Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Really? Frum lawyer Sues Cuomo Over Ban On Large Gatherings,

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:32 pm
Frum lawyer Sues Cuomo Over Ban On Large Gatherings, Says It Infringes On Ability To Observe Jewish Faith

A Brooklyn attorney has filed a lawsuit accusing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo of violating his right to free speech and ability to observe his Jewish faith because of the state’s ban on large gatherings due to the coronavirus.
Lee Nigen also alleges that telling state residents to limit travel, Cuomo has violated his right to meet with clients, friends, family and “like-minded people,” the New York Post reported.
Cuomo signed an executive order requiring an indefinite ban on large gatherings on March 23. He has yet to impose a travel ban.
The suit filed Friday in Brooklyn federal court named Cuomo and the state government.
“Mr. Cuomo’s threat that his directives will be enforced by law enforcement cause Mr. Nigen to fear arrest if he attempts to travel for any other purpose other than getting medical attention or obtaining groceries, thus impermissibly chilling his exercise of his constitutional rights to travel,” the suit says, according to the Post.
Nigen has been strongly criticized on his Facebook page.
“Your rights stop when the purpose is to protect the greater good,” read one comment. “During a horrific time for the country, you feel the need to file a lawsuit? As a Jew, I’m ashamed you use our religion for this nonsense. And then you wonder why people hate us? Go ahead- ignore the warnings, spread the virus in your community and let’s see how many Jews are dead thereafter you schmuck.”
Nigen posted in response to the criticism.
“To those who ill consider my dissent, I still wish you well, and treasure the right you have to express your opinion,” he wrote. “To the extent that fleeting flame has come upon me at this time of plague and panic, there is only one favor I ask of all: Be well and be free.”

https://dusiznies.blogspot.com......html

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/.....ders/

You gotta be kidding.

hodeez

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:32 pm
Oof.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:40 pm
Tremendous chillul Hashem.
And we wonder why there's so many people are anti-Semitic.

octopus

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:44 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

I agree. Tremendous chillul Hashem.

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:46 pm
hodeez wrote:
Oof.

This.

I hope he backs off. He is hurting his people and himself.

The Constitution speaks of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". This gentleman seems to be unclear on the concept that life comes first.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:47 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news.....andhp

Theres nuts in every religion.

"Pentecostal preacher Tony Spell didn’t just stand before his congregation on Sunday in defiance of the governor’s order to stay home: He leaped into the pews, paraded, hugged and laid hands on worshipers’ foreheads in prayer........."

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:50 pm
He withdrew. Thank goodness.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:58 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

Says who?

imasoftov

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 6:10 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

I hope that's so, but he hasn't updated his Facebook to reflect that. The most recent post as of now is still the "To those who ill consider my dissent ..." one mentioned at the end of the article.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 10:31 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I hope that's so, but he hasn't updated his Facebook to reflect that. The most recent post as of now is still the "To those who ill consider my dissent ..." one mentioned at the end of the article.

Oh my... Can't Believe It

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 10:38 pm
I am all for freedom and limited government and letting people make their own choices, even when they're stupid ones, but to launch this suit at this time? It's simply not appropriate at all. Sad to admit our society as a whole, very much including the frum world, has shown they need the intervention of government for their own good. Can't begin to tell you how depressed this statement makes me.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 10:38 pm
What hidden agenda is/was he trying to represent?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 10:39 pm
He is technically right. The Constitution, having been written long before viruses were discovered, does not make an exception for the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mevater

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
He is technically right. The Constitution, having been written long before viruses were discovered, does not make an exception for the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to the constitution, did anyone ever have a right to endanger the general population, because of their private needs?

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 2:09 am
While I sympathize with the sentiment that we must be vigilant about the government using crises as an excuse to limit our civil liberties, this man is an idiot.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:10 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

I know nothing about the specific case but Constitutional Law absolutely enables government to restrict certain civil rights. The Courts must use the strict scrutiny standard in which the government has to prove there is a compelling reason for the restriction. Also there must not be a less burdensome way to achieve the objectives of the government.

There is no court which would not find public health to be a compelling reason for the restrictions especially since no religion is singled out but it is a complete closure of every kind of public gathering.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 12:17 am
imasoftov wrote:

Seems he recently posted that he withdrew it

Just One

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 12:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/louisiana-church-defies-covid-19-order-holds-sunday-services/ar-BB11SYNG?ocid=spartandhp

Theres nuts in every religion.

"Pentecostal preacher Tony Spell didn’t just stand before his congregation on Sunday in defiance of the governor’s order to stay home: He leaped into the pews, paraded, hugged and laid hands on worshipers’ foreheads in prayer........."

This. The guy is nuts plain and simple
We shouldn't be our own biggest haters
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics