Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you have a pesach kitchen?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you have a Pesach Kitchen?
Yes I do have a pesach kitchen  
 21%  [ 47 ]
No I don't have pesach kitchen and am struggling  
 26%  [ 58 ]
No I don't have one but I'm happy like this  
 52%  [ 116 ]
Total Votes : 221

catinthehat

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:55 pm
got my pesach kitchen a few days ago. its a gift straight from heaven! I have already baked and frozen a nice stash for pesach and my reg kitchen is still chometzdik! have turned over my kitchen in the years before. its not difficult but requires organization. I couldn't have done it this year w 4 little kids home, canceled cleaning help and out of commision husband

happyone

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:11 am
I grew up without a pesach kitchen and found it way better than when theres a pesach closet. once you kasher and change over ,there's more space in a regular sized kitchen than a pesach counter. That being said, a pesach kitchen allows you to cook a bit earlier. Personally, I like fresh food so it's not a luxury.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:43 am
I grew up without one, and never dreamed I would even want one. But about a week before purim I decided I actually wanted one this year. Dh is amazing and was able to put it together in less than a week. We have a perfect spot in our basement for it. I am loving it, because I happen to love to bake for Pesach and cook. I have been baking with my kids all week, probably much more than we need. ( I bake for my mother and all my siblings as well)
This is my first year having one, but I still plan on turning over my regular kitchen, but only turning over one stove and two sinks. I am going to leave one side just covered up.(I am turning over, only because I do not want to leave a stove on over Yom tov in my basement)
I am usually very stressed before Pesach, because I like to bake and they always want to turn over earlier than dh wants to. Bh this year I feel like I won't be as stressed, and can turn over the night before. Also, I really do not like to clean so it's working out really well because DH is doing most of the cleaning and I can spend time in my pesach kitchen cooking.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:45 am
happyone wrote:
I grew up without a pesach kitchen and found it way better than when theres a pesach closet. once you kasher and change over ,there's more space in a regular sized kitchen than a pesach counter. That being said, a pesach kitchen allows you to cook a bit earlier. Personally, I like fresh food so it's not a luxury.

I also like fresh food, and usually cook on Yom tov a lot. Personally, so far I have used it to bake a lot and I also made my egg noodles and crepes and froze them. In general I happen to be really bad with freezing meals.

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 1:57 am
I wouldn't say no to a pesach kitchen, but I like turning over my kitchen. It feels satisfyingly pesach-y.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In my opinion it's more stressful without one. Wouldn't you agree?
Or do you think it's a personality thing?

My mum had one since she got married. I need to do without and I'm resentful.
I think this is about you not having what you grew up with and were used to.
Thats how life is.
I never knew anyone with a Pesach kitchen. I think its domething that is definitely not a need, but a want.
Its ONE WEEK.

Mayflower

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:10 am
I have a Pesach "kitchen" in our garage (basically oven/stove/sink and a few cabinets). It saves us a lot of work because we don't have to switch over, empty out cabinets to put in pesach stuff etc. And it's perfect before Pesach - because no one will come into the garage with chometz anyway.

BUT on Pesach itself it's kind of annoying because I'm still cooking in the garage the whole time and have to shlep the dishes to the dining room.

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 5:04 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I think this is about you not having what you grew up with and were used to.
Thats how life is.
I never knew anyone with a Pesach kitchen. I think its domething that is definitely not a need, but a want.
Its ONE WEEK.

The thing I've always most admired about Pesach kitchens is the ability to advance prep and freeze. I'd lovely have a bustling house with 30 people at a meal, but that would be very stressful without the ability to make everything in advance. It would ruin my chag if I had to be slaving in the kitchen. A pesach kitchen and a deep freezer would be a real time saver while you're still kashering your main kitchen.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:20 am
I don’t see the big deal this year. Bh pesach is in middle of the week this year. We’re changing over motzei shabbos. Four days is more than enough time to cook everything especially since that’s usually how many days before I usually start.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:31 am
I don’t know what a pesach kitchen would do for me, I like my food fresh, not out of the freezer. I turn over my kitchen and start cooking a few days before chag. I cook for the second days during chol hamoed, except thing like kugels, which are ok to freeze. I would find it so inconvenient to have to go to a different room to get my food, prepare meals, wash dishes....

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:31 am
I've been making Pesach for 16 years now, no Pesach kitchen. Honestly not sure what I would do with it if I had one.

I guess I have my system that works for me, and it ain't broke, so no fixing.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:03 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
How big are these rentals?

I don't know what size they start at but everyone in the developments has a Pesach kitchen. All the apartments are constructed for frum families.

These are plain vanilla apartments. They have big driving rooms and a small sitting area which often is turned into a seforim room. That's the opposite of non jewish homes which have small dining rooms and large family rooms.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:47 am
No option for half a kitchen so I said that I have one but I don't have a sink. I have a worktop with a hob and oven but no sink so I use outdoor tap when need water for recipes and to wash veg etc and I wash up in the bath. Works for me..best thing ever because it's in my garage which isn't connected to our house so I'm getting lots of peace and quiet out there this year whilst dh looks after, and homeschools the kids! My freezer is stuffed full for yt bH. I usually cook at my parents pesach kitchen and have to shlep all my food there so it's annoying. This is a game changer for me. Maybe one year I'll get a sink plumbed in but it's too expensive for now.

tichellady

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:18 pm
My kitchen isn’t even big enough for my needs, definitely no room for a pesach kitchen

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:22 pm
I have an unfinished basement and DH and I discussed a pesach kitchen when we ever finish it. If we do it, it will under the caveat that we eat downstairs also. I want everything on one floor and no stress of kashering my main kitchen also.

EPL

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:33 pm
I have a Pesach kitchen and I bless my daughter constantly for talking me into taking away a few feet of our basement and making one. I usually work right up to Yom Tov, so I begin cooking right after Purim. I did that this year as well, not knowing I'd be laid off and home for weeks before Pesach, so I basically have had all my cooking done for 2 weeks. Now I have nothing to do, but who knew?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:48 pm
I have one in my basement that is simple, but incredibly functional. As of 2 weeks ago, I made in there:

All of my baked goods
All freezable kugels
All desserts
All meats
And trimmed, but not cooked chicken.

The fact that I have that all done makes me a saner person right now. Having to Kasher in advance and figure out how to feed kids weeks before Pesach doesnt work for me. Also, I've been so busy during the day with my kids, no cleaning is getting done. I'm glad that I haven't been stressing. After shabbos I can focus on cleaning. I'm also glad that I can cook and bake for people who are struggling to make YT. I got the ok from the shul rabbi, and safety precautions from a local dr, and I have been able to help others. I am so grateful. If you don't need one, that's awesome. But for some people, they make a world of a difference.

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 1:48 pm
Never grew up with one and don't have one now. Not high up there on my list of home improvements. I figure out how many days I need to cook in advance and turn over the kitchen. We keep the chametz microwave in a corner of the dining room until erev pesach, to heat things up which can be eaten on the porch.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 2:50 pm
I grew up with a Pesach "kitchen" in our basement. My mom basically has 1 counter with a sink and a burner and a couple of cabinets in her laundry room. Oh, and there's a fridge and freezer there too that's in use all year round. My mother is super organized so she starts to use up her freezer stuff way in at. Then she cleans it out and starts prepping for Pesach. She starts with soups since she doesn't need any special supplies for that that she doesn't already have. Once the stores start stocking Pesach stuff she buys meat on sale and a little chicken at a time. She cleans everything and freezes it well wrapped. Then she starts on baking (she kashers one of her ovens in her regular kitchen at this point) and cooking anything that can be made in advance. She spends weeks doing this, but it only takes her a few hours a week and she finds it far less stressful than a marathon of cooking right before Yom Tov. By erev Pesach all she has left to do is fresh vegetables and preparing the Seder things.

We redid our basement after Hurricane Sandy and we had the contractor rough out an area for us to eventually put in a Pesach kitchen when we were up to making Pesach. This year that was sprung upon us suddenly so there wasn't any time to finish it. Maybe for next year if we're not back to going to our families. I'm not sure how much use it will be for us because I did not inherit my mother's organizational genes.

Tl;dr: I didn't vote in the poll because my answer is not yet but I plan on having one eventually.

mommy12

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:07 pm
I didn't grow up with one, don't have one now, and don't need it. I'm turning over on Monday and having a cooking marathon on Tuesday. I'm making very basic meals and having leftovers for some meals since it's just us and no company. I don't need more than the one day to cook and have no need for a second kitchen. I don't even have a second fridge or freezer.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics