Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Turning over kitchen for just a few days

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:18 pm
Has anyone done this? Is it a crazy idea? I don't have a Pesach kitchen. Dh suggested we turn over for 3 days, do a marathon cooking and baking (I only have big kids) and then revert the kitchen back to chametz until erev Pesach. All I need to do is kasher my sink which is no big deal.
I'm kind of liking the idea. Is there any reason not to do it?
I usually turn over a week before but being that I'm not working I think I can get all the cooking done in 3 days.
Then when I'm done and everything is in the freezer there's no pressure of mixing chametz and Pesach till the actual yomtov.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:20 pm
It's such a huge job, I wouldn't do it twice.
Why can't you turn over 3 days before yom tov and leave it be?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:40 pm
In Europe, many women would kasher their ovens for a day in the winter, when it was possible to get goose. They'd roast the goose and keep the fat, letting it render into oil for pesach.

Anyway, if you can swing it, I say go ahead. Whatever works.

My trick is to clean the kitchen first. I double line the fridge shelves, then take off the top layer right before Pesach.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone done this? Is it a crazy idea? I don't have a Pesach kitchen. Dh suggested we turn over for 3 days, do a marathon cooking and baking (I only have big kids) and then revert the kitchen back to chametz until erev Pesach. All I need to do is kasher my sink which is no big deal.
I'm kind of liking the idea. Is there any reason not to do it?
I usually turn over a week before but being that I'm not working I think I can get all the cooking done in 3 days.
Then when I'm done and everything is in the freezer there's no pressure of mixing chametz and Pesach till the actual yomtov.
So instead of changing over, cooking and changing back again to then have to change again to pesach, if you only need 3 days to cook, why not just change over on sunday?

tzimip

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:50 pm
I know someone that does it. She claims it's less stressful for her. She's calm once she knows that the cooking is done. And then she can turn her kitchen over the night before.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:02 pm
Whatever works for you.

Our solution is to keep the lichen kashered, but have a chametz area outside the kitchen (we use our dining room), with a heat source or two (we use a microwave, toaster oven, and one of the two ovens in our kitchen).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:09 pm
tzimip wrote:
I know someone that does it. She claims it's less stressful for her. She's calm once she knows that the cooking is done. And then she can turn her kitchen over the night before.

So that sounds like it would be me. I feel like I'd be so much calmer knowing everything is done and then we can still have farina for breakfast Smile .

Shabbatiscoming I just can't see myself turning over only Sunday. Literally gives me anxiety. Feels too late! I know, maybe I'm a bit crazy.

I also don't go nuts cleaning my kitchen. I'm just gonna wipe down the counter and put down silver foil. I have a spare fridge in my garage. So I don't need to clean my regular fridge.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:20 pm
If think kashering twice would be way too stressful. And not using the hot water for 24 hours twice around?!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:33 pm
Whatever makes pesach prep easier for you. Go for it!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:37 pm
My family always turned over a week or so early-moved all chometz into the dining room-had microwaves, plug in electric hob for cooking etc, so could cook for pesach in the kitchen whilst still having chometz as normal.
To me turning over the kitchen twice sounds really stressful but you do you and I'll do me.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 5:55 pm
tzimip wrote:

I do it too and feel the same way. I don’t kill myself cleaning the first time-I self clean my oven, wipe down and cover two counters (as opposed to the entire kitchen which I do the “real time”), clean the sinks and put in an insert... spend two days baking etc and then turn it back. It feels really good to me to know I have a significant bulk of it done...

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:15 pm
tzimip wrote:

Me! We must know each other!

I work in public school, and spring break is usually 2-3 weeks before pesach. So I turn over, cook, freeze everything in order of when I'll need to pull it out, and then 2 days before pesach I turn over again. I dont get home until 4:30pm erev pesach. So I dont exactly have a choice. But it's sooooo much easier for me and I'm way calmer.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:36 pm
Thank you Wine and Black. Feels good to know that I'm not possibly crazy to think it may be a good idea.
I guess it depends on personality. I think I may benefit from this setup.
Besides, my dh was sick this whole past week and now my throat has a tiny niggling hurt and I have diarrhea (sorry if TMI). I'm scared I shouldn't be coming down with anything (I already had fever and cough for 2 days 2 weeks ago). So I feel like as long as I'm feeling good lemme get in as much as possible.
Iy"h getting my grocery delivered tomorrow (counting my lucky stars, actually let's see if it'll really arrive) so I hope to turn over tomorrow night or Tuesday morning.

penguin

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:05 pm
I personally would really keep it pesachdik. You can still serve chicken & potatoes or eggs for breakfast, & have a designated chometz spot for toast, pizza etc, assuming you have decent weather & a porch, or just a corner of a dining room and kids old enough not to track back chometz.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics