Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Is it permissible to buy baby gear/furniture before the baby

sari00

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:16 am
Just wondering what ppl do, and in this no stores open situation... basics- Babys carseat and bassinet or best to wait?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:23 am
Definitely permissible.
The question is if you think it's an ayin hara or not.
The rule with ayin hara is: it's only an ayin hara if you think it's an ayin hara.
Bshaa tova!

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:28 am
My understanding is that there is nothing against it in halacha, but some have the tradition of not doing it. No such tradition in my family, so I do buy ahead so that I don't have to rush out when the baby is born.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:35 am
Personally, I would say order it but don't open the boxes and assemble until after the baby is born.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:46 am
I bought things before, but only items on sale or I was getting a deal on, and didn’t open any boxes until after the baby was born

paperflowers

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:09 pm
I’ve heard people say it’s fine if you leave it in someone else’s house. When I asked my rav he said that isn’t necessary.

Note: I’m not into ayin hara stuff.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:32 pm
Yes you can order. Some people feel more comfortable keeping the boxes closed.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:37 pm
We asked Rabbi Belsky a”h 7 years ago this question. He said it was ok to buy just try not to show it to other people.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:38 pm
I grew up knowing that it's something you don't do.
With my 1st 3 I never bought in advance.
Now I'm pregnant after a long break and don't own a single baby item.
I plan to buy basics like undershirts, some outfits and a car seat.
Everything else dh can buy on his own (Pampers wipes bottles etc...)
I'm not buying any big ticket items like nursery furniture, stroller until after. Not because of ayin harah, I don't believe in that.
Just because if ch"v something happens I don't want to have those things in my house.

lfab

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:45 pm
Normally, if it was your minhag to wait I would say to wait. But due to the current situation I would think that you should buy the very basics ahead. If you're not due for awhile still I would wait until closer. But if you're due soon (within the next 4-6 weeks) then maybe order the few things you'll need right away. Many stores have extended delivery times now and even in store many items keep going out of stock. You/DH may not be able to get to a storee right after you give birth and many hospitals are discharging faster so there may not be time. I would recommend you get a car seat, since place for baby to sleep, diapers, wipes, pacifier/bottles of you plan to use, 1-2 blankets, burp clothes, and a few basic outfits. B'sha Tova.

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:07 pm
I never did but this time I asked my rabbi if I could and he said definitely no problem

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 4:51 pm
I’m due Shavuos time. I don’t usually buy things in advance. However I desperately need a car seat. Clothes, I have. pampers, bottles, etc I can get from local grocery easily. Car seat I need to be able to leave hospital. I’ll wait till after Pesach though then ask about buying it in advance. I still have a few weeks time to shop around so if one store doesn’t have I can try another. Worse case I’ll borrow from my neighbor who’s baby just graduated to a bigger car seat in case I can’t get one in time
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics