Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Who's making pesach for the first time?
1  2  Next

First time making pesach?
No, we're going away anyway  
 3%  [ 8 ]
Yes, first-timers  
 50%  [ 114 ]
No, I've done it a few times (3 years or less  
 14%  [ 32 ]
No. I'm an old pro (more than 3 years)  
 31%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 225

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:50 am
I keep seeing people say that lots of people are making pesach for their first time this year. I'm just curious about the numbers here

Roots

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:53 am
first few yrs we sold the house
past 2-3 yrs wewere home chol hamoed and every yr added another few kitchen utensils
this yr: we'll be here leil haseder! and the whole pesach!!
I have 1 pot and 1 frying pan
1 set of silverware
few spoond and knives
few glass serving dishes
3 dairy mugs
a peeler
and may Gd help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blessedflower

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:41 am
First time and it wasn't planned... didn't start cleaning even

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:29 am
This will be my 8th or 9th year making the Seder. But first without my parents or other extended family.
1- I've never made charoset. my mother always made it and brought
2- we don't have pesach pots and always relied on hagalat keilim. No idea if that's going to somehow still be organized or we need to buy some pots.

amother
White

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:34 am
I made once 8 years ago. Not sure if that counts because I don't remember details.

I have keilim but they're in a different city

I should probably get myself organized

At least im not stressing. Lol

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:37 am
It's not our first time, but we've failed miserably every time.

Someone please help us clean and send us food.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:38 am
I always thought the idea of having a yt where the theme leading up to is is cleaning was brilliant. I cleaned for the 1st 5 years of marriage even thou I wasnt home. Last year I was home chol hamoed and 2nd days. This year I was planning to have parents for the seder and go away 2nd days. Instead we will be home the whole time w.o company but not much changes in terms of prep. I had a list I was working thru for cleaning. Ill post it. I admit im backside with lists and doing things in advance. I cant handle last min tension and stress...
✅dc1 and 2 room (march 8)
✅baby room. (Mar 1)
✅Master. (Mar 1 - closet. Ms march 7 the rest)
Dh study (Mar 7 closet.)
✅Linen closet (cleaning lady)
Laundry room (cleaning lady)
✅Bathroom (Feb 16- medicine)
✅Dining room (ms march 28th)
Kitchen
✅2 coat closets (Feb 23)
✅Utility closet. (Feb 23)
✅Attic. (Feb 16)
✅Garage (shushan purim march 11th)
✅my work room (freezer) (shushan purim mar 11)
✅Playroom (mar 15)
✅Office. (Feb 9)
✅Guest room (Feb 9)

Cars
Kids backpacks
Coat pockets
Garbage cans

miami85

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:38 am
Last year was my first time making pesach but we still went to my sisters for a few meals. This will be the first time doing it all myself

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:40 am
blessedflower wrote:
First time and it wasn't planned... didn't start cleaning even

Same here!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:49 am
I was OTD for a number of years. Came back and we went away for Pesach every year. So this is the first time since then that I’m making Pesach at home. I feel like I will do everything wrong. I have no family to help me. I only have one sibling, a sister who lives in Texas. She is somewhat religious, more Conservative or Orthodox-lite (if that exists). Our parents are the same way and I’m not sure if they know all of the halachos of Pesach. I’ve been doing a lot of reading. I learned I don’t have to drive myself into an early grave to prepare for Pesach. But my kids are uninterested and the only reason they’re not with their father, who is not religious, is because traveling is basically a no-go at this time. There aren’t many Jewish people around me. Most are reform or secular with some Conservative tossed in. Chabad has been my only help. I’m so stressed but I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. Just hoping I get there.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:03 am
First time making Pesach at all. I know I am very spoiled.
My parents go away for all 8 days and take us with them. Not only have I never made Pesach, but I have not seen a house "turned over" since I was 14, 30 years ago. All I ever buy for Pesach is chocolate lollipops and snacks for the car ride.
(I guess I do buy clothes for the hotel😉)

Furthermore, I work in healthcare so I am not home and I am afraid to touch anyone or anything when I am there. I keep a minimum of 6 feet from all family members at all times and I am afraid to breathe on anything. Shabbos I cooked by prepping and putting in the food in the oven, Clorox wiped the oven door, and made my husband take out the food and do all the serving and clean cleanup. (I can put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher, but the kids need to empty the clean stuff out. I figured the oven will kill the virus, but I am not touching or going near the food once cooked.) I am not exactly sure how we are going to work together and get Pesach done. But Pesach will come and I will sit at the far end of the table, and my family will have food to eat.

I would like to take a moment to thank everyone who is working hard to adhere to quarantines and social distancing. I know how hard it is and appreciate it, as it really does make a difference, is flattening the curve, and enhancing my life, and those of my colleagues and coworkers. Thank you.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:47 pm
I've been making Pesach for 17 years, but this is the first time I'll be doing it alone. Leading my own seder just feels weird. Study

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:01 pm
Meeee! Dh and I going to do this together (really I mean me doing and begging him for help) without any cleaning help since she’s not coming until this is over. We ordered some pots and pans and cleaned our bedroom. That’s it. We don’t own a single pesach item from before. Help!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Meeee! Dh and I going to do this together (really I mean me doing and begging him for help) without any cleaning help since she’s not coming until this is over. We ordered some pots and pans and cleaned our bedroom. That’s it. We don’t own a single pesach item from before. Help!

You can do this!
Go to a party store and buy really pretty disposables with matching napkins. You'll feel better already.

Bake in foil pans that can be tossed out. Keep food simple, and buy premade dessert.

Invest in a copy of "Spice and Spirit for Pesach". This book basically does everything except cook the food for you. Great recipes that require very few ingredients. No gebrokts, no extra fancy stuff. There are checklists for cleaning, shopping, and all kinds of stuff.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:13 pm
This is our first time home for first days/Seder, but we've been home for chol hamoed/second days since we got married 4 years ago. The end result is that we have BH basic cooking stuff but we had to order haggadahs and still have to get some seder stuff, which is a little complicated with the shopping situation, but we'll make it work. I'm grateful we're not starting from scratch. I try to add a few kitchen items each year, but we're afraid of the keilim mikvah and we have basics, so we don't want to rely on selling new stuff.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:36 am
This will be my 17th time making it. In the very beginning we would kasher our kitchen and eat by the ils. But after 2 years they started going to their kids. My sil only started making after 15 years marriage. They would always go to London for passover

Chang

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 7:45 am
This is our 4th Pesach married. 1st and 3rd we were at my in laws overseas. Two years ago we only bought a few milky stuff and ate at my parents. We were planning to buy a few more stuff this year and basically eat all meaty and y.t meals at my parents. But since they are not so young anymore and we're scared to make them sick. We have to do everything ourselves this year. Bought a few basic meaty stuff and it's going to be a boring Seder just me, DH and sleeping/ screaming toddler.
My sister has the exact same problem except she doesn't have any pesach stuff and has 2 children.
I was so looking forward to spending Pesach with family. But oh well. We have to stay safe.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 2:50 pm
All my kids.
And now that they will all know how to make Pesach, maybe next year they can start hosting dh and me!

sari00

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:23 pm
Our first time making the seder, we're keeping it as simple and low key as possible... disposables and my mom's sending us some food, we'll fill in with some takeout... make it work its hard being away from family and friends and no shul over yomtov.

mig100

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:37 pm
Yes me
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics