Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Pesach Clothing Swap

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 9:29 pm
Gut voch!

I'd like to set up a clothing swap gemach for people who weren't able to shop for clothing for yom tov, so people can share their small clothes from last year with people who need it. Can you advise the best way to start this? I'm not so social media savvy. I was thinking to create a WhatsApp group but not sure how to go about it....

Thanks!

thanks

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:03 pm
This should Not be done at this time. No exchanges of anything.

ladYdI

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:42 pm
I’m in Brooklyn and have lots off teen girls stuff to give away. Size 10

ladYdI

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:42 pm
Also lots of size 8 women and girls flats and sneakers

banana split

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:43 pm
thanks wrote:
This should Not be done at this time. No exchanges of anything.

Agreed. Virus is on belongings. Great way to spread. But it’s such a nice idea

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:50 pm
Wear gloves, place clothing in dryer immediately and dry on hot.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:58 pm
Not worth the risk.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:04 am
Clothing is a necessity.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:05 am
I am looking for girls stuff size 4/5 and 8/10 in Lakewood if anyone has in good updated condition to give away pm me

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:34 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Not worth the risk.

If you're careful to follow infection control protocol then it doesn't need to be a risk. But it sure can be complicated as we try to reduce any interactions. Though I'd say if I need to go to the post office anyway then I have nothing to lose by mailing some of my clothes that came straight from storage/closet to another family, and they can let the package sit for a few days before opening, there's still just about enough time before Pesach to do that.

weasley

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:38 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Clothing is a necessity.

New clothing is not a necessity

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:45 am
how about toys when you spring cleaned, I could use some games or puzzles for children 4-8.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:31 am
seeker wrote:
If you're careful to follow infection control protocol then it doesn't need to be a risk. But it sure can be complicated as we try to reduce any interactions. Though I'd say if I need to go to the post office anyway then I have nothing to lose by mailing some of my clothes that came straight from storage/closet to another family, and they can let the package sit for a few days before opening, there's still just about enough time before Pesach to do that.

Spending extra time in a post office *is* a risk. Doctors and rabbanim say, go to the grocery only, when needed, and for as quickly as possible. And that's it, no other trips outside, unless you are just taking a walk while social distancing.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:36 am
The virus will live for 24 hours on surfaces like cardboard, so I assume that would be true for clothing as well.

Wash on hot, and dry in direct sunlight for 24 hours. That should knock it out. If you want to be extra safe, leave it outside in the sun for 48 hours, but make sure to rotate the clothing so they don't get sun faded. Drying the clothes inside out is a good way to help prevent that.

(Israeli sun is intense. I found out last summer that I can get sun fading on my clothes if I hang them outside for just a few hours! Every little wrinkle shows up now. Surprised )

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:39 am
It's not the clothing. It's how you do the exchange and leave your home/interact with additional others to do the swap. Why do people not get that.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:56 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
It's not the clothing. It's how you do the exchange and leave your home/interact with additional others to do the swap. Why do people not get that.

If their homes have private entrance ways they can leave things in bags on their porches for others to pick up. Obviously if a member of the household is sick, it isn't safe to participate m

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:58 pm
Rabbanim in my community (and I'm out of the tri state area, so less cases for sure) say grocery/pharmacy only. This, after they've talked to many doctors as well.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:23 pm
I absolutely understand how social distancing works. I also understand the difference between science and paranoia. I'm not putting myself at any extra risk if I drop a box on a neighbor's porch on my way to the very necessary grocery. And with regard to post office, I said "if I have to go there anyway."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics