Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Buying takeout is it safe?
Previous  1  2

etky

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:21 pm
Miri1 wrote:
I think the fridge slows the deterioration of the virus.
I've been transferring packs of eggs to a separate container, as I use them.
I have lots of stuff in my Pesachdig fridge now but plan to wipe it all down, even though three days have passed because I'm concerned the cold inhibits the process.
More the freezer I'd expect.

So we also were beginning to worry about the influence of cold vs. warm environments and have started to wipe down the dairy as we take it out of its 'quarantine' bag and use it.
With frozen things what we started doing this week is opening the packages while wearing gloves, and pouring the contents directly into a different container or ziploc bag.
Davka eggs I'm not so worried about cause they are usually not refrigerated here in stores and by the time we get them it's been three days since anyone has actually touched them - but truth is I always wash my hands really well after handling eggs anyway.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:26 pm
My husband said that a new study came out that heat doesn’t kill the virus which is why Florida has tons of corona even though it’s hot there.

So I think I’m not going to buy takeout because putting it in a microwave might not necessarily mean that you killed the virus.

Life is too scary right now.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband said that a new study came out that heat doesn’t kill the virus which is why Florida has tons of corona even though it’s hot there.

So I think I’m not going to buy takeout because putting it in a microwave might not necessarily mean that you killed the virus.

You mean to say all those videos with the blow dryer up your nose and throat are not true? Hmmm...

(I'm being sarcastic here...)

asmileaday

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I highly doubt Florida weather ever reaches 350 degrees... the study may have been referring to warm weather, not necessarily heat from an oven.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There's heat and there's heat. Temperatures around the same as body temperature are considered hot for climate.

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:37 pm
I would buy cooked food that can be reheated , only salads from someone I really trust

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

As others have posted, there was speculation regarding CLIMATE killing the Corona virus and since the Corona virus is infecting people in warm climates, there is no evidence to indicate that it will weaken in places like New York City when it gets warmer.

Cooking food kills the virus - of that there is no doubt.

What is a gray area is that the virus is not spread through the gastrointestinal system. Therefore it doesn't seem as though one would get sick from eating something that had the virus. The gastric juices in the stomach would kill it as opposed to pathogens which are spread through the gastrointestinal system like cholera or various forms of food poisoning.

However, there is a possibility that by touching the container it was in, one would get infected by touching the face - e.g. eyes or nose. That is why some people are advising that caution be taken with the containers that food comes in.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:52 pm
The coronavirus is not killed in the digestive tract.

Please see this article and others which cite its findings.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32215956

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:11 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
The coronavirus is not killed in the digestive tract.

Please see this article and others which cite its findings.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32215956

Obviously there is much not known but current research is that is is extremely unlikely that the disease is spread through eating food.

Everyone has to determine what level of precautionary measures they take but I personally feel comfortable eating food whereas packaging might be problematic to me.

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/.....route

goforit

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:23 pm
https://vosizneias.com/2020/04.....food/

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:32 am
I don't understand this thread. There is always a risk when ordering takeout. At any time, the person handling your food could be harboring a sickness, and this sickness can be a lot more deadly than corona. Most people eat at places and order food from places that they feel comfortable with. Places where they believe that the workers practice good hygiene. If you are concerned that a worker could sneeze on your food and you'd get corona, then you shouldn't ever be ordering from such a place because that worker should put the food in the garbage and start again.
Either you trust an establishment to follow food safety and hygiene rules or you don't. Corona should not influence what you do.
Signed: someone who ordered in a delicious chametz dinner this evening and wouldn't have dreamed of reheating it even if she had a chametz oven available.

Miri1

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:38 am
etky wrote:
So we also were beginning to worry about the influence of cold vs. warm environments and have started to wipe down the dairy as we take it out of its 'quarantine' bag and use it.
With frozen things what we started doing this week is opening the packages while wearing gloves, and pouring the contents directly into a different container or ziploc bag.
Davka eggs I'm not so worried about cause they are usually not refrigerated here in stores and by the time we get them it's been three days since anyone has actually touched them - but truth is I always wash my hands really well after handling eggs anyway.

Eggs are handled differently in different countries. Where I am they are require refrigeration (they're processed in a way that makes them vulnerable if not).

etky

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 2:17 am
Miri1 wrote:
Eggs are handled differently in different countries. Where I am they are require refrigeration (they're processed in a way that makes them vulnerable if not).

I know. Here they are not rinsed (evidence of which often remains on the eggs TMI ) which makes storage at room temperature less risky.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics