Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
I regret it so much.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:44 pm
I used to steal. Now I think back on what I did and I feel this terrible feeling.
Let me just say that I was really young and stupid.
I had no family to go to when I was 19. New town, new place.
Therefore, no clothing or shoes or food for Yom Tov or shabbos or even weekday. It was very difficult for me to find a job.
All this resulted in a great deal of stress. I survived on a loaf of bread with cream cheese per week for months. I stayed at a friends house until I got on my feet.
I mostly stole clothing and shoes (I since gave them away to a gemach, but it’s just not the same!) and a raincoat and one skirt that I need out of my house pronto. That urge to steal lasted for 2-3 months and then it was gone.

And I’m glad it is. Now when I buy things with the money that *I* made, I feel somewhat accomplished and proud.

What’s the halacha on this???
I am freaking out and I don’t know what to do or how to tell my rov. I feel very guilty that I had this phase.

What do I do and how do I fix this?

Please don’t attack me. It was hard enough to confess what I did.

Hillery

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:47 pm
People sin, and that's why tshuva exists. Be proud that you've come a long way, and don't waste your time with pointless guilt. Confess to Hashem, have charotoh, and be mekabel not to do it again.

If you know who you stole from and how much, pay it back. Otherwise, you should donate the equivalent to the public - ask your rov for specifics.

Goldie613

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:52 pm
There are many Rabbanim you can speak with online. Would you feel more comfortable doing that, so your own Rav wouldn't have to know the situation? I assume part of your concern is how to make it up to the people you stole from...maybe an anonymous letter of apology and cash for the cost would help with that? I guess that would have to get checked with your Rav too...

Just remember, Hashem forgives us our mistakes and every Yom Kippur gives us a chance to start fresh!

Hug

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I used to steal. Now I think back on what I did and I feel this terrible feeling.
Let me just say that I was really young and stupid.
I had no family to go to when I was 19. New town, new place.
Therefore, no clothing or shoes or food for Yom Tov or shabbos or even weekday. It was very difficult for me to find a job.
All this resulted in a great deal of stress. I survived on a loaf of bread with cream cheese per week for months. I stayed at a friends house until I got on my feet.
I mostly stole clothing and shoes (I since gave them away to a gemach, but it’s just not the same!) and a raincoat and one skirt that I need out of my house pronto. That urge to steal lasted for 2-3 months and then it was gone.

And I’m glad it is. Now when I buy things with the money that *I* made, I feel somewhat accomplished and proud.

What’s the halacha on this???
I am freaking out and I don’t know what to do or how to tell my rov. I feel very guilty that I had this phase.

What do I do and how do I fix this?

Please don’t attack me. It was hard enough to confess what I did.

This literally happened to a very very close friend of mine. She stole because she had nothing - her parents had cut her off.

Years later, after she made money, she sent money to the people she stole from. To some, she confessed and also sent money. To others, she simply sent a cashiers check with a fake return address. I don’t know if she sent double or what, but it was the bravest most noble thing I had ever heard.

You are too!! I can’t paskin for you, I only know that you are such an incredible human being. Hashem should grant you tons of money so you can return it all and give to so many charities that no one should know the kind of situation you went through!!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:19 pm
You can ask ur rav and say ure asking for anonymous person so he wont know ure asking about ureself

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:59 pm
Okay. Thank you so much. I’m very relieved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions