Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschooling Imas... What has changed for you?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:37 am
Since this coronavirus craziness.
Tons? or nothing at all?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:47 am
The only thing that has changed is not being able to go to different classes and activities for homeschoolers. Other than that it's just business as usual with more time at home than there has been in the past.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:49 am
To be very honest, I've been very depressed since everyone started homeschooling. All the negativity has really gotten into head, and everyone complaining about how difficult it is has been hard and hurtful. There is a meme going around how it's impossible to teach, work, and parent all at the same time. And when I thought about it...I've been struggling to do all 3 for years. Like really struggling. My husband even while he is now home full time won't even help.

My kids' schedules are totally different....no afternoon activities outside of the house is really hard on them. I've been trying to keep them busy and as active as possible, but it's tough

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
To be very honest, I've been very depressed since everyone started homeschooling. All the negativity has really gotten into head, and everyone complaining about how difficult it is has been hard and hurtful. There is a meme going around how it's impossible to teach, work, and parent all at the same time. And when I thought about it...I've been struggling to do all 3 for years. Like really struggling. My husband even while he is now home full time won't even help.

My kids' schedules are totally different....no afternoon activities outside of the house is really hard on them. I've been trying to keep them busy and as active as possible, but it's tough

*Hug*

I think non-homeschoolers need to understand that isolation schooling is different. The majority of homeschooled children I know usually spend many hours outdoors/on outings. Isolation schooling isn’t comparable.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 12:10 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
*Hug*

I think non-homeschoolers need to understand that isolation schooling is different. The majority of homeschooled children I know spend usually spend many hours outdoors/on outings. Isolation schooling isn’t comparable.

Thanks for the hug!

I've been homeschooling over a decade, all grades and ages. I agree isolation schooling is not the same.

But it's so hard when there are so many complaints. and when I reached out to help people get through it, I kept getting barked at. I just gave up, because it was too hard on me. My initial story to "why" we ended up homeschooling isn't pretty at all, so I get people feeling panicky and crazy and stressed. I literally started overnight. It's just so hard because even though we"ve grown into homeschooling over the years, it was so tough initially. It's like looking through a window at my past self, and probably even a bit of my current self, as I see people struggle.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:27 pm
I've been an online schooling mother for close to a decade (wow!).

So not much has changed on the surface. In fact, my kids had school as normal during this entire upheaval.

It's always been hard in certain ways, but usually I'm allowed to acknowledge that. I NEVER get a break from the kids. Everyone is ALWAYS home, all day. All meals are on my head. There is no prepared food here. We don't have a big enough vehicle for all of us so we rarely go anywhere. No friends close by. Our sanity comes primarily from our Shabbos guests.

Now I'm more stressed overall because of the tension and limbo and unending loneliness, and I'm not "allowed" to vent about it anymore, since we have it better than most people. That feeling that I'm not allowed to feel the way I'm feeling is punishing.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I've been an online schooling mother for close to a decade (wow!).

So not much has changed on the surface. In fact, my kids had school as normal during this entire upheaval.

It's always been hard in certain ways, but usually I'm allowed to acknowledge that. I NEVER get a break from the kids. Everyone is ALWAYS home, all day. All meals are on my head. There is no prepared food here. We don't have a big enough vehicle for all of us so we rarely go anywhere. No friends close by. Our sanity comes primarily from our Shabbos guests.

Now I'm more stressed overall because of the tension and limbo and unending loneliness, and I'm not "allowed" to vent about it anymore, since we have it better than most people. That feeling that I'm not allowed to feel the way I'm feeling is punishing.

100% agree with everything you said, especially not being "allowed" to feel the way I do right now. My kids also use an online school, but even those live classes have been reduced. The teachers have their own kids home now, so it makes sense! But, it's changed my kids schedules a ton

You're right...there's this notion that because we were doing this BEFORE, it's so much easier. In actually, things have always been hard, everyone else is just experiencing it now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling