Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why are they making us take paid leave?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:31 am
Business is very slow for us right now due to COVID 19. I'm lucky we haven't been laid off yet but our firm just asked our team members to take at least a week of paid leave in April. Although that works out bc pesach, my question is, why are they asking us to take paid leave? What do they have to gain if they're paying us anyway? Does this mean there's a high chance they're looking to lay us off some point soon and are just trying to reduce their liabilities at the end? What else could they possibly have to gain?

One colleague is very angry, thinks they have no legal basis, esp as everything is shut down right now. I'm definitely not making any waves as what's to stop them from just laying us off? I'm just really curious what their reasoning could be other than reducing liabilities.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:35 am
I think depending on how large the company is they might get reimbursed by the federal government for paid leave due to the new bill but they will not get it for paying your salary. It might just come off their taxes but it still saves them money.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:46 am
LittleDucky wrote:
I think depending on how large the company is they might get reimbursed by the federal government for paid leave due to the new bill but they will not get it for paying your salary. It might just come off their taxes but it still saves them money.

Oooo I didn't think of that. I'm not in the US but we're a subsidiary of a parent company that's in the US. It's a pretty large firm and I know nothing about the details of this bill or whether they could make claims on foreign subsidiaries or whether our government here passed a similar thing.

Now that you say that though, they were asking that we carefully label any expense claims that are COVID related as such (for reimbursement purposes somehow) so maybe they'd get reimbursed for that. If that's the case though, I'd love for them to give us back our vacay days although for now I'll just be grateful for all we have.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:31 am
Unfortunately it may be a way to gently lay everyone off. That's what my company is doing. They're putting us all on paid sick leave, and then laying us off, at which point we'll start collecting unemployment. It's just a way to keep us getting paid as long as possible. They're trying to do right by us all even as they're folding.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:40 am
Perhaps they need to reduce he number of employees physically onsite in order to comply with social distancing rules?

Why are you complaining about PAID leave?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:41 am
DrMom wrote:
Perhaps they need to reduce he number of employees physically onsite in order to comply with social distancing rules?

It sounds like the paid leave was her vacation days.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:48 am
DrMom wrote:

We're already all working from home. This paid leave are vacation days they already owe us. If they laid us off they'd have to pay us or out for this anyway.

No one is complaining. I'm trying to figure out their incentive as they're making us take our paid days but it doesn't save them money for now. I agree that it may be that they're trying to extend our employment as long as possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics