Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Corona virus at Maimonides hospital
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:16 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Not five star?!
The post that started this was talking about death due to negligence and neglect. Personally I have experienced no action taken to relieve pain or provide diagnostic testing during medical emergency.
While this has no relevance here, and shouldn't, you should also know since you brought up the subject of free medical care, that the patients I discussed are all spending fortunes on health insurance, and spending fortunes on out of pocket expenses that insurance doesn't pay for.
When discussing matters of life and death, people should not post from a place of ignorance.

Patients are getting bad care citywide because we are currently a war zone and hospitals dont have enuf staffing and supplies. I am in touch with nurses across the NYC area and it seems the same is all over. Its horrifying but true. Peds and orthopedic nurses are becoming icu nurses overnite and are taking care of way too many pts.

Just One

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:20 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Patient care is impt to me and I am paid. It is MOST definitely not a part of my job to put my life in danger to save yours. Read my original post with article regarding the Ebola outbreak that explains tbis.

If course not. That is self explanatory. Your posts though come across as sounding very cavalier (statement about 5 star experience stands out)
Also I've watched nurses getting in and out of PPE when we had a flu outbreak in the NICU and I've never seen them taking 10 minutes especially if that monitor looked concerning. 60 seconds max was more like it. Caring and sacrifice (of convenience not life obviously) are part of the job.

Just One

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:22 pm
But I'm sure if we're all stressed out you must be 100 times so. Just remember there's a real person with real family behind that patient. Good luck!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:23 pm
You are completely naive about the job of a nurse. You are running yourself ragged trying to meet everyone's needs and all the while being met with distain and complaints. Horrible horrible condition to work in.

Suctioning a patient increases secretions so there is a fine balance between suctioning and leaving secretions. I doubt it was a nurse who killed a patient but covid 19.

And you may not realize this but most of the nurses on the floors are not trained to work with ventilators and are very understaffed.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:24 pm
Just One wrote:
If course not. That is self explanatory. Your posts though come across as sounding very cavalier (statement about 5 star experience stands out)
Also I've watched nurses getting in and out of PPE when we had a flu outbreak in the NICU and I've never seen them taking 10 minutes especially if that monitor looked concerning. 60 seconds max was more like it. Caring and sacrifice (of convenience not life obviously) are part of the job.

Yes. The unwashed masses should just be grateful that the holy doctors and nurses spare them a few seconds to lay their holy eyes upon them, and not dare to complain. Just be grateful. Be humble. Not expect paid professionals to do their job when so much is at stake.

Just One

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:27 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
You are completely naive about the job of a nurse. You are running yourself ragged trying to meet everyone's needs and all the while being met with distain and complaints. Horrible horrible condition to work in.

Suctioning a patient increases secretions so there is a fine balance between suctioning and leaving secretions. I doubt it was a nurse who killed a patient but covid 19.

I really don't have experience about what's going on currently and you're right that I shouldn't be commenting on that. But generally there's a huge difference between facilities so obviously there's something causing that discrepancy

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:27 pm
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne......html

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:38 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Yes. The unwashed masses should just be grateful that the holy doctors and nurses spare them a few seconds to lay their holy eyes upon them, and not dare to complain. Just be grateful. Be humble. Not expect paid professionals to do their job when so much is at stake.

Wow.
No words.

Yes be grateful because most of us go out of our way above and beyond every single day to care for you when you are most vulnerable.
And then you attack us becauwe we draw the line at risking our lives.

Just One

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:09 pm
Wow.
No words.

Yes be grateful because most of us go out of our way above and beyond every single day to care for you when you are most vulnerable.
And then you attack us becauwe we draw the line at risking our lives.

Please go back and reread the responses. That is not why people were turned off

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:12 pm

how dare you!

Read the following and weep. Read it and then maybe you will stop blaming drs and nurses for neglecting their patients during this pandemic. This is a situation that makes it next to impossible to give all of our patients what we normally would give and give happily. And it is bad in every single overburdened facility in the New York area. Medical professionals do not deserve to be attacked at this time. And I have only copied just one of the desperate pleas I have been reading from my colleagues. Everyone is suffering because the situation is impossible. Dont make it worse.
Shame on you.

From the desk of Dr Bennett
Please... Don't just read it... Hear it ...

This is Dr Ellie Bennett coming to you again from from Queens.
I spent 24 of the last 36 in my ER.
It's an absolute nightmare.
I personally intubated 3 patients in just under an hour.
We have over 400 patients admitted with coronavirus- 82 of them on ventilators.
To put things in perspective, My ER which is built to have about 80-100 patients, had 172 people ADMITTED with covid 19- crammed into spots, corners and crevices. And all of our ICU and step-down units together can usually handle 50 patients. We are managing ventilators in hallways.

In 22 years of medicine, I've never seen the staff look this tired- physically and emotionally drained. At least twice an hour we hear the call overhead that somebody upstairs is in cardiac arrest. This acutely exacerbates our distress. People that we were caring for are dead 12 hours later.
30 year olds. 50 year olds. 70 year olds. Nobody is spared.
We are at the breaking point .
We are out of space in our hospital.
We are out of space in our emergency room.
I was caring for a woman with an oxygen level at 64% and I had to have her sitting in a chair for an hour until I could find a stretcher.
Multiple doctors in the hospital are out sick with the virus.
I'm caring for patients in their homes and as long as their oxygen level is above 90% I'm trying to keep them from going to the hospital.

The community has been sending love , food and supplies. It is a sight to behold and it does lift our spirits.

But we need more. I'm still asked daily about people wanting to leave town for the holidays. I'm still asked daily if parents can come for pesach to be with their children.
I'm begging you please try and understand the gravity of the situation.
Please stay home for the holiday.
Please do not travel.
For the love of everything holy, please stop going to secret minyamin.
Continue the prayers- don't stop for one second!!
But do it from home.
Do it with your children.
Have us in mind.
We need it.
We all need it.

Edward (Ellie) Bennett, MD

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:16 pm
Maybe the mods should lock and dissappear this thread.
People are dying in this city at a rate of 1 per 4 minutes (yesterday) and medical professionals and hatzala are being disparaged here by jewish women.
Noone should have to read this.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:19 pm
how dare you!

Read the following and weep. Read it and then maybe you will stop blaming drs and nurses for neglecting their patients during this pandemic. This is a situation that makes it next to impossible to give all of our patients what we normally would give and give happily. And it is bad in every single overburdened facility in the New York area. Medical professionals do not deserve to be attacked at this time. And I have only copied just one of the desperate pleas I have been reading from my colleagues. Everyone is suffering because the situation is impossible. Dont make it worse.
Shame on you.

I think you're confused. No one here is saying go outside and get sick. No one is saying daven with a minyan. You're arguing the wrong point. To think that patients shouldn't get basic care and equate that with a 5 star hotel experience is beyond callous to the victims who are dying left and right of this disease. It's one thing if you acknowledge that care is substandard. But to decide that it's too high of an expectation, that patients who go to a hospital should be helped to live and not left to die...what are we left with then.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:23 pm
Its a general attitude that unfortunately infects a noisy few. The attitude of I deserve to get things for free. I deserve for others to volunteer of their time and energy to give me exactly what I want and when I want. And is now translating into a total lack of undertanding as to what medical providers are now going through and demanding that they put their lives at risk for me me me .
I have faith that most of our community is not like that, its the few selfish freeloaders that make the most noise

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:28 pm
tweety1 wrote:

but they are one piece of corrupt. They must have some kind of contract slash agreement slash money arrangements with the hospital otherwise theres no valid excuse for refusing to take to a different hospital.

How beautiful. While my son is running around, putting his life on the line, there you go bashing Hatzolah. Is your husband risking HIS life for some strangers? Why did I even entertain the thought that maybe now, maybe under these extenuating circumstances, someone would come onto Imamother and give credit where credit is due? But no, keep bashing the one group of selfless individuals that are risking their lives for you. A Shame.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:29 pm
I think you're confused. No one here is saying go outside and get sick. No one is saying daven with a minyan. You're arguing the wrong point. To think that patients shouldn't get basic care and equate that with a 5 star hotel experience is beyond callous to the victims who are dying left and right of this disease. It's one thing if you acknowledge that care is substandard. But to decide that it's too high of an expectation, that patients who go to a hospital should be helped to live and not left to die...what are we left with then.

Dr. Bennets words re going outside were secondary to my point. I wanted you to hear what ia going on in all our hospitals in NYC

Noone is being callous. Everyone is.going above and beyond in inhuman conditions. I have not see anyone being left to die. Social media posts report things that are then repeated as truths and induce panic. I agree that patients are currently probably not getting care that they should get.. all over... but that is not the fault of nurses or doctors. There are just not enough staff or equipment or facilities to properly care for the huge influx of very sick people. That is the sad reality of this pandemic. Totally cruel to start throwing blame especially at those in the thick of it. Many of my colleagues are already out sick and I have had multiple exposures already so your attacks pour salt on a wound. Stay home safe with your family and know that gd forbid should any of your family be in need we will give you the best that we can no matter how you talk or behave. Because that is who we are.
(Btw My comment re 5 star expectations was meant regarding normal periods )

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:29 pm

We are left with too few doctors, too few nurses, too few support staff, too few ventilators, too few beds.

Too many patients.

The healthcare system is having difficulty handling the volume.

That's what they've been worried about all along and it's already happening.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:32 pm
Dr. Bennets words re going outside were secondary to my point. I wanted you to hear what ia going on in all our hospitals in NYC

Noone is being callous. Everyone is.going above and beyond in inhuman conditions. I have not see anyone being left to die. Social media posts report things that are then repeated as truths and induce panic. I agree that patients are currently probably not getting care that they should get.. all over... but that is not the fault of nurses or doctors. There are just not enough staff or equipment or facilities to properly care for the huge influx of very sick people. That is the sad reality of this pandemic. Totally cruel to start throwing blame especially at those in the thick of it. Many of my colleagues are already out sick and I have had multiple exposures already so your attacks pour salt on a wound. Stay home safe with your family and know that gd forbid should any of your family be in need we will give you the best that we can no matter how you talk or behave. Because that is who we are.
(Btw My comment re 5 star expectations was meant regarding normal periods )

No one is blaming you personally. You just seem to have an attitude of complete derision for anyone who is not in the medical profession and has any sort of expectations. You've made that very clear in your posts.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
How beautiful. While my son is running around, putting his life on the line, there you go bashing Hatzolah. Is your husband risking HIS life for some strangers? Why did I even entertain the thought that maybe now, maybe under these extenuating circumstances, someone would come onto Imamother and give credit where credit is due? But no, keep bashing the one group of selfless individuals that are risking their lives for you. A Shame.

I'm sorry, aquamarine. The comments on this thread disparaging hatzolah have been disgusting. Most decent people have a deep respect for what the members deal with on a regular basis, and are in awe of their hard work in this crisis.

I think some people are feeling scared and vulnerable right now, and lashing out inappropriately.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:36 pm
No one is blaming you personally. You just seem to have an attitude of complete derision for anyone who is not in the medical profession and has any sort of expectations. You've made that very clear in your posts.

No

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:39 pm
There's a reason Hatzola is no longer taking corona patients to Maimonides. [Comment removed by Mod]
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics