Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Would you use a car service?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:06 pm
I need to pick up a shipment of several boxes, and the family member who would normally have dealt with the driving is under the weather and can't do it. I'm trying to figure out the safest work around. (I don't drive).

I would ask a family member to do it and just drop it at our door, but the boxes are fairly heavy. The place can't deliver (I asked) or help load the car because they are short staffed right now. I could go along to do the lifting, but I'm trying not to be in close quarters with family right now, especially older relatives.

Do you think it's safe to take a cab? I don't want to be exposed to anything or expose anyone to
anything. My only other ideas are to ask our shul Rabbi to try to find someone to do it for us, or to find a couple of teenagers to pay to do it.

rachel6543

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:26 pm
So I *believe* you may be able to hire an UBER driver to pickup your delivery order and take it wherever you need to go. I’ve never done this myself and not sure if the covid pandemic would affect this. But an option to check into.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:53 pm
rachel6543 wrote:
So I *believe* you may be able to hire an UBER driver to pickup your delivery order and take it wherever you need to go. I’ve never done this myself and not sure if the covid pandemic would affect this. But an option to check into.

Do you mean with me not in the car? What about the possibility of theft?

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:26 pm
I didn’t have a choice this week and had to take a child to the doctor. I used a towel paper to open the door. Didn’t touch anything in the taxi. And purelled when entering and exiting.

It was not a first choice for me but I did it. Was super careful. Driver wore a mask.

Would for sure not do it if more at risk.

rachel6543

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you mean with me not in the car? What about the possibility of theft?

Yes, my understanding is that you can use UBER as a delivery service without you being in the car.

About theft, always a possibility with any delivery service.

I’d check what UBER’s policies/insurance are if theft is an issue. I don’t know. Have never used UBER. But maybe it’s a solution for this situation.

Best luck on finding a solution that works for you. And have a good shabbos.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:04 pm
Do you not drive?

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:43 pm
I’ve used Uber as a delivery service many times (without a person in the car). However, I’ve always had someone on each end to load and unload the package and that doesn’t seem like an option here. As soon as you’re matched with a driver, you could always call and ask if they would do loading for an additional fee. My guess is some wouldn’t but some would, I think many Uber drivers are looking for extra income now. If things are very heavy, I’d suggest looking into the app Lugg.

That said, why not go with your idea of hiring teens? That seems like an easy solution here.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Do you not drive?

Never learned. It's on my eventually list, but it's not a high priority for me. My husband drives, plus there's tons of public transportation where I live. I take buses when it's too far to walk. Rarely I'll grab a cab if I'm stuck. I'm just not sure how safe that is to do right now.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 4:23 pm
I would not do it and actually would be hesitant about driving with a friend in a car because it is an enclosed space so even just breathing the same air is problematic if the person is infectious. Plus it is almost impossible not to touch something in a car interior.

I would see hire someone to pick up and deliver to my home. There are so many people who are out of work and need money, it wouldn't seem as if finding someone would be difficult.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics