Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Are rabbanim from every community saying stay home?
Previous  1  2

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:32 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
The rabbis who are allowing people to gather outdoors to daven are probably not telling anyone to stay home for Pesach. Because they clearly know better than the medical professionals.

I'm genuinely curious why are outdoor minyanim with people spread apart worse than going to the grocery store? It is in the open air with people standing 8 ft apart. Everyone keeps knocking this & I truly want to understand.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:57 am
Waterbury, CT Rabbonim say no traveling, no guests.

imabima

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I'm genuinely curious why are outdoor minyanim with people spread apart worse than going to the grocery store? It is in the open air with people standing 8 ft apart. Everyone keeps knocking this & I truly want to understand.

At this point, grocery shopping is considered necessary for survival and davening with a minyan is considered unneeded exposure. It's not that one is necessarily more dangerous, just one is vital and the other isn't. And even grocery shopping should be done only as NEEDED!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:10 am

Whenever you go out of your home, you run the risk of exposure or passing on a contagion. Unless you literally keep your gloved hands tied behind your back, and have an N95 mask put on properly across your nose and mouth.

Food is essential for survival, as I'm sure you're aware. So there's no choice but to allow people to get food. With such a contagious virus out in the air, the proper thing to do is to take every single precaution that we can. The list of dead keeps on growing, and the number of hospitalized is dis-proportionally coming from Jewish parts of towns in both Israel & in New York.

I did hear of something really nice in one of the streets in Williamsburg. The men stood right outside their front doors or on their porches, and one man with a very loud voice led the davening. The houses are very close together, but yet definitely more than 6 feet apart, & no one took more than a step or two outside their own doors. I think it was a really nice and creative way to arrange a davening. Understandably, this cannot be done in most places.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:12 am

The latest research out of MIT, published in the most recent of JAMA (journal of american medical association) found droplets expelled in coughs and sneezes were able to travel up to 27 feet.

27 FEET.

So they are recommending the CDC change their recommendations from 6 feet to 27.

You can find the research online through jama

keym

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:27 am
little neshamala wrote:
The latest research out of MIT, published in the most recent of JAMA (journal of american medical association) found droplets expelled in coughs and sneezes were able to travel up to 27 feet.

27 FEET.

So they are recommending the CDC change their recommendations from 6 feet to 27.

You can find the research online through jama

But are they going to recommend that we shouldn't go on our porches?
I live in a townhouse development. My porch has around 8 ft separation to my neighbor and to hers, etc.
My kids go on the porch and talk to the neighbors on their porch. It's the highlight of their day and maintains all our sanity.
So why can't my husband daven on our porch and the neighbor on his, etc. We easily have a minyan just with my strip.
The Rabbanim are saying no, assur, chillul Hashem so we're listening.
But still.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:37 am
keym wrote:
I live in a townhouse development. My porch has around 8 ft separation to my neighbor and to hers, etc.
My kids go on the porch and talk to the neighbors on their porch. It's the highlight of their day and maintains all our sanity.
So why can't my husband daven on our porch and the neighbor on his, etc. We easily have a minyan just with my strip.
But still.

I dont think it matters what they end up recommending. The virus behaves the same. So if its indeed true, that in certain conditions droplets can travel 27 feet, (and according to this research it appears so), then going outside within 27 feet of people can be unsafe.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:39 am
small bean wrote:
Rabbi boxt part of this? I know he specifically told 2 families they can travel.

Rav Bakst is chassidish????

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:40 am

What Imabima said.
And I can imagine that some people get carried away, pace, etc. in a minyan.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:44 am
keym wrote:
But still.

I think that if you asked a medical professional knowledgeable in covid 19, you would be told that hanging out on porches 8 ft from one another is not recommended. Whether for minyan or for socializing.

small bean

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I agree with you. I don't believe there is any known rav in Detroit giving an "all clear" to travel for pesach. Pretty sure this is fake news.

Either it was said a few weeks ago when things were different, or it was said regarding a specific family or 2, or it wasn't said at all.

I think it would be ok to ask the name of the rav giving the blanket statement to one and all that traveling for pesach this year is perfectly ok.

It was said this week and both people don't have any reason other than they want to be with family. I don't know if he's telling everyone who asks or not as I only know that these 2 people asked.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:59 am
A car with a loudspeaker just drove past my apartment.

My Hebrew is not great, and neither is my hearing, but I could pick out the words "house, in place, home, health, etc."

I'm assuming the English translation is "Stay home."

Miri1

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 2:09 pm
RE davening outside:
The wind can carry droplets further than where they might land inside.
So outside and insides each have risks.

Besides, who is making sure that every person is staying the requisite distance and any given point, including after the minyan has ended?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:00 pm
small bean wrote:
It was said this week and both people don't have any reason other than they want to be with family. I don't know if he's telling everyone who asks or not as I only know that these 2 people asked.

Definitely good to advocate here about what was told to those 2 people and encourage people to go away. It seems smart and safe. BTW, are you sure he says it to everyone? Maybe there are extenuating circumstances that you don't know about and they don't want to share. Maybe it is something they don't even think of but the Rav know about their situation and that's why he feels it is the best plan.
Please be cautious about what you (unwittingly) encourage for others.

small bean

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Definitely good to advocate here about what was told to those 2 people and encourage people to go away. It seems smart and safe. BTW, are you sure he says it to everyone? Maybe there are extenuating circumstances that you don't know about and they don't want to share. Maybe it is something they don't even think of but the Rav know about their situation and that's why he feels it is the best plan.
Please be cautious about what you (unwittingly) encourage for others.

I'm not encouraging anything. Anyone in Detroit is free to ask.

The question was any Rabbi allow going away and I know 2 people who asked this Rabbi and were told yes.

I don't live in Detroit and don't care what others do. I don't think it is my business.

I didn't ask any Rabbi as I am always home for yom tov. This does not apply to me at all. Nothing has changed on my end.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:10 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Since you are anonymous, would you be willing to say which community this is?

I live in Monsey. I didn't hear of any Rabbi's saying anything. I don't think it's something Rebbi's need to say, it's common sense. I think most people are home regardless. It looks like a ghost town here. (In my neighborhood). Everyone is home.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:31 pm

Even if men are saying they are standing far apart, it has already been found to not always be true. Look at the chart in the link I posted. Its unfortunately clear as day :
https://www.themarker.com/news.....04687

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 3:51 pm
As reliable as reports from friends may be, may I suggest that people share firsthand information only>
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics