Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
No trip to barber - DIY boys haircut at home?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:15 am
No trip to barber - DIY boys haircut at home? My 12 year old son is in desperate need of a haircut!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:40 am
Yes! It's the perfect time to try it yourself.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 5:21 pm
Any recommendations for haircutting machines on amazon?

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 7:04 pm
Omg, dh said to me I will be doing his and all the haircuts erev yt. Surprised

tzimip

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 7:11 pm
My son is turning 3 this week. My husband and I are going to cut his hair ourselves. Wish us luck! Like my daughter said, if it comes out bad noone will see him anyhow

pause

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 7:43 pm
We always DIY except before a simcha. It makes a mess but it's not really a big deal.

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 7:45 pm
Don't make my mistake and just do it. Find an instructional video first.

Nuff said.

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 7:52 pm
We bought a Wahl hair cutting kit on Amazon 6 years ago and it has more than paid for itself. I have several boys and my husband. It recently is showing signs of wear--but I think it was exposed to water longer than it should have so it's getting rusty, but it was a great investment. There are videos on Youtube on cutting hair. I only take my daughter and toddlers to the barber.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 5:25 pm
Could anyone please post a link to what I should buy to cut my teen son’s hair ? Thanx!!

momX4

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 5:44 pm
Please post a link to a video with scizzzor cut in the front. I understand we will have to use a machine, but I need something that will leave the hair long in the front.

I already cut the back of dss hair, it was bothering him.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:28 pm
I reccomend watching some youtube tutorials as well, but heres some instructions to get you started:

How to cut boys hair with behind the ear payos

When using machine, dry hair.
When using scissors and comb or razor, wet hair.

Visually seperate a horseshoe shape on the top of the head. Google it, because you need a picture so you know what I'm talking about. The horseshoe goes from the temples, around to the back of the head, and then to the other temple.

1. Untuck payos and put in front of ears.
2. While holding payos down with 2 fingers, use machine on #3 on top of the payos until the horseshoe starts. (Where the head starts to curve). You ca use #4 if you like it a bit longer or if the kids hair is very thin.
3. Do the same thing on the other side.
4. Do the same thing everywhere in the back of the head up until the horseshoe.
5. Use #5 on the edge of the horseshoe (the long part) on both sides and on the part that will be covered by the yarmulke.
6. Take about an inch of hair (two fingers) right at the hairline and cut the bangs how short you like them with scissors. You ate cutting horizontally (across) and pointing the scissors INTO the hair, like little Vs, not blunt.
7. Lift up vertical sections of hair from the bang, towards the back of the horseshoe, and trim the hair, again, cutting into the hair in Vs, not bluntly. Start in the middle, then make the sides the same length.
8. Put payos behind the ear and cut them right at the bottom of the ear.
9. Use scissors to cut a straight line at the base of the neck hairline, and slightly rounded or diagonal lines on the two sides. Also trim around the ears if some parts are hanging long there.
10. Use either a neck trimmer or a leg razor (my family finds the leg razors more gentle) to clean up the neck hairs up until the hairline. If using a razor, make sure the neck and razor are wet!!
11. Optional: use thinning scissors on the from part of the bangs if they look too blunt. More commonly needed with very thick hair.

To adapt for in front of the ear payos: same thing except cut a V shape at the bottom of the payos at desired length.

To adapt for payos that blend into a beard: ignore all payos instructions and use #3 machine on top of the payos area.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:34 pm
in this day & age you can do anything yourself ... just get the correct tools & watch you tube until you find the cut you'd like

amother
White

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:36 pm
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0.....19Y6G
I have this one. It's cheap - not the best machine on the planet but it's what I use to cut my husband's and son's hair... Works.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:55 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Omg, dh said to me I will be doing his and all the haircuts erev yt. Surprised

Likewise, but I hate doing them. So I told them they can each do each other's hair and leave me out of it Very Happy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics