Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Not interested in doing FaceTime therapy sessions
1  2  Next

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:25 pm
There I said it. Now I wish I had the courage to tell the therapists point blank... I’ve been pushing them off- telling them it’s complicated with the other kids around and distraction. I also, quite frankly have no patience to commit myself to a set time and sit on the floor doing therapy... let me have a vacation at least...

(No, I’m not worried of her falling back. She gets enough stimulation from all the kids home & her speech had a massive boost just from talking with “big kids” all day & with all the crafts and sensory activities going- with being a bit more hands on- it’s not terrible for her to miss out on OT... on an average week we only get half the sessions of the mandate anyhow...)

But therapist is just not getting it... she also keeps on wanting to schedule during nap time so it’s anyway sorry no good timing, sorry, sorry...

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:37 pm
Go for it, just tell her! Trust me, you're not the only one.

Online interaction doesn't work for everyone.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:37 pm
Meh, I'm with you. Last time I saw my therapist was in person and she said we could move to facetime or phone calls if I wasn't comfortable coming in anymore. I sent the following message and it seemed to go over fine: "Hi, I was thinking about this week's appointment. I'm not sure if you're still doing physical meetups, but I personally don't want to leave my home at this point. I also don't think a phone or video call would be so valuable to me because I find it an awkward form of communication and don't have much privacy at home. Is it possible to put the appointments on hold until the situation changes?"

The only thing I'm kind of worried about is how to hop back on - whether it will be weird to message her "ok, ready to come back now!" and whether it will be months and months until that happens.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:38 pm
As much as she cares for your dc, she probably really needs the money Sad maybe ask her if you can just it once every two weeks or something t

amother
White

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:38 pm
I'm so happy when parents cancel. you think it's easy for me to continue therapy while I;m playing schoolteacher to my own kids? No. It's hard all around. I'm sure your therapist will understand.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:41 pm
Just noticed this:

gamzehyaavor wrote:
on an average week we only get half the sessions of the mandate anyhow...)

So if this is for an IEP, you have to say it directly; she's legally obligated to keep trying each week.

Just tell her.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:44 pm
imasinger wrote:
Just noticed this:

So if this is for an IEP, you have to say it directly; she's legally obligated to keep trying each week.

Just tell her.

It’s EI.
She’s always either sick & or has appts so we never get her full therapy

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:57 pm
Fabulous wrote:
As much as she cares for your dc, she probably really needs the money Sad maybe ask her if you can just it once every two weeks or something t

I know, feel bad for this... if it wouldn’t be fraud I would offer to just let her have the sessions...
One therapist begged me- she said I need to take my mind off covid19 so she wants to do the most she can. (And no, they’re not the age being busy with their kids)

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:05 pm
One therapist basically begged us saying she only het paid if we do sessions. I feel bad but I just cant manage it and I really don't like my daughter getting screen time.

gibberish

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:11 pm
Yes, just tell her! I told our EI therapist and I think my 2 year old would just play with the computer and it wouldn't work anyhow. She was totally cool with that. Some of it is coming out of concern; they don't want their families to think they abandoned them.
Good luck!

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:14 pm
I feel the same way. One therapist was telling me she is not salaried but gets paid per client so if no one does teletherapy she will lose out. It’s ei anyway so paid for by the state but that kind of explains the pushiness

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:20 pm
my therapist coughed the whole time when I was in her office im glad I can do it by phone

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:20 pm
Thanks- you're all making me feel better!

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:32 pm
For my child I wish we'd be able to get ot but my own therapist I told her phone sessions just don't work. I have no privacy anyway. We compromised on her doing weekly check ins. I don't know how the billing works on her end but I don't care.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:37 pm
Lol and when we stopped sessions a few weeks ago my therapist offered it in a text and I never replied.im insulted that he hasn’t followed up even once to see how I’m doing ( great since increasing my meds) as when we left off I was in a very difficult place. I’m wanting someone to nag me into doing zoom sessions even though they are awkward and less helpful

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:03 pm
I’m a therapist and am finding it very hard to do sessions from home, even though the kids stay out of my way. It’s just hard for me not to have that transition of going out to the office or their homes. I also haven’t been feeling well and the less work the better. Not that I can’t use the money, but I’m just finding it difficult. So I’m definitely not nagging anyone!

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:16 pm
I'm a remote service provider at this point.

I'm not EI so I don't know how to regulations differ. We need to go after the parents but the parents have the option to decline services. If so, we need to get that in writing. If they're able to do sessions but not the full time, they can end the session early and it's still counted as long as over 75% was done.

For EI, screentime is not that much of a concern because most of the therapy is going to be parent/caregiver coaching, with the parent actually interacting with the child and the therapist giving therapeutically relevant instructions. So the bigger concern for most people is that the adult needs to be available for the full session, whereas an in-person in-home session they can just keep half an ear out from another room. If you can't, you can't. It's a lot, especially if you have other kids home.

There was a lot of worry about how this would affect our income. Now there is less worry. They passed a huge unemployment law that can help a lot if people lose work. And if you'd rather not lose work, there are a lot of cases looking for coverage because the original therapists aren't able to continue working remotely (usually because they're taking care of their own homebound kids.)

My one remaining concern that I haven't seen addressed yet is whether the DOE (or DOH in the case of EI but the DOE worries me more because they're generally more crotchety) is going to hold it against you if you decline services. When you get back to school IYH and the kid needs service are they going to say "well a few months ago you didn't want it, so bye"? Or will they understand what parents were contending with this whole time?

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:22 pm
seeker wrote:
I'm a remote service provider at this point.

I'm not EI so I don't know how to regulations differ. We need to go after the parents but the parents have the option to decline services. If so, we need to get that in writing. If they're able to do sessions but not the full time, they can end the session early and it's still counted as long as over 75% was done.

For EI, screentime is not that much of a concern because most of the therapy is going to be parent/caregiver coaching, with the parent actually interacting with the child and the therapist giving therapeutically relevant instructions. So the bigger concern for most people is that the adult needs to be available for the full session, whereas an in-person in-home session they can just keep half an ear out from another room. If you can't, you can't. It's a lot, especially if you have other kids home.

There was a lot of worry about how this would affect our income. Now there is less worry. They passed a huge unemployment law that can help a lot if people lose work. And if you'd rather not lose work, there are a lot of cases looking for coverage because the original therapists aren't able to continue working remotely (usually because they're taking care of their own homebound kids.)

My one remaining concern that I haven't seen addressed yet is whether the DOE (or DOH in the case of EI but the DOE worries me more because they're generally more crotchety) is going to hold it against you if you decline services. When you get back to school IYH and the kid needs service are they going to say "well a few months ago you didn't want it, so bye"? Or will they understand what parents were contending with this whole time?

So to answer on your last point first- I don’t think so. Same like some kids have a 10 months iep vs a 12m. There are different issues that are addressed when a kid is in school vs out of school.
And I’m usually fully present at the in home sessions (minus PT because she doesn’t want to do anything with me around) but it’s nearly impossible now with everything else going on...
And my OT was thrilled when I first agreed to a trial because she said most don’t have WiFi so she doesn’t even have the option of doing remote sessions with majority of her clients.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:37 pm
Yes, I'm hoping they would be reasonable. I'm just thinking in all directions.

But anyway, if you need to cancel sessions then best is to be up front about it. Be sympathetic but honest. If you think you may be able to meet halfway, like do half the sessions, you can ask if that's an option. But I'd rather have a clear opt-out then keep running after someone who said they were interested but isn't working out. I'd either look for more cases to take on or take unemployment. Nobody wants to play games.

glowing1

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:07 am
seeker wrote:
Yes, I'm hoping they would be reasonable. I'm just thinking in all directions.

But anyway, if you need to cancel sessions then best is to be up front about it. Be sympathetic but honest. If you think you may be able to meet halfway, like do half the sessions, you can ask if that's an option. But I'd rather have a clear opt-out then keep running after someone who said they were interested but isn't working out. I'd either look for more cases to take on or take unemployment. Nobody wants to play games.

I agree with everything seeker has said. I am a therapist working remotely with children as well. Don’t worry OP, you can cancel, you really can.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics