Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Did u read article that it didnt originate from bats

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:53 pm
I read article but lost it. Basically article suggested a theory that it circulated among humans over the years and then a hotspot of human circulation formed and it exploded from there...I'm curious because a couple of years ago I had something and till today not sure what it was just that it was a virus but when I hear what people are going through with this caronavirus, it seemed to have been the exact same thing. It took me ages to recover and I had all the extreme symptoms people are having now...Anyone else had this?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:59 pm
I was sick this past December with a virus so bad that I truly thought it was the end for me. I missed a week of work which for those who know me know that meant I was literally on my deathbed. I had chills, body aches, trouble breathing, low fever. Very similar to corona but way before this whole thing blew up. I had this back in the end of December and am curious if anyone else can relate.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:06 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I was sick this past December with a virus so bad that I truly thought it was the end for me. I missed a week of work which for those who know me know that meant I was literally on my deathbed. I had chills, body aches, trouble breathing, low fever. Very similar to corona but way before this whole thing blew up. I had this back in the end of December and am curious if anyone else can relate.

Yes. But it mid feb. Dh works in retail and he comes into contact with people from all over the world on a daily basis. Lots of chinese people too.
A few days before I got sick, dh was feeling out of sorts for 3 days with a dry cough and headache. Then 3-4 days later I got sick. Started with a dry cough.... Never had such a bad "cold". Had every symptom including chills, weakness, stomach issues loss of sense of smell, trouble breathing and more. except a fever (well I didn't check) and pneumonia.
It took a good 3-4 weeks to really get out if it and now since then, my congestion never went away fully..... and I developed seasonal allergies. Every time I leave the house or open the window my whole face starts itching....
Im hoping its just now till my immune system heals.....

Ima4therecord

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:25 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

You probably did have it. They started confirming cases in the US January... But that doesn't mean there were people who didn't have it before...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:07 am
There are many theories. This is a novel coronavirus, meaning never seen before in humans. Seems to have started in November in Wuhan China. They have a bio lab there also. Did a virus "escape" from a bio lab? Did it originate and jump from animals in a live wet market (ugh)? Did China do something deliberately to hit back at US finally putting tariffs on their goods? Been wondering if any of the Chinese governmental leadership has gotten sick because unlike many countries I have not heard of any their heads of government/military etc. getting sick.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:32 am
There was an article in the aim by loftus that talks about it. Dont remember exactly what he said.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 6:18 am
OP, can you post a link?

The virus was definitely identified in bats (along with dozens, if not hundreds of other viruses. Apparently they can be carriers, but are immune to the diseases themselves. Scientists are researching why bats seem to have this crazy superpower.) Unprocessed guano manure is also used to fertilize crops, and anyone who works with it is at extremely high risk of all kinds of illnesses.

Bats roost in the rafters of pig and chicken pens. Their guano (poop) falls to the floor, where the pigs and chickens eat.

The infected animals go to the wet markets where they are butchered on the spot, and bingo, you have transmission. Animals in these markets go from the farmer to the butcher, without having any kind of government inspection at all. If they animals are showing any sign of illness, there's no one there to stop the sale.

It's really a "chicken or the egg" question, because how did the bats get the virus in the first place? Were they hanging out in Wuhan laboratories? Were they test subjects that escaped to the wild?

The whole thing is extremely confusing. All I know is that now the toothpaste is out of the tube, and we can't put it back. We just have to take care of ourselves, follow all the guidelines, and DAVEN.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 7:47 am
Ima4therecord wrote:
You probably did have it. They started confirming cases in the US January... But that doesn't mean there were people who didn't have it before...

December likely not. February potentially.
Keep in mind that, outside of NY, where it is extremely difficult to test and testing is only with symptoms, thay less than 10% of tests come back positive. There are many viruses out there.

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:35 am
Here's an article explaining what OP is saying:

https://www.sciencealert.com/t.....years

Quote:

(Fred Murphy & Sylvia Whitfield/CDC)
HEALTH
The COVID-19 Virus May Have Been in Humans For Years, Study Suggests
JACINTA BOWLER
30 MARCH 2020
As COVID-19 has hitchhiked around the globe, causing lockdowns, pneumonia and fear, scientists have been racing to determine where the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus has come from.
While we don't have all the answers yet - including whether it came from an animal reservoir - a new analysis has definitively put to rest the conspiracies that claim it's a lab-made disease. 

The study raises some interesting possibilities regarding the origin of the new coronavirus. One of the scenarios suggests the virus may have been circulating harmlessly in human populations for quite a while before it became the pandemic that's now stopped the world in its tracks.
"It is possible that a progenitor of SARS-CoV-2 jumped into humans, acquiring [new genomic features] through adaptation during undetected human-to-human transmission," the team from the US, UK and Australia writes in the study.
"Once acquired, these adaptations would enable the pandemic to take off and produce a sufficiently large cluster of cases."
The researchers analysed genomic data available from SARS-CoV-2 and other similar coronaviruses, showing that the receptor-binding domain (RBD) sections of SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins were so effective at binding to human cells, they had to be caused by natural selection.
"By comparing the available genome sequence data for known coronavirus strains, we can firmly determine that SARS-CoV-2 originated through natural processes," said one of the researchers, immunologist Kristian Andersen at Scripps Research.
"Two features of the virus, the mutations in the RBD portion of the spike protein and its distinct backbone, rules out laboratory manipulation as a potential origin for SARS-CoV-2."

With 'laboratory experiment gone wrong' out of the way, the team explored two viable hypotheses. First, that the natural selection occurred in an animal host before the virus was transmitted to humans. The team explains that although samples of coronaviruses in bats and pangolins have shown similar genomes, none of them fit perfectly just yet.
"Although no animal coronavirus has been identified that is sufficiently similar to have served as the direct progenitor of SARS-CoV-2, the diversity of coronaviruses in bats and other species is massively undersampled," the researchers write.
The second hypothesis is that the natural selection happened in humans - after the virus was transmitted from an animal host.
"The second scenario is that the new coronavirus crossed from animals into humans before it became capable of causing human disease," director of the National Institute of Health, Francis Collins explains on the NIH blog.
"Then, as a result of gradual evolutionary changes over years or perhaps decades, the virus eventually gained the ability to spread from human-to-human and cause serious, often life-threatening disease."
Although we don't yet know which of the two hypotheses is correct, the researchers think that more evidence might tip the scales in favour of one or the other - but we'll have to wait for that research to be done.
In the meantime, wash your hands, stay home, and help with the effort if you can.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics