Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
To the people who still think this is overblown
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:31 am
To all the people who think this is an overreaction, a media-hyped panic, no worse than the flu, cure is worse than the disease, etc.

Can you tell us where you live? Do you live in the NYC area? Do you know anyone personally affected by coronavirus?

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:33 am
I would assume the answer is no to all of the above...

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:17 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
I would assume the answer is no to all of the above...
Unfortunately I think its the opposite. I think the area that has been so strongly hit, NY, are the people who are thinking this is over blown, hence the insane amounts of deaths, over 500 and infected, over 50,000.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:18 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Unfortunately I think its the opposite. I think the area that has been so strongly hit, NY, are the people who are thinking this is over blown, hence the insane amounts of deaths, over 500 and infected, over 50,000.

NY is the canary in the coal mine...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:23 pm
How can anyone who lives here and sees what's going on still think it's overblown?

It blows my mind.

There are cities where it hasn't hit hard yet. But they will be as bad as NY soon if nobody does anything.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:24 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

What What
Just listening to the hatzalah sirens while being cooped up here is dayanu.
That’s without reading the news or personally hearing of over a dozen people we know who were niftier in the last 3 days Can't Believe It

crust

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:28 pm
Quite the opposite
I think it was undermined.
I think we took action 6 weeks too late.

I do hope the quarantine helps within a few days.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:30 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I highly doubt anyone in nyc thinks that this is overblown.

It takes about 2 weeks for things to come out. About 2 weeks ago, the local rabbanim together with local doctors closed the schools, shuls, men's mikvahs. People then probably thought it was overblown. 2 weeks ago, tehillim lists had maybe 5 names.

Now the tehillim lists are very very long. My friend asked for tehillim for her husband, father, and grandfather.

May moshiach come and heal all those who are sick.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:33 pm
I myself had Hatzolah visit me at 2:45 am last night because I have had trouble breathing (and it’s still difficult). And I am what is considered a “mild case” and I am not even able to get tested. People need to be living with their heads buried really deep in the sand if they don’t take this seriously.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:39 pm
There were posters here arguing fairly recently that it's overblown and measures being taken were not worth the risk to the economy and individual freedoms. I think by today after seeing the terrible reported updates from after Shabbos, it has finally stopped.
At least, I haven't seen anyone arguing about people "needing" to get away to Florida since last week. And nobody is arguing that schools should have stayed open anymore, either.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:51 pm
I moved away from Bp just a few months ago (phew I feel like I got away!) but I am still on my old neighborhood chat. This Friday they were discussing if they should make a minyan in the lobby (aka a stuffy small square of space as soon as you enter the building) and how a shul down the block is still having "small" minyanim every day.
So no, I guess not everyone is taking this seriously enough yet.
Although my parents tell me the sirens are non stop. Frightening. It's never been like this.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:54 pm
crust wrote:
Quite the opposite
I think it was undermined.
I think we took action 6 weeks too late.

I do hope the quarantine helps within a few days.
It takes WAY longer than a few days to see any difference at all. We are going on week 3 now in Israel, and our numbers are also still climbing. One needs a lot longer than just a few days to see any kind of change.

Hillery

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:56 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
It takes WAY longer than a few days to see any difference at all. We are going on week 3 now in Israel, and our numbers are also still climbing. One needs a lot longer than just a few days to see any kind of change.

Either that, or social distancing doesn't actually help. Italy has been in lockdown for over 3 weeks and their numbers are still going up like mad.

Personally I keep the rules, but is there any actual evidence that it works? I'm truly curious and Google doesn't seem to know.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:57 pm
I live in a small town about 3 hours away from NYC. We closed the shuls and schools about the same time NY did but before there were any cases here. BH it seems to be helping to minimize the spread to our area.

crust

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:01 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I understand that. What I'm saying is that although I think we were 6 weeks late I still hope that the quarantine kicks in soon. Very soon.
I'm hoping for a miracle.

Isreal was ahead of everyone else.

It's impossible to prevent every single death but at least they did human and btw Torahdige hishtadlos.
(There are sources in the Gemara that say you should lock up till the pandemic passes. Cant quote right now too dizzy).

In the NY/NJ Tristate area however... oy

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:02 pm
My relatives in KY said that everything is closed but the entire state has less than 400 confirmed cases and it's not the panic that NY is experiencing regarding medical availability.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:09 pm
Hillery wrote:
Either that, or social distancing doesn't actually help. Italy has been in lockdown for over 3 weeks and their numbers are still going up like mad.

Personally I keep the rules, but is there any actual evidence that it works? I'm truly curious and Google doesn't seem to know.
Italy started their lock down WAY tooooooo late. They already had many many cases BEFORE they started locking down.
We have been in lockdown for 2 weeks going on three and there are 15 deaths and 4k cases. Italy on the other hand has over 10 deaths and almost 100k cases. Do you see the difference where they started toooooo late? They are never going to be able to flatten his curve. It is beyond tragic.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:10 pm
crust wrote:
I understand that. What I'm saying is that although I think we were 6 weeks late I still hope that the quarantine kicks in soon. Very soon.
I'm hoping for a miracle.

Isreal was ahead of everyone else.

It's impossible to prevent every single death but at least they did human and btw Torahdige hishtadlos.
(There are sources in the Gemara that say you should lock up till the pandemic passes. Cant quote right now too dizzy).

In the NY/NJ Tristate area however... oy
My point was that we are going on week 3 and the regulations and rules are not getting less, they are getting more and more strict. Lock down is not a QUICK fix at all. It takes a lot of time and a lot of patience.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:12 pm
southernbubby wrote:
My relatives in KY said that everything is closed but the entire state has less than 400 confirmed cases and it's not the panic that NY is experiencing regarding medical availability.

Are you saying that the people in KJ think the entire state of NY has less than 400 confirmed cases??

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Are you saying that the people in KJ think the entire state of NY has less than 400 confirmed cases??

Kentucky, not Kira’s Joel Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics