Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How does someone become a moderator?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:47 pm
I've been wondering for a while...

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:58 pm
Long time members who post volunteer.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:46 pm
I was very active on a certain sub-forum and was upset at the way the moderator was dealing with tough situations. I PM'ed Yael about what was going on, and she knew that things weren't running smoothly for awhile but she didn't have someone else to take over. When I complained, she offered me the job. I felt it wasn't nice of me to complain and not be willing to actually do something to fix the problem, so I accepted.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:57 pm
Aside from delete posts and lock threads, what else can a mod see or do? Do they see screenames of amother posters?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:13 pm
I suggested some new forums, Hobbies, Crafts and Collections; and most of the subforums in that category. Yael created the forums and made me the moderator. Over time I also became a Mod for the Household Management forums because my professional work falls somewhat into that sphere.

I volunteered to become one of the Mods for Politics because it's a "hot" forum that needed more help — Yael asked for volunteers. And I seem to been made one of the Mods for Coronavirus (didn't volunteer for that!), perhaps because some of threads there really belong in Politics.

Einikel

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:15 pm
Rubber ducky how much of your time does moderating take?

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:16 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I suggested some new forums, Hobbies, Crafts and Collections; and most of the subforums in that category. Yael created the forums and made me the moderator. Over time I also became a Mod for the Household Management forums because my professional work falls somewhat into that sphere.

I volunteered to become one of the Mods for Politics because it's a "hot" forum that needed more help — Yael asked for volunteers. And I seem to been made one of the Mods for Coronavirus (didn't volunteer for that!), perhaps because some of threads there really belong in Politics.

Thanks Rubberducky!
Do you have to keep on checking in to make sure we’re all behaving? Wink

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:19 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Aside from delete posts and lock threads, what else can a mod see or do? Do they see screenames of amother posters?

Mods cannot see who Amothers are, but that would be a cool perk!

Mods can move threads or split threads into 2. For example, sometimes a topic would better in a forum where only Ima-members can see it. They can edit out disparaging ad hominum attacks or insert comments into a post, like "Let's be nice! — Rubber Ducky as Mod]

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:33 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Thanks Rubberducky!
Do you have to keep on checking in to make sure we’re all behaving? Wink

For the most part Mods take care of reported posts.

Einikel wrote:
Rubber ducky how much of your time does moderating take?

Depends. Spam ads are easy and quick to take care of. In Politics there can be a lot of reports and the guidelines there require some thought, but that forum has at least 4 Mods. I take care of Politics reports when I have time. Often my workload doesn't give me time to take care of the reports there even though I read most of the Politics threads and am something of a news junkie.

Unfortunately, with the economy suddenly plunging into recession and being under house arrest (figuratively), I have more free time now than I did even a week ago.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:58 pm
if you're as colourful as me ~ never
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics