Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Physical indications of a frum household
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 8:43 pm
moonstone wrote:
Non-Jews don't use Braun food processors???

I’ve just noticed a lot of frum people use Braun food processors (so much so that the company named one of their blades a “kugel blade”), whereas I think the Cuisinart food processor is the much more popular choice among non-frum and non-Jewish people.

stillnewlywed

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 10:05 pm
Kosher lamps in the bedrooms

ima_anon

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:03 am
Two beds in the guest room.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 5:04 am
You see mezuzas in hospitals & doctors' offices too, even if the doctors aren't all frum.

You could see judaica, Judaica artwork & even candlesticks & seder plate in a home but that doesn't mean they don't drive to shul on shabbos or videotape the seder as if its a chanuka party, even if they light shabbos candles. No you won't find shaitel boxes in such homes, 2 beds in master or dark wood furniture in dining area.

Last edited by dankbar on Sun, Mar 29 2020, 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 5:49 am
ima_anon wrote:
Two beds in the guest room.

During our Shabbat sheva brachot we stayed at a frum family who only had one large bed in the guest room....

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 5:56 am
OP, your opening is interesting because the type of decor or furniture is not what make people frum or not.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:07 am
dankbar wrote:
OP, your opening is interesting because the type of decor or furniture is not what make people frum or not.

What's interesting is that there are religious requirements (a mezuzah, for example), signs of religious practice (like seforim) and then things that are social norms that have no religious basis at all, but just seem to go along with belonging to a certain community. For example, in my experience, it's almost unheard of to see midcentury modern decor in right wing frum homes. That's obviously sociological rather than halachic. Why should that be? I have no idea.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:14 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
What's interesting is that there are religious requirements (a mezuzah, for example), signs of religious practice (like seforim) and then things that are social norms that have no religious basis at all, but just seem to go along with belonging to a certain community. For example, in my experience, it's almost unheard of to see midcentury modern decor in right wing frum homes. That's obviously sociological rather than halachic. Why should that be? I have no idea.

I did see silver coloring for China closet by a newlywed, instead of traditional dark wood one, by a very frum couple in a very frum neighborhood.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:42 am
dankbar wrote:

Of course it’s not what makes people frum. However, I don’t think that one can deny that a certain shared material culture has developed among frum communities. That’s what I’m referring to. Obviously there are frum homes that depart completely from a certain cultural pattern, but that doesn’t mean that the pattern doesn’t exist. (And I’m not advocating that it should exist at all, but I think it’s there and it’s interesting to talk about).
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics