Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Main dish leil haseder
Previous  1  2  3  Next

keym

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:18 am
groovy1224 wrote:
First time making pesach here... The duck sauce/BBQ sauce is considered cooking in liquid? Or you add water?

My Rav holds that the duck sauce is considered liquid, but it needs to be really submerged in it, not just a little drizzle.
I use a deep pan and a whole jar of duck sauce for 6-8 quarters. It ends up covering all of the chicken.

cbg

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:21 am
From what I learned it can’t be dry roasted like a. BBQ
As long as there is some liquid in the pan it’s ok

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:39 am
I think I’m making tongue with an herby sauce
But I don’t know what side dishes I can serve with that

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:45 am
DrMom wrote:
What is this?

It’s the cut next to the brisket. It’s very similar in taste and texture but cheaper.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:23 pm
Ilana Tamar wrote:
My mother in law serves a stove top chicken. My mother roasts her chicken in the oven but was told by her rav to bake it in liquid so she always puts water on the bottom of the roasting pan.
My rav told us that it shouldn’t be broiled so I just serve a regular roasted chicken.

Huh??? Roasted is not allowed,you should clarify with your Rav

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:24 pm
MiriFr wrote:
I make meatballs & quinoa or cauliflower rice. Much lighter than a roast and easier to eat at 1am

Be careful with quinoa, the kashrut orgs are saying they’re infested

pause

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 6:09 pm
I serve chicken from the soup and cooked flanken that are reheated in the soup. Yum!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:28 pm
I use my big pan and put in sliced onion then a few potatoes and veggies (same ones I would put in a chicken soup) cut in chunks. I top it with a cut up (raw chicken) sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika & a drop of cinnamon and some brown sugar then I add a little (fresh squeezed) orange juice. Cover it tightly and put it on the stove when we start the seder. I check it towards the end of Magid and adjust the flame if needed. Perfect fresh food for Shulchan Oraich. We call it Seder food (I won't make it any other time) and everyone (even my dd who generally won't eat veggies or chicken) loves it.

bbhem5

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:55 pm
So interesting! My and DH's families don't eat any meat at the seder. I didn't realize so many people do!
We always do a 'loaded' soup with tons of chicken and vegetables, including potato, and egg lokshen if I have the time. My kids talk about this soup all year- if they want to compliment a chicken soup they say it's almost like at the seder! I also offer potato kugel and applesauce but don't have many takers. No one is hungry!

One year my teen DS wanted shnitzel. I told him if he asked our Rav and was told it's okay HE could make it. So he called, asked how, and fried some. Everyone enjoyed on erev yom tov but even he wasn't interested at the seder. The next year I asked if I should defrost cutlets for him to fry but he said to wait for a meal he was hungry for. (He did make some for a chol hamoed supper:).)

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:28 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I use my big pan and put in sliced onion then a few potatoes and veggies (same ones I would put in a chicken soup) cut in chunks. I top it with a cut up (raw chicken) sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika & a drop of cinnamon and some brown sugar then I add a little (fresh squeezed) orange juice. Cover it tightly and put it on the stove when we start the seder. I check it towards the end of Magid and adjust the flame if needed. Perfect fresh food for Shulchan Oraich. We call it Seder food (I won't make it any other time) and everyone (even my dd who generally won't eat veggies or chicken) loves it.

Sounds perfect! What kind of pan? Like a large saute pan? How long does it take to cook?

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:32 am
I never heard that poultry can’t be roasted, just red meat can’t be roasted. There are so many diferrent opinions

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:38 am
pause wrote:
I serve chicken from the soup and cooked flanken that are reheated in the soup. Yum!

Finally! I thought I was the only one who had chicken from the soup.

That is the ONLY thing we were ever served growing up (I'm mid-30s now). When I married my husband who wanted meat, my mom put some flanken into the soup and served him that.

These main dishes sound amazing!!!

Maybe this year --> silver lining in staying home :-)

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:46 am
Oj roast from pesach while you sleep. Make it in a crock pot.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:05 am
Spray big pot. Line with sliced onions, some chunked potatoes, carrots, mushrooms. Place chicken pieces all over. Season as desired - salt, paprika, onion powder, onion soup. Place chunked onions, more potatoes, carrots on top. Pour water and white wine, more the first than the second but be generous. Bring to boil. Cover loosely, simmer. Add liquids as needed. The gravy is awesome.
You can probably start this about 3 hours before the seder, blech, serve at shulchan aruch.
Enjoy.
People actually ask for leftovers the next night so build it in.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:23 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Sounds perfect! What kind of pan? Like a large saute pan? How long does it take to cook?

I’m blanking on what the pan is called but mine is about 12-16 diameter and has 3” straight sides and a cover. I usually put foil under the cover so it’s covered tightly.

I put it on a med flame at the beginning of the Seder and then check it as we get closer. Depending on how long we go, I either raise or lower the flame. My goal is that the chicken be perfectly cooked, but not overcooked, when we’re ready to eat it.

Btw, I make this for both nights. Before Yom Tov I clean the chickens and put them each into a ziplock. I peel and cut the veggies and split them into 2 ziplocks (with a drop of water) and get out as much air as possible. When I’m ready to put it up each night, I take one bag of veggies and one bag of chicken and put them in the pan & season them.

pause

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Finally! I thought I was the only one who had chicken from the soup.

That is the ONLY thing we were ever served growing up (I'm mid-30s now). When I married my husband who wanted meat, my mom put some flanken into the soup and served him that.

These main dishes sound amazing!!!

Maybe this year --> silver lining in staying home :-)

By the time we get to the end of shulchan orech, any fancy meat is a bracha l'vatala... (I serve those at the day meals.) But nothing beats the taste of those flanken with homemade chrein!

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:19 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I’m blanking on what the pan is called but mine is about 12-16 diameter and has 3” straight sides and a cover. I usually put foil under the cover so it’s covered tightly.

I put it on a med flame at the beginning of the Seder and then check it as we get closer. Depending on how long we go, I either raise or lower the flame. My goal is that the chicken be perfectly cooked, but not overcooked, when we’re ready to eat it.

Btw, I make this for both nights. Before Yom Tov I clean the chickens and put them each into a ziplock. I peel and cut the veggies and split them into 2 ziplocks (with a drop of water) and get out as much air as possible. When I’m ready to put it up each night, I take one bag of veggies and one bag of chicken and put them in the pan & season them.

Thanks so much! I will try it this year! A few questions:
1. Chicken on the bone, right? Tops? Bottoms? Either?
2. Do you put any oil on the bottom of the pan? Do you spray it?
3. How much juice do you put in? do you literally squeeze it from the orange or you prepare it before?
4. Do you add water?

Thanks so much!!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:27 pm
DrMom wrote:
I believe that some Sephardim have a minhag to serve roasted meats on leil Seder.

Interesting! Not Persians! We are makbid NOT to have roasted meat, or anything that would even resemble roasted meat. (like the poster u upthread who said her mother puts a bit of water in the roasting pan so that its baked in liquid.. that wouldn't work.)

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:32 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Thanks so much! I will try it this year! A few questions:
1. Chicken on the bone, right? Tops? Bottoms? Either?
2. Do you put any oil on the bottom of the pan? Do you spray it?
3. How much juice do you put in? do you literally squeeze it from the orange or you prepare it before?
4. Do you add water?

Thanks so much!!

Glad you like the idea!
1. Both. I use a whole chicken cut in 1/8s.
2. No oil or spray, but my pan has a really good nonstick coating. I used to do it in a regular pan and I didn’t use oil or spray then either. (We didn’t buy oil & I’m pretty sure I didn’t put in shmaltz).
3. We don’t buy much in the way of ingredients/products so we squeeze our own juice. We do about 2 cases of oranges before Pesach (along with grapefruit, lemons & limes), so I just pour in some of that. I’d say around 1/4 cup.
4. I do not add any other liquid but you need to seal it tightly so that the liquid the veggies & chicken give off collect instead of evaporating.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:05 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Glad you like the idea!
1. Both. I use a whole chicken cut in 1/8s.
2. No oil or spray, but my pan has a really good nonstick coating. I used to do it in a regular pan and I didn’t use oil or spray then either. (We didn’t buy oil & I’m pretty sure I didn’t put in shmaltz).
3. We don’t buy much in the way of ingredients/products so we squeeze our own juice. We do about 2 cases of oranges before Pesach (along with grapefruit, lemons & limes), so I just pour in some of that. I’d say around 1/4 cup.
4. I do not add any other liquid but you need to seal it tightly so that the liquid the veggies & chicken give off collect instead of evaporating.

Thank you so much! I look forward to trying it!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics