at home. Do you have any suggestions for good books or videos to read to her and show her?

Thank you!

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:37 am
This year Pesach I feel like we'll really have a chance to do sippur yetzias mitzrayim hands on.
Every year the kids are so prepared they're the ones doing the talking instead of the parents!
The point of all the simanim at the seder is to raise questions in the young kids so they ask. But we prepare them so much it's not surprising to them!

Not saying you shouldn't teach her but these are my 1st thoughts when I think about this year Pesach.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:39 am
We are making a seder plate, kiddush cup, and haggada.
I sing the songs with him (aaallll of them. "No no no", "10 makkos", the frog song, mah nishtana)
We're making mah nishtana finger puppets. They are each 2 sided. One side has chometz (a picture of bread), the other has a matzah. One has veggies, the other side is marror. Etc etc...
I have pesach books. See if you can order from amazon or find online or on a kindle if u have.

behappy2

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:06 am
You can teach the Mah Nishtanah (at least part of it), Tell the story of Pesach, sing pesach songs (makkos song, keorah song, kadeish urchatz song..), you can also print pictures possibly online and make a haggodah.

lucky14

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:13 am
We have 2 books for my 4 year old. He has had them since last year and we have already read them like 5 times in the past 2 weeks. I'll post which later. They may not have been my first choices but he has really learned the story from them. It's all about reading and explaining as you read. And sing the pesach songs you know! And if you are up to it do a few projects.

aussie2

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:24 am
talked about the basics of what we do by e/ part of the seder- kadesh orchatz etc..
what is really fun for the kids if you are able is to take a pic of them doing e/ part- wearing 'tatty' hat and holding kos for kadesh, dipping veggie in salt water for karpas..
and you can make a photo albumn or haggadah out of that that she can look thru after..

(not sure if the school sent home materials for a haggadah..)
if not there are some really nice ones you can print from torah umesorah's website- echinuch.com
there are also some slideshows/videos on there of mah nishtana, the story of yetziyas mitzrayim etc..

Hope some of that was helpful..
(and also agree w/ the poster abt actually being able to tell them by the seder but def good for the kids to have some background b4)

lucky14

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:34 am
Tell me the story of the Haggadah and boruch learns about pesach. Those are the ones we have. The tell me a story books are a little more religious? Yeshivish? Chasidish? A little more something than we are but they are written on the level a 4 year old can understand. Mine is very interested in both of those books. And I add my own commentary and explaining so he understand even more.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:45 pm
Thank you so much everyone!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:12 pm
"Pesach for the very young" by rabbi yaakov hopkowitz
Great book for little ones!
Pesach medley by micha gemerman
A singable seder
Pessach with uncle moishy

shanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:19 pm
Baruch learns about pesach- fantastic
Heard good about: Rebbe Alter Pesach

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:25 pm
Model Matzah bakery has a demonstration on YouTube. My kids were so sad this year, they always look forward to matzah factory in school, so I was so happy to see that there'll are videos of it. We're watching it right now, 4 year old included Smile

Tzippy323

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:32 pm
Go to chinuch.org. Sign up ( it’s free) and search for sheets under preschool. There are some great resources at Torahtots.com.

The most important thing is that you should be fully involved and show your excitement for all that is accomplished.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:34 pm
asmileaday wrote:
This year Pesach I feel like we'll really have a chance to do sippur yetzias mitzrayim hands on.
Every year the kids are so prepared they're the ones doing the talking instead of the parents!
The point of all the simanim at the seder is to raise questions in the young kids so they ask. But we prepare them so much it's not surprising to them!

Not saying you shouldn't teach her but these are my 1st thoughts when I think about this year Pesach.

I love your perspective!

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:17 pm
The pesach book with buttons, you press & it talks & sings.
They have chassidish version & yeshivish version. Spoken in Yiddish & in English.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:19 pm
dankbar wrote:
The pesach book with buttons, you press & it talks & sings.
They have chassidish version & yeshivish version. Spoken in Yiddish & in English.

I'm not sure what you're talking about...can you find a link for me?

dankbar

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about...can you find a link for me?

it's called " Kind 'N' Keit" Hagadda shel Pesach. sold in seforim/Judaica stores.

It has Litvish havarah & pics with yeshivish dresscode for men & boys & speaks in English.Also option for yiddish..

Separate one sold with Chassidish havarah & dresscode, spoken only in yiddish.

It goes thru the simanim haseder. Young kids really pick up on it by pressing the right button for each page, repetitively.

Distributed by Hamatik Dist.
Tel# 718-207-7959/718-782-1391
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers