Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why pay FULL tuition

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:15 pm
In lakewood they say a tuition break for playgroup but not for schools. Schools are different the schools rely on our tuition to pay their mortgage and bills.etc. Thats not the whole building, right now the light are off. I can't see why assistant can't file unemployment. Teachers are really still working hard. I know my kids teachers are. But since no internet like some of the more modern schools. teacher are saving money on cosmetics saving time on getting dressed they are in the comfort of their home. juggling just like we all are. Please don't tell me they are putting in the hours they normally normally would. My daughter is supposed to have a big lunch and assembly right after peach. she will be so dissapointed if schools are still shut. This is teachers hardest part of the year directing it, supplies are used her teacher will have it easy this year. We will be using our supplies crayons, glue scissors and more. My kids were not told to take home there supplies and they left it in school. Homework is but they are putting a burden on us parent too. (usually my kids don't have homework after purim. older kids have a minimum. Now I have to keep track of the phone lines, do kria, reading, help explain work to all kids. Preschool child was given a hagadah to be made at home.
separet discussion but lets not forget, for people in chinuch they had ditributions for reduced prices. This year we can All use reduced prices. Cant we all at least pay a smaller amount for tuition this is a vent but I would like to hear your answers

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:17 pm
The Baltimore rabbanim gave halachic sources for this decision. You can look it up on Baltimore Jewish Life.

chicco

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:21 pm
I would venture to say that even though teachers are providing "less" for their classes, they are probably working double as hard. The have to work under much more difficult conditions, and they have to create a whole new method for teaching.

I understand why we need to pay full tuition, what I don't love is how we are supposed to when a lot of people don't have their usual income coming in.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:26 pm
If you need a hardship break, then ask for one. I'm sure other people in need are or will be doing so. I doubt schools will be able to collect what they normally would this year.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:26 pm
I’m not in Lakewood, but I’m working just as hard if not harder than I do when we’re in school. Maybe because we have internet and I teach older kids just 1 subject the expectations are different, but I’m teaching live for a full period, plus making materials for kids who can’t join us live, plus creating and grading daily assessments to make sure the kids are actually joining me and absorbing information. I’m on my computer for 4-5 hours during the day, plus grading daily papers on my phone while I put the baby to sleep, plus another 2 hours at night and some catch up on the weekends. And I’m a teacher who does all my prep for the year over the summer.
The day they cut my pay is the day I stop it. Because if they’re not paying me I can’t afford to buy new toys every week to get my 2 hours of live teaching in. And if they’re not paying me I can’t afford disposables so I don’t have to wash dishes and can work instead. And if they’re not paying me I can’t pay for overpriced food to be delivered since I can’t make it out since I’m working.

Don’t get me wrong, I love teaching and I’m happy I’m still able to do it, but it’s taking up a huge amount of time and I couldn’t afford that time if I wasn’t being paid for it.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:33 pm
1. Tuition is a anticipated cost - people have budgeted for it. Yes - you are not getting the same level schooling accustom to, but this is an outstanding situation.

2. Not all families are negatively financially impacted at this time.

so the two of those items together - makes it totally reasonable for tuition to continue.

That said

3. Families with financial hardship have always been able to ask for tuition reduction. This is no different.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:38 pm
Speak to any school administrator in Lakewood, and they will tell you that you wish the incoming tuition dollars covers the annual school budget. Schools are constantly running on a deficit, due to the fact that so many parents cannot/do not pay what they should. Teachers are paid late because there is always a shortfall, and fundraisers only partially cover the gap.

So despite the savings right now on the electric bills, trust me, the schools need our money to stay solvent. You want them to exist and take your kid back when all this is over, right? Why do you think several schools have closed in recent years? If we don't pay our tuition, more schools will ch'v fold....and what will happen in September when kids don't have a school to go to? You want your kids' class size to jump to 50? Trust me, if they cut the incoming tuition money, we may not have schools left to send to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics