Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Is it crazy to wait til next week to grocery shop
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:18 am
trying to avoid public settings and its easier if I go once I kasher. are the stores running out of anything? I hear different reports

SingALong

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:24 am
You can buy dry ingredients and keep in a sealed box, clean a couple of shelves in your freezer and put frozen meat or chicken there wrapped. I went to my small local grocery twice in last 2 weeks and they were well stocked with water, ingredients, paper goods, dairy, Eggs etc. had some meat chicken and fish but not so much. I haven’t been to any of the big supermarkets in 3 weeks so I don’t know how much Stock they have.
I think the buying frenzy happened 2 weeks ago as we were locking down. Then stores restocked and ppl weren’t buying so much because they already stocked up.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:28 am
yes I know I could go now, but then I will have to make an additional trip next week anyways, which im trying to avoid
was your experience in lakewood?

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:33 am
IDK for sure (I've visited Lakewood often for extended periods of time, but live OOT), but think about before this time how many people wait till Thursday night to shop for Shabbos.

Human nature is to procrastinate. If you go sooner and the store is quiet, you're good. If it's crowded, you have a choice to try again later. Once it's last minute, you no longer have that choice.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:37 am
I went to NPGS Jackson last night and they pretty much had everything.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:38 am
I would get deliveries if possible
Even so I would order and/go sooner rather than later even if that means doing with out some things
you can always add if you decide to do so
when I hear the government cautioning that we have not yet hit peak R"L (and hope they are wrong yet still pays to be cautious!) and with things changing rapidly every day I really would not wait.

hugs and hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:51 am
thank u all. I dont think its a difference exposure wise whether I go before shabbos or after shabbos. thank u to the poster who posted saying that npgs had everything. anyone else do gourmet glatt or evergreen?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:59 am
What about Bingo? The email said open 24 hours.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:07 am
Another point to consider is we never know these days if we'll wake up feeling sick. That's why I'm doing as much as possible in advance, even though I'm usually a very last minute person.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:07 am
I think you’ll do fine. Before things were jumping off the shelves. I think now that most ppl have what they need it should be fine.
Problem is a bunch of young couples are finding out they are making pesach suddenly but I doubt that will empty the shelves.

My biggest fear though would be to be quarantined not allowed to shop. Like be exposed. Just stay and be safe in the meantime.

Gourmet glatt has long lines to enter store today.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:23 am
OP I add my voice to sooner rather than later. No one in my house can do curbside shopping now.

ddmom

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:22 pm
I went to npgs main street last night. They had everything on my list beside for grounds almonds (I think I can make pesach without,too bad!)
I went at 10 store closes at 11. It was practically empty, zero wait time at the register. I cant believe pesach is less than a week away!
My first outing in 3 weeks, it felt like tisha bav. The mood was very somber, silent, most ppl are wearing mask so no smiling or talking...
Unfortunately I will have to go bck out for vegetables and lettuce, I probably didn't buy enough to last me 2 weeks! Keep that in mind when you go. (Double,double...)

DVOM

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:33 pm
I was in gourmet glatt yesterday at around 5. The place was pretty empty and fully stocked, including some of the rarer stuff I needed (veal roast with a pocket).

I did my big pesach dry goods shopping and shopped for chicken, meat, frozen veg to put in my newly cleaned freezer, but I'm going to have to go back next week for fresh fruit and veggies, milk, cheese, yogurt.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 1:03 pm
I'm doing my pesach groceries next week as well. I live in a TINY Brooklyn apartment and we can't have chometz in our home at the same time that we have pesach goods. (We also can't have dairy n fleishig in our kitchen at the same time. I'm not OCD, my kitchen measurements is 3 ft by 6.5 ft. I know because we bought tiles and the tile store salesman barely believed it so we got few extra tiles which we didn't need.)
Anyway, the plan is Motzei Shabbos clean up from shabbos, Sunday clean house for pesach, Monday turn over and shop and some prep, Tuesday cook.
We're first timers but I think we should be fine, #backtobasics.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:47 pm
thank u

Frenchfry

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:46 pm
I'm glad I didn't push it off, because now I'm in quarantine.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:30 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I'm doing my pesach groceries next week as well. I live in a TINY Brooklyn apartment and we can't have chometz in our home at the same time that we have pesach goods. (We also can't have dairy n fleishig in our kitchen at the same time. I'm not OCD, my kitchen measurements is 3 ft by 6.5 ft. I know because we bought tiles and the tile store salesman barely believed it so we got few extra tiles which we didn't need.)
Anyway, the plan is Motzei Shabbos clean up from shabbos, Sunday clean house for pesach, Monday turn over and shop and some prep, Tuesday cook.
We're first timers but I think we should be fine, #backtobasics.

Totally off topic, but is that 3'x6.5' empty, or empty area once the cabinets and appliances are in place?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:21 pm
Lkwd mother here- stores aren’t too crazy here. If you could swing it this week - I’d do that as next week stores will prob b much more full.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:20 pm
Well I did my shopping this week by delivery since it's hard to get delivery in my area and I wanted to avoid stores

Now I just unpacked and put things in my fridge and I'm sitting here with a headache feeling guilty that I didn't clean my fridge as well as I should have

This not going to stores is the hardest part of making pesach for the first time for me.

Someone say something to relieve my guilt

gamanit

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 12:38 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Well I did my shopping this week by delivery since it's hard to get delivery in my area and I wanted to avoid stores

Now I just unpacked and put things in my fridge and I'm sitting here with a headache feeling guilty that I didn't clean my fridge as well as I should have

This not going to stores is the hardest part of making pesach for the first time for me.

Someone say something to relieve my guilt

If you cleaned it, you're great. I usually put some garbage bags on my shelves and put my things on that but it isn't a must.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries