Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
3 day yom tov- let's brainstorm!
Previous  1  2

challahchallah

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:34 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Any game ideas for ages 10-14?

The card game Set is a good one for that age.

gamanit

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:52 am

Perpetual Commotion!! We never tire of this game.

mfb

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:18 am

Ticket to ride

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:22 am
We have some new games and books (my kids are 1-8 yrs). We've been trying to think out of the box on shabbos I'm that we've been stuck and I've let the kids make bigger messes for imaginary games. Like using suitcases to pack for leaving mitzrayim and acting it out, putting on bathing suits and pretending they're bed is a boat they're riding on...things like that. Encouraging creativity like parsha skits is good, they can prepare a choir of pesach songs. We've been making fun, kid prepared kiddush on shabbos but pesach will be harder to do that. Honestly all the brainstorming specific ideas won't help too much bc we're talking about a lot of time spent indoors without entertainment after a long time already of being on top of each other at home. We all need to daven that our kids are calm, happy and that we have the koach and patience to play with them and keep things going.

aimhabanim

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:41 am
We love Monopoly deal. It's a really fun card game ages till me Smile boys and girls

Aylat

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:29 am

My kids those ages like Catan (we have one of the extension packs as well), Clue, Rummikub, Monopoly, and a variety of card games played with a regular pack of cards, like President and Cheat. Trying to remember what else? There's a card version of Twister that they find hilarious. Jungle Speed, Perpetual Commotion, Uno, Set. Othello, Pentago, sometimes chess and backgammon. These last are 2 player games.

My 6 and 9 yo play most of these too.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:45 am
We spend so much money on food, supplies.

Maybe good to invest in future prizes/dollar store or whatever incentives.
On yontiv, can set up a system of rewarding with jars & marbles (or if w/o supplies, tight budget etc, simply can't get now) each child in advance decorates their own empty deli container, sharpies are good or can collage them with glue & magazine clippings.

can cut a slot in the lid like a Tzedaka box, & anytime they get rewarded with paper "tokens" whenever parents or even siblings to encourage supporting each other, point out playing nicely, helping a sibling, listening, davening etc.

A good time not to be stingy with our love, positive reinforcement, pointing out whenever they're "doing it right".

They can cash in their "tokens"

With a word document could print out a chart & cut out boxes for "tokens". Maybe depending on each family's ability, each token can be worth a nickel, quarter, whatever, can have a few special "dollars" for something special or important just to show them we love them, moments to bring a smile to their face "ooh, you just shared so nicely, it happens to be "BOGO", you get two tokens!"
You get the idea.

(Goes for us too Smile Can think about rewards for us for overcoming this hurdle as best we can!)

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:21 pm
Any ideas for a hyper active 2 year old and a 4 year old girly girl?!

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:25 pm
Mille Bournes is great.
Risk
Snorta as well-I don’t know if it’s still in the local stores-I see it’s unavailable online.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:47 pm
We play 20 questions with neighbors. Everyone stays on their own porches and yells questions and answers to each other.
It just gives a change of ppl.
We also have some only children on our block with single parents so it gives them a break.

I’d live other ideas of games to play this way.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:51 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Dimensi.....r=8-3

I bought this for my teens for Chanukah and was surprised my 6 year old could play it well. When she had play dates, her friends didn’t necessarily catch on. It’s pricey for cardboard and marbles, but well worth it.

Each round is different, so you don’t get bored.
It’s all strategy, which we like.
Each round takes just 1-2 minutes. When we play the long games, someone always has to leave which interrupts the flow.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 2:18 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Any ideas for a hyper active 2 year old and a 4 year old girly girl?!

The Purim costume box, or other dress up. Blanket forts and wraps. Animal charades.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:48 pm
I have a SUPER intense child whose issues manifest like ADHD all the time (and bullying siblings mercilessly), and I'm panicking too!!

1. we made a big order from thriftbooks.com ($88 for 21 books)
2. ordered new games that I know we like: Go Go Gelato, Splendor, Codenames, Perpetual Commotion, chess. This (for us) needs CONSTANT VIGILANCE because the child bullies other players but it gives us a framework.

someone gave the idea to have a 'color war' (mommy one team, totty the other) and game tournament, which didn't really work for us but I can see it working for others (points for cleaning up! points for listening!)

3. Make up with DH that it's gonna be a joint effort. This was hard. But once we realized we are in the same boat we stopped spelling each other for naps and both were 'on' all day (which was easier because he's home and not going to minyan!) Having two adults around intense kids helps when there are huge blowups. and makes it feel like you are not SO outnumbered.

4. We forced everyone outside in coats and locked all the doors and windows so no one could slip back in, insisted everyone follow and crossed a highway so no one could go back on their own... and then took a walk WHILE telling endless stories (of great-great grandparents, wars, exciting stuff). Eventually even intense child quieted - fresh air, sun, and we pointed out all the signs of spring aggressively. (Child did have tantrum but overall it worked.)

5. KNOW THAT YOU ARE A CHAMPION AND NEVER FORGET IT AND HASHEM IS YOUR PARTNER IN THIS AND HE IS PROUD OF YOU AND IS ROOTING FOR YOU even when it doesn't feel like it! and tomorrow is a new day. And if you got through the day without petch (or much petch) you are a WINNER!!!!

6. If kids are the type you can make a dessert on Yom tov as long as you eat it that day....

7. lower our expectations. this ain't gonna be a nap taking sort of holiday. (how this works with sedarim has yet to be explained.) Goals include: everyone getting some sort of food in their bodies, wearing clothes instead of pajamas (negotiable), perhaps davening!, trying to keep the peace and perhaps even laughing and creating moments of love or harmony AND HOLDING DARN TIGHT TO THOSE MOMENTS AND REMEMBERING THEM WHEN THEY DISAPPEAR A MOMENT LATER!!

(posting anon bec my kid's issues are not mine to advertise)

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:52 pm
anon above again.
Other ideas:

take out family albums and tell the stories of when kids were little all dramatized (kids love that)

when all else fails laugh at yourself loud and long the kids usually are surprised but end up laughing along with you and it creates this nice moment.

broken telephone
mother may I
red light, green light
Ali baba and the forty thieves
the ring game
meatballs and spaghetti!!
who took the cookie from the cookie jar
we play 'challenges' where I give them ridiculous challenges (balance on one foot while hopping backwards and singing od yishama!) and they all end up laughing at themselves and each other and I CAN SIT ON THE COUCH WHILE THEY DO IT

BASICALLY ALL THE GAMES FROM THE 90S WHEN WE HAD BNOS REMEMBER???

some of these last only five minutes, some twenty. But even a two minute game can calm everyone down and make a feeling of structure.

JLi

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:25 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
anon above again.
Other ideas:

take out family albums and tell the stories of when kids were little all dramatized (kids love that)

when all else fails laugh at yourself loud and long the kids usually are surprised but end up laughing along with you and it creates this nice moment.

broken telephone
mother may I
red light, green light
Ali baba and the forty thieves
the ring game
meatballs and spaghetti!!
who took the cookie from the cookie jar
we play 'challenges' where I give them ridiculous challenges (balance on one foot while hopping backwards and singing od yishama!) and they all end up laughing at themselves and each other and I CAN SIT ON THE COUCH WHILE THEY DO IT

BASICALLY ALL THE GAMES FROM THE 90S WHEN WE HAD BNOS REMEMBER???

some of these last only five minutes, some twenty. But even a two minute game can calm everyone down and make a feeling of structure.

Brown, your ideas are amazing!!
Regretfully, the 90's were a long time ago, and my brain is anyway fried from being home for 3 weeks!!!

Do you mind sending me a pm and reminding me how those games are played?
I vaguely remember broken telephone and cookie jar, the others I don't.
The challenges sound perfect for my boys, if you have any other examples, I'd surely appreciate them.

Your post really sounds like a proper coping strategies for Pesach.
There are only so many board games one can play in day.
Thanking you in advance.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics