Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
First Time making Pesach - halachic recap

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:11 pm
First time making Pesach.
I live in an apt and need instructions.
Can anyone point out dumbed down halachic resources?
What can be kashered? How?
I have one sink what do I do with it?
I also have chometz that I can only hide to a certain extent not get rid of obviously, which make some nervous. Same for fridge, etc.

I have things that are technically ok for Pesach.. like eggs. Can I use that?
Brand new containers... still in the packaging it came in one is wrapped on cardboard one is wrapped in plastic wrapping In my pantry....

Dh says I shouldn’t call rav to bother him... he’s much too busy with real issues 🙄
So I need a crash course.

(I grew up in a home where everything that LOOKED Like chometz was dumped.
Every surface In the kitchen was double covered. Things were kashered that don’t have to actually be kashered... etc so I don’t know what’s real and not. Also dh family does things differently (but he doesn’t really know... and they do a lot of things just because they’ve always been doing it that way, so I need to know Halacha. I also keep hearing there are a lot of kulos this year...)

I know there are a ton of resources out there.. please direct me to them..

Thank you!

Chang kosher vsameach!

EPL

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 8:52 pm
OP, please tell us what your kitchen looks like, so we can help you. Do you have stainless sinks, and what type of counters do you have in the kitchen? Also, do you have a self cleaning oven?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:12 pm
Read notes from R Scheinberg z"l. Remember that the mitzvah is not to own and not to eat chometz on pesach. That's what you should focus on. Nothing else.
https://www.yeshiva.co/midrash/13351

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:52 pm
EPL wrote:
OP, please tell us what your kitchen looks like, so we can help you. Do you have stainless sinks, and what type of counters do you have in the kitchen? Also, do you have a self cleaning oven?

Stainless steel sink.
Stone countertops (Not granite. Does it matter which stone?)

Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 10:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Read notes from R Scheinberg z"l. Remember that the mitzvah is not to own and not to eat chometz on pesach. That's what you should focus on. Nothing else.
https://www.yeshiva.co/midrash/13351

Thank You! Your a gem!
I hope your told that in real life, too!

So it says:
It is customary that any item to be kashered should not be used for 24 hours prior to kashering, in order that it should not be a ben-yomo.

Does it have to be cleaned 24 hrs before kashering?
Can I use it Friday night and kashered mtzshb?

2) FLOORS: In our times we don't have earthen floors with deep cracks in them. It is sufficient for tiled or covered floors to be swept and washed with a household floor cleaner. Cracks and spaces between tiles do not have to be checked if the cleaning solution reaches into Them.

There are Cheerios stuck between the moldings and the floor (my toddler)
I just spray it with household cleaner?

Sinks - do I need to line it or use an insert if I don’t put anything in the sink? (I only have one sink it’s a habit)

Oven - there are instructions for cleaning it but I have self clean... not sure how to use it though.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank You! Your a gem!

So it says:
It is customary that any item to be kashered should not be used for 24 hours prior to kashering, in order that it should not be a ben-yomo.

Yes, cleaned 24 hours before kashering. And make sure if you want to kasher your stainless steel sink, that you clean it well and don't use hot water for 24 hours.

Which probably means you can't use the utensils Friday night that you want to kasher m"sh, because they might not get as well cleaned on Shabbos.

Quote:
2) FLOORS: In our times we don't have earthen floors with deep cracks in them. It is sufficient for tiled or covered floors to be swept and washed with a household floor cleaner. Cracks and spaces between tiles do not have to be checked if the cleaning solution reaches into Them.

Yup.

Quote:
Sinks - do I need to line it or use an insert if I don’t put anything in the sink? (I only have one sink it’s a habit)

This is a shaila worth asking your rav. It's not a bother.

Quote:
Oven - there are instructions for cleaning it but I have self clean... not sure how to use it though.

Can you look up a manual for your oven online?

Usually, it's pretty easy to self clean.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 10:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank You! Your a gem!

So it says:

If you use the items Friday night for hot chometz you would have to wash it right after and only use cold water on it for the next 24 hours with no chometz. Same for stainless sinks. Only use to wash your hands with cold water for al netilas yadayim.

Yes if he can't reach the Cheerios to eat on pesach, that is enough.

If it's stainless steel and you kasher it, no problem. If it's another material and it's used like a bathroom sink with nothing put in it then that should be fine. But make sure that's really the case for all household members.

Self clean is enough. Just take out the racks. Click self clean. And follow the prompts. You can do libum on the racks afterwards by putting them back into the oven at 550 for 40 minutes of 500 for 1 hour (so they don't discolor or week in self clean).

See my responses in italics.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Mar 31 2020, 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 10:29 pm
This might be helpful, but of course check with your own rav.

https://www.yutorah.org/lectur.....9850/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:38 am
[quote="imasinger"]

Quote:
Yes, cleaned 24 hours before kashering. And make sure if you want to kasher your stainless steel sink, that you clean it well and don't use hot water for 24 hours.

Which probably means you can't use the utensils Friday night that you want to kasher m"sh, because they might not get as well cleaned on Shabbos.

I was only planning to kasher countertop, sink and stove/oven.

Quote:

Can you look up a manual for your oven online?

Usually, it's pretty easy to self clean.

I meant what else other than self clean do I have to do.
Ramom addressed that thanks

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:47 am
ra_mom wrote:

Quote:

If you use the items Friday night for hot chometz you would have to wash it right after and only use cold water on it for the next 24 hours with no chometz. Same for stainless sinks. Only use to wash your hands with cold water for al netilas yadayim

Kashering The sink and stove (and countertops, If I can).
Sink it will be shabbos so easy to only use cold water.
I was wondering about using the oven Friday night though. :/

Quote:

If it's stainless steel and you kasher it, no problem. If it's another material and it's used like a bathroom sink with nothing put in it then that should be fine. But make sure that's really the case for all household members

It’s stainless steel. No one puts anything in there ever, because the way I understand it the sink is neither Meat or dairy, so there is nothing we can put in there.

Quote:
Self clean is enough. Just take out the racks. Click self clean. And follow the prompts. You can do libum on the racks afterwards by putting them back into the oven at 550 for 40 minutes of 500 for 1 hour (so they don't discolor or week in self clean).

Thanks

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:58 pm
Thank you all. These responses really calmed me that I can do it. I also found hands on videos that were really clear how to do it.

What about silver - does the candelabra need to be kashered?

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 2:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all. These responses really calmed me that I can do it. I also found hands on videos that were really clear how to do it.

What about silver - does the candelabra need to be kashered?

No! You are aren’t eating the candelabra
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics