Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
New: Covid19 is violating all rules that we thought we know
Previous  1  2

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:20 pm
Yes, I know the family (not well.. second hand, I'm friends with his wife's sister) but still, it really hits you hard when you it gets closer to home.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:45 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Yes, I just saw on YWN that a 39 year old father of 6 with no prior health conditions was niftar after being diagnosed 3 days ago. Hashem yiracheim!!!

Just to make you feel better:

The 39 yr old father did have a medical situation that made him more vulnerable, and it is not public knowledge. I think YWN did a terrible thing by announcing that he was a 'perfectly healthy person' who just died like that. It really wrecked a lot of people. They did it on purpose, they wanted to really shake up ppl to start taking it seriously. But that means they also really exacerbated ppl's anxiety. I walked around today with chest pains and dizziness for hours after I heard this news. Then someone who knows him told me the unknown real truth and it calmed me down.

obviously his medical history is private, which is why YWN didnt know, and they shouldn't. But they had 0 business with such a sensational headline which really hurt people mentally.

Still in all in all this poor guy wasn't chayav meesa and I'm very broken hearted about his passing. I didnt even remember right away but it seems he worked in the local shoe store near my house and I then recalled all the times he so graciously helped me and many other people out.

I was once there with my severely autistic son and he was wrecking the store, and I begged him to serve me already, as "you can see this is not a normal child and we really have to get out of here." To my surprise he reprimanded me for referring to my autistic son as 'not normal.' "These are hechera neshamas and we can never call them 'not normal'! I have a child with Down Syndrome, I know what I'm talking about." I was absolutely stunned. He put me in my place.

He was an extremely devoted father and active member in his shul. What a terrible loss!!!

You can breathe easier, however, it wasnt a simple case of a 100% healthy man dying out of the blue.

And it's his right to keep his medical history private. It's not YWN's right to scare everyone witless like that.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:02 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Just to make you feel better:

The 39 yr old father did have a medical situation that made him more vulnerable, and it is not public knowledge. I think YWN did a terrible thing by announcing that he was a 'perfectly healthy person' who just died like that. It really wrecked a lot of people. They did it on purpose, they wanted to really shake up ppl to start taking it seriously. But that means they also really exacerbated ppl's anxiety. I walked around today with chest pains and dizziness for hours after I heard this news. Then someone who knows him told me the unknown real truth and it calmed me down.

obviously his medical history is private, which is why YWN didnt know, and they shouldn't. But they had 0 business with such a sensational headline which really hurt people mentally.

Still in all in all this poor guy wasn't chayav meesa and I'm very broken hearted about his passing. I didnt even remember right away but it seems he worked in the local shoe store near my house and I then recalled all the times he so graciously helped me and many other people out.

I was once there with my severely autistic son and he was wrecking the store, and I begged him to serve me already, as "you can see this is not a normal child and we really have to get out of here." To my surprise he reprimanded me for referring to my autistic son as 'not normal.' "These are hechera neshamas and we can never call them 'not normal'! I have a child with Down Syndrome, I know what I'm talking about." I was absolutely stunned. He put me in my place.

He was an extremely devoted father and active member in his shul. What a terrible loss!!!

You can breathe easier, however, it wasnt a simple case of a 100% healthy man dying out of the blue.

And it's his right to keep his medical history private. It's not YWN's right to scare everyone witless like that.

Thank you so much for posting all this Mama Bear, it was really very generous of you to share all this information, including the story with your autistic son. I will be able to sleep better tonight knowing he wasn't a completely healthy young man that was niftar 3 days after diagnosis. May his neshama have an aliyah, may his family have nechama, and may the pain of his death serve as a kapparah for the world and stop this mageifa!

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:06 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
China and Italy did not see many young deaths. That's exactly why smoking is not significant at this time. Call the CDC. I don't get your saying. Smoking isn't healthy. Smoking is not good. Smoking puts people at risk for many things. But its risk alone, absent other conditions, is likely not SIGNIFICANT (as in as significant as diabetes or COPD) in regard to COVID19 with the information we currently have. Not saying it is innocent or healthy or not a factor at all just not a hugely significant one if that makes sense.

They did see many young deaths, just not as many as older deaths.
And in Italy 50% of ICU patients are younger patients. They no longer have enough ventilators so anyone younger who comes in later may just die for lack of resources.
Put simply, every ICU patient is a dead patient if there isn't a bed and ventilator available. So before you start telling me that there aren't so many young deaths, look at the ICU stats and remember: When the ICUs are full and all the ventilators are in use, those ICU stats will be death stats.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:06 am
ora_43 wrote:
I don't think this is accurate. It's too early to say for sure, but data from China seems to show that smoking is a significant factor in severity of covid19 cases. The EU's version of the CDC just recommended considering smokers an at-risk group.

amother-Jade, I don't think anyone's trying to hide it - I've seen the idea floated in a bunch of mainstream news articles. It's just that it's too early to be sure, and people don't want to sound more certain than they are.

Well it would be nice if hospitals stated smoker status when they state whether the person had a pre-existing condition.

And it would be nice to know that all hospitals are in fact collecting data on this important issue.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 4:59 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
They did see many young deaths, just not as many as older deaths.
And in Italy 50% of ICU patients are younger patients. They no longer have enough ventilators so anyone younger who comes in later may just die for lack of resources.
Put simply, every ICU patient is a dead patient if there isn't a bed and ventilator available. So before you start telling me that there aren't so many young deaths, look at the ICU stats and remember: When the ICUs are full and all the ventilators are in use, those ICU stats will be death stats.

Italy is pretty old country and there are enough ventilators for the 50 and younger population but they will cost the lives of older patients, which is very very sad (and dont ever want this to happen and not saying it is acceptable). I've been actually crying for Italy for weeks now because it hurts my heart when any human being is suffering so your preaching to the choir.

Here is their mortality rate by age group. https://www.statista.com/stati.....taly/
(Keep in mind for younger age groups mortality is likely lower because not all were tested, but it is a good reference). But any loss of any life, regardless of age, is tragic, and I wish the world could have had a different response to this virus and am asking Hashem to keep everyone safe and help us find the Refuah asap.

An interesting point (not related to this thread) is that Italy has also split ventilators. Many countries are seeing many younger patients hospitalized because it appears likely older individuals heeded the warnings to stay home and tens of thousands of younger individuals did not. Governments also want to drive this home so the younger generation does not get others sick (Cuomo said it nicely) who are more likely to need care and whose risks are greater.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 5:02 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Well it would be nice if hospitals stated smoker status when they state whether the person had a pre-existing condition.

And it would be nice to know that all hospitals are in fact collecting data on this important issue.

I'm sure they are, as well as things like vaping, marijuana usage, other drug use, height, weight, blood type, etc. Obviously some information may be missing here and there, but that is generally studied. Scientists are currently looking at vaping in the young population and in particular the type of vaping

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 5:05 am
Italy is pretty old country and there are enough ventilators for the 50 and younger population but they will cost the lives of older patients, which is very very sad (and dont ever want this to happen and not saying it is acceptable). I've been actually crying for Italy for weeks now because it hurts my heart when any human being is suffering so your preaching to the choir.

Here is their mortality rate by age group. https://www.statista.com/stati.....taly/

An interesting point (not related to this thread) is that Italy has also split ventilators. Many countries are seeing many younger patients hospitalized because it appears likely older individuals heeded the warnings to stay home and tens of thousands of younger individuals did not. Governments also want to drive this home so the younger generation does not get others sick (Cuomo said it nicely) who are more likely to need care and whose risks are greater.

I saw that Italy is experimenting with using one ventilator for two patients. It's not yet clear whether that will succeed.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 5:06 am
I'm sure they are, as well as things like vaping, marijuana usage, other drug use, height, weight, blood type, etc. Obviously some information may be missing here and there, but that is generally studied. Scientists are currently looking at vaping in the young population and in particular the type of vaping

Well, when they release a statement and note pre-existing conditions, they should add smoking status as well.

Especially if the point of the statement is to encourage the public to stay healthy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics