Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
PSA - Unorthodox has full frontal male nudity
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:56 pm
lilies wrote:
As in;
For the audience that believes this is a real portrayal of frum life, who will feel cheated on the 'skimping' of this 'vital part of our life'..

Also, unless a movie is extremely well-done, which this one doesn't seem to considered, nudity brings it up a bit in ratings, I assume.

What brings up the "ratings" for this movie is the incredible performance by Shira Haas.

sequoia

You mean when Moshe goes swimming in Berlin? Yeah, I guess that was meant to be kind of redemptive.

amother
Oak

The show is full of Very Deep Symbolism.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:57 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Thank you. What part of episode 4? I haven't gotten that far yet, and would skip it. Thanks!

You’ll see the cousin Moishe going to a river by a bridge and start to take off his clothes. Thats the part.

heidi

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:08 pm
lilies wrote:
As in;
For the audience that believes this is a real portrayal of frum life, who will feel cheated on the 'skimping' of this 'vital part of our life'..

Also, unless a movie is extremely well-done, which this one doesn't seem to considered, nudity brings it up a bit in ratings, I assume.

Those were the smallest b@@bs I've ever seen.
Not much of a ratings pull in my opinion.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:10 pm
watergirl wrote:
You’ll see the cousin Moishe going to a river by a bridge and start to take off his clothes. Thats the part.

Thank you! How long does it last?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:21 pm
heidi wrote:

Body shaming is uncalled for.

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:23 pm
heidi wrote:

Really cuz mine are smaller.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:25 pm
heidi wrote:

That is so cruel and unnecessary.
I know some will say she exposed her breasts so she is open game to criticism. To which I say, body shaming is NEVER ok. Your face is exposed every day. Would you appreciate someone telling you you are ugly?

I haven't seen the series, but I assume they exposed her breasts at the mikva in order to allow the viewer to experience how exposed and vulnerable a woman can feel there. It wasn't necessarily for the s@x appeal, at least not as the main motive.

And it's in terrible taste - and hateful to all women- to say a woman's boobs are too small to be attractive. (Not to mention I think she's exquisitely beautiful, but that's besides the point).

asmileaday

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Honestly I dont see the big deal with the nudity in the mikvah scene- we're expected to go naked and if it makes people uncomfortable- EXACTLY. It can be uncomfortable to be nude at the mikvah in front of the ML.

They could've shot backside nudity, you know, what the ML would see if she looks (IME they always hold up a robe). They didn't need to show her nipples. But I didn't check the rating of the movie maybe it's reflected in that.
I just know that other regular tv shows and movies I watch are usually careful not to show genitals or nipples.

freilich

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Honestly I dont see the big deal with the nudity in the mikvah scene- we're expected to go naked and if it makes people uncomfortable- EXACTLY. It can be uncomfortable to be nude at the mikvah in front of the ML.

I find this quite ironic. . If the point was to show how we are nebach subjected to an uncomfortable situation, how can this actor expose herself to the entire world?

I can understand that people are uncomfortable about this part of the mikva. My post isn't to mitigate that. It's just to show, how when something is important, people will go out of their comfort zone for it. For us it's the mikva lady, and for a higher purpose. For them it's I guess whatever will make the bigger sensation.

Watergirl, I appreciate the psa.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:53 pm
The actor is not the character.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:53 pm
freilich wrote:
I find this quite ironic. . If the point was to show how we are nebach subjected to an uncomfortable situation, how can this actor expose herself to the entire world?

I can understand that people are uncomfortable about this part of the mikva. My post isn't to mitigate that. It's just to show, how when something is important, people will go out of their comfort zone for it. For us it's the mikva lady, and for a higher purpose. For them it's I guess whatever will make the bigger sensation.

I think you don't understand the concept. In movies, in order for the viewer to feel discomfort, often the actor also needs to undergo that discomfort.

You can disagree with lack of modesty in movies, but you should know it isn't always done for a 'bigger sensation'. Movies also have an artistic sensibility.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:54 pm
freilich wrote:

No - that was not the point.

and nudity in movies isn't 'novel' - so there was nothing sensational about that scene.

lilies

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:41 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I think you don't understand the concept. In movies, in order for the viewer to feel discomfort, often the actor also needs to undergo that discomfort.

You can disagree with lack of modesty in movies, but you should know it isn't always done for a 'bigger sensation'. Movies also have an artistic sensibility.

I think you missed her point.
In other words, for holy art and artistic sensibility, lack of modesty is perfectly acceptable. Us, on the other hand...nebach for mikvah.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:44 pm
lilies wrote:
In other words, for holy art and artistic sensibility, lack of modesty is perfectly acceptable. Us, on the other hand...nebach for mikvah.

But the scene wasn't a 'nebech for mikvah' scene.

lilies

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:49 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
But the scene wasn't a 'nebech for mikvah' scene.

I wouldn't know.
This was in response to a response to a response.

freilich

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:00 am
lilies wrote:

Exactly. Thanks for explaining so well.

malki2

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:10 am
lilies wrote:

Exactly. For some reason some find your point difficult to comprehend.

pause

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:23 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
The show is full of Very Deep Symbolism.

I hope you're sarcastic.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics