Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Help! How do I get food to my inlaws safely?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:02 pm
Being as my husband is the only child living near his elderly parents, we've been doing their shopping and cooking. My mil gave me her pesach list 2 weeks ago, and I picked up yogurt, cheese, and lox then and stuck it on my basement fridge. Also bought cereal, cake, matzah and put in guest room. Last week my husband had symptoms and self isolated. This week I felt very weak and maybe had low fever but couldn't isolate because someone has to take care of the kids.

Is there a way for me to get the stuff I bought to my inlaws safely? If it's been sitting in the fridge untouched for 2 weeks, can I take a glove and walk over and leave it in front?
Should I wipe everything off with clorox wipes wearing gloves?

I've also cooked chicken, kugel, soup for them and stuck in the freezer. I read that Corona can live in the freezer though. Can I wipe those off?

We didn't tell my inlaws we were sick because they would get very anxious. Also, I don't know where else they can get cooked food.
What should I do?

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:37 pm
This isn't medical advice but based on what I have read about handling objects is the way I would proceed.

Corona doesn't live that long on paper or cardboard. It lives longer on plastic and stainless steel or other solid surfaces but only four hours on copper :-).

All of the pantry items that you have - instruct your inlays to just put them in a corner and then wash their hands carefully after handling them. This is best practice whether or not ANYONE is known to have the virus

Wash your hands very well and then separate out the frozen items from the refrigerated item. Wash down the containers of these items with disinfectant and put them in bags or cartons. Instruct parents to put away and tell them to wash hands carefully after putting items in freezer or refrigerator.

Although there are no guarantees, I would feel that it is most unlikely that people would become infected by having this kind of delivery. It really is no different than having grocery delivered or bringing groceries home. I separate my pantry items and let them sit for a few days and wash down the refrigerated and freezer items.

etky

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:14 pm
Amarante wrote:
This isn't medical advice but based on what I have read about handling objects is the way I would proceed.

Corona doesn't live that long on paper or cardboard. It lives longer on plastic and stainless steel or other solid surfaces but only four hours on copper :-).

All of the pantry items that you have - instruct your inlays to just put them in a corner and then wash their hands carefully after handling them. This is best practice whether or not ANYONE is known to have the virus

Wash your hands very well and then separate out the frozen items from the refrigerated item. Wash down the containers of these items with disinfectant and put them in bags or cartons. Instruct parents to put away and tell them to wash hands carefully after putting items in freezer or refrigerator.

Although there are no guarantees, I would feel that it is most unlikely that people would become infected by having this kind of delivery. It really is no different than having grocery delivered or bringing groceries home. I separate my pantry items and let them sit for a few days and wash down the refrigerated and freezer items.

This basically is the protocol I use for bringing food to my father.
Only thing I would add is remind them to heat the food till it is piping hot.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:27 pm
Thank you! Only thing is it's almost assured I have Corona, rather than a risk from the store.
Does anyone know if it can live in the fridge? I'm not sure if I'm better off wiping down or just leaving there for awhile.

etky

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 2:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! Only thing is it's almost assured I have Corona, rather than a risk from the store.
Does anyone know if it can live in the fridge? I'm not sure if I'm better off wiping down or just leaving there for awhile.

I would do both.
The humidity in the fridge is detrimental to the virus' survival but the cold temperature might work in its favor.
Still, the fridge is a better environment than the freezer.
I would defrost, let it stay in the fridge for 3 days and then wipe down the containers.
Honestly, I would also try to seek professional advice on how to handle this situation since you seem fairly sure that you are ill with the virus.
Refuah shleimah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics