Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Clean book Ideas

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 12:17 am
Ds 16 desperate for reading material. He won’t reread anything and read whatever interested him from the Jewish library already.
He likes action stories. Any suggestions with kosher stories for chassidish boy?
Need to keep him occupied over yom Tov if not he’ll make the whole family go crazy. Can't Believe It

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 12:59 am
Try non fiction adventure type books, here are a couple (these are totally clean):
The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill
A Night to Remember by Walter Lord

Lots of teenage boys like the books by James Herriott, and those are so beloved that I am sure they are still in print.

I know lots of boys like the original Sherlock Holmes books by Arthur Conan Doyle and I'm sure they are clean, though I haven't actually read them.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:00 am
John Buchan, first World War spy/adventure fiction. Absolutely clean, and most of them don't even mention a woman. One or two anti-semitic comments, but a very minor feature that I just put down to culture and ignore for the sake of the books.

The 39 Steps
Greenmantle
Mr Greatheart
And a few more.

If he will read on the computer or a phone, or if you have a kindle, these are all out of copyright and available for free download from Project Gutenberg.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:43 am
Alister Maclean is also ww2 sort of era and very clean-I don't think many of his books had a single female in, never mind anything more inappropriate. The guns of naverone, ice station zebra and where eagles dare are probably his most famous as they were made into movies.

Reality

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:30 am
There are a lot of clean adventure type classics but first I would need to know what reading level he is on.

In your OP you said you are chassiddish. Is your son on a high school reading level? Or more junior high? I want to be able to recommend books that he can read and enjoy!

malky800

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:25 am
Take a look at kosherbooks.org they have suggestions with the level of recommendation

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:29 am
Reality wrote:
There are a lot of clean adventure type classics but first I would need to know what reading level he is on.

In your OP you said you are chassiddish. Is your son on a high school reading level? Or more junior high? I want to be able to recommend books that he can read and enjoy!

I think he can read high school level it’s just hard to say since the Jewish books are usually not written on any major level.

Reality

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think he can read high school level it’s just hard to say since the Jewish books are usually not written on any major level.

Great!

I think I will give some easier suggestions also just in case.

Easier:

Far North
Call it Courage
The Iceberg Hermit
Black Beauty
Old Yeller
Where the Red Fern Grows
Swiss Family Robinson
Around the World in 80 days

Harder:

Robinson Crusoe
Kidnapped
Beau Geste
Call of the Wild
White Fang
The Three Musketeers
Treasure Island
The Count of Monte Cristo

Happy reading!

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:52 am
Agatha Christie books-not sure about all of them being 100% kosher by some should be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children