Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
To the people who still think this is overblown
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:21 pm
Even Trump seems to finally be on board, judging by the live press briefing in progress now.

Fox

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:57 pm
There's no end to the inconsistency, lack of logic, and wishful thinking on these threads,

IMAMOTHERS: The government should have done something sooner -- at least enforced quarantines sooner!

ALSO IMAMOTHERS: My parents, neighbors, and friends are barely abiding by social distancing recommendations, let alone quarantine recommendations.

IMAMOTHERS: President Trump is a dangerous would-be tyrant who will use any excuse to abrogate the Constitution!

ALSO IMAMOTHERS: Why doesn't President Trump order industries to produce more masks, gowns, and ventilators? Why doesn't he impose a national quarantine?

IMAMOTHERS: Don't spread panic. It's counterproductive.

ALSO IMAMOTHERS: How dare you not panic! You just don't care about people dying!

If you think that this pandemic is a genuine public health crisis, you are correct.

If you think that social media and legacy media outlets have been negligent, you are also correct.

If you think that looking realistically at the data on an ongoing basis and discouraging panic means you don't care about sick and dying people? Well, you're a pretty bad person.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:09 pm
To summarize:

Everyone, please:

Panic less
Cooperate more

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I moved away from Bp just a few months ago (phew I feel like I got away!) but I am still on my old neighborhood chat. This Friday they were discussing if they should make a minyan in the lobby (aka a stuffy small square of space as soon as you enter the building) and how a shul down the block is still having "small" minyanim every day.
So no, I guess not everyone is taking this seriously enough yet.
Although my parents tell me the sirens are non stop. Frightening. It's never been like this.

The non jews in your beautiful suburban backyard say "phew" on yidden. Curious: have you picked it up from them?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
The non jews in your beautiful suburban backyard say "phew" on yidden. Curious: have you picked it up from them?

And you don't say "phew" on non-Jews?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 2:03 pm
Who says she's saying "phew" on Jews? Maybe she's just saying phew on not being cooped up in an 800 sq foot apartment with 8 kids during a pandemic.

Plz ppl. No need to be hypersensitive and assume the entire world is looking down on you.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:07 pm
Israel did do a lockdown earlier than the US and anywhere else. Israel has been the most aggressive and restrictive and that is one reason they have not had many deaths B"H tho one is too many.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:16 pm
Go down the page for stats on different countries. Then say there is nothing to be worried about.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:47 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Go down the page for stats on different countries. Then say there is nothing to be worried about.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Agreed, there's a lot to worry about.

But bear in mind that the chart reports positive tests. We have no idea how many people have not been tested. In developed countries, the rate of testing is higher, so it may look like there are more cases of the disease. On the other hand, medical care is better, so death rates may be lower. The statistics are distorted by a lack of consistent information. Sometimes we are comparing apples with oranges.

There's a lot we don't know. In the meantime, we need to stay extra cautious.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

Seriously????? Is that what you took out of my post? I'm speechless.
I meant phew that I don't need to be locked into my attached tiny apartment and instead we're quarantining on a nearly acre property. But I wasn't going to go into details as not to rub it into anyone's face.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:58 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Agreed, there's a lot to worry about.

But bear in mind that the chart reports positive tests. We have no idea how many people have not been tested. In developed countries, the rate of testing is higher, so it may look like there are more cases of the disease. On the other hand, medical care is better, so death rates may be lower. The statistics are distorted by a lack of consistent information. Sometimes we are comparing apples with oranges.

There's a lot we don't know. In the meantime, we need to stay extra cautious.
Amother, I linked that website to show the amount of DEATHS. For people who have the virus with no symptoms, we will never know.
As for saying that medical care is better in developed countries so deaths may be lower, um, look at Italy and the USA. The death rates in both of those countries are insane, because people were still going about their business when they should have been at home not socializing and staying away from people.
I didnt bring that site to show how many cases there are. There of course are more actual cases than on that site. Thats not the point at all.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:03 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Amother, I linked that website to show the amount of DEATHS. For people who have the virus with no symptoms, we will never know.
As for saying that medical care is better in developed countries so deaths may be lower, um, look at Italy and the USA. The death rates in both of those countries are insane, because people were still going about their business when they should have been at home not socializing and staying away from people.
I didnt bring that site to show how many cases there are. There of course are more actual cases than on that site. Thats not the point at all.

You're right that Italy and Spain, which are relatively affluent countries, have horrific death rates. We don't know why Germany, which also didn't lock down right away, has infection and death rates that are so much lower.

And further, without knowing who is infected, you don't know whether they died of coronavirus.

There are a lot of unknowns out there.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:16 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Kentucky, not Kira’s Joel Smile

Thanks! I should have spelled it out.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:10 pm
southernbubby wrote:
My relatives in KY said that everything is closed but the entire state has less than 400 confirmed cases and it's not the panic that NY is experiencing regarding medical availability.

KY is an outlier, and while I know that they have been taking this seriously (on the whole - my BIL is reporting a lot of violators in their 20s and 30s), firstly their borders are not hermetic, secondly numbers may still rise, thirdly there isn't enough testing, and fourth, there's no guarantee they won't start getting shipments of coronavirus patients, or asked for a loan of their equipment.

So as much as KY may be safe right now, I don't think we can count on it staying that way.

Meanwhile, kudos to governor and citizens for (on the whole) taking the lead and acting responsibly to pre-empt this.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:12 pm
Hillery wrote:
Either that, or social distancing doesn't actually help. Italy has been in lockdown for over 3 weeks and their numbers are still going up like mad.

Personally I keep the rules, but is there any actual evidence that it works? I'm truly curious and Google doesn't seem to know.

Italy had a very ineffective lockdown at first, and now their hospitals are overwhelmed and they are seeing a lot of medical staff come down with coronavirus. It also takes up to 24 days - meaning more than three weeks - for coronavirus symptoms to show. From when they begin to show, it may take another few days before they become severe enough for a person to consider asking to be tested, or go in for medical care.

Israel has been importing coronavirus cases, by flying in Israelis who were previously abroad. About half the cases (a few days ago - probably the percentage has risen since then) are imports.

Social distancing does work. Listen to this.
https://www.israelnationalnews.....78006
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics