Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you have a pesach kitchen?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you have a Pesach Kitchen?
Yes I do have a pesach kitchen  
 21%  [ 47 ]
No I don't have pesach kitchen and am struggling  
 26%  [ 58 ]
No I don't have one but I'm happy like this  
 52%  [ 116 ]
Total Votes : 221

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:48 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I don't know what size they start at but everyone in the developments has a Pesach kitchen. All the apartments are constructed for frum families.

These are plain vanilla apartments. They have big driving rooms and a small sitting area which often is turned into a seforim room. That's the opposite of non jewish homes which have small dining rooms and large family rooms.

Apartments in the new developments are nice and big. Not every family can afford to live like that. Most of us just make do with what we have.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 4:44 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I think this is about you not having what you grew up with and were used to.
Thats how life is.
I never knew anyone with a Pesach kitchen. I think its domething that is definitely not a need, but a want.
Its ONE WEEK.

I didn't grow up with pesach kitchen either and I don't have one. However, it's one week of holiday BUT it sure as heck is more than one week's time to prepare for the ONE WEEK holiday, right? And guess who is doing most of the work? personally, I've been dreaming of a Pesach kitchen for years and being prepared to scrimp on a lot of things just to have the money to have this special kitchen.

If men were to do the lion part of pesach cleaning and cooking and baking on top of earning a living (working FT), child rearing, giving birth and on top of that maintain weekly cleaning schedule and dishing out chometz-meals on top of that, there is no doubt a Pesach kitchen would be Halacha.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:33 pm
we live in a very old building. before there were washing mashines they would have tiny laundry rooms here. I just stuck my washing mashine into the bathroom and use the original laundry room as a tiny pessach 'kitchen'. it is a lifechanger. best investment ever (wasnt expencive, stove, oven, sink, 3 cabinets and shelf. the best part is the huge freezer. I cook/bake as soon as klp products are available. im working ft and have several young kids, so being able to just prepare early is amazing. usually all our family come and stay with us on pessach plus every seuda we host guests (friends, bochrim, neighbours), so there is tons of food. thanks to my pessach kitchen preparation is easy, no stress and im done with soups, meat, sidedishes, sorbets and cakes about 5 days before pessach (for all seudot and chol hamoed meals) I only make the sederplate and salads fresh.

without the pk I wouldnt host so many people. I would definitely be able to enjoy pessach but its muchmuch easier this way.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:53 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Apartments in the new developments are nice and big. Not every family can afford to live like that. Most of us just make do with what we have.

They aren't only in new apartments. They are in apartments built in the 80s. I have never been in a Jewish development that didn't have Pesach kitchens. Even the not so nice apartments have them.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:26 pm
Of course I do. Well, not today. Maybe by Sunday. Like Brigadoon, the legendary Scottish village that existed for one day every 100 years, my Pesach kitchen exists for some 10 days every year. Then it disappears, to be seen no more till the following year. Unlike Brigadoon, it requires much effort to appear.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:31 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I don't know what size they start at but everyone in the developments has a Pesach kitchen. All the apartments are constructed for frum families.

These are plain vanilla apartments. They have big driving rooms and a small sitting area which often is turned into a seforim room. That's the opposite of non jewish homes which have small dining rooms and large family rooms.

What city?

DrMom

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 1:06 am
Sounds very convenient, but around here, real estate is pricey, and very few people have a room in their homes that is only used for 1 week out of the entire year.

We have dedicated Pesach cabinets in our kitchen, though.

DrMom

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 1:14 am
zaq wrote:
Of course I do. Well, not today. Maybe by Sunday. Like Brigadoon, the legendary Scottish village that existed for one day every 100 years, my Pesach kitchen exists for some 10 days every year. Then it disappears, to be seen no more till the following year. Unlike Brigadoon, it requires much effort to appear.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

DVOM

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 1:57 am
I didn't grow up with one, so could be I just don't know what I'm missing, but I have no desire to have one. We're making pesach for the first time, and I can't wait to turn over my kitchen!! Its going to be a whirlwind of kashering, covering and cooking, but we'll do it together and I think it's going to be fun!

mig100

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 2:00 am
I want to change my vote. At the moment I'm wishing I did. I never saw it as a must.

This year would make it so much easier to stock up and avoid all the panic about shortages and need for extra trips to the store

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just wondering how many of you are coping without a pesach kitchen ?
I'm finding it hard...
DH seems to think most people don't have one so I'm just going to take a poll..

When I host guests, I usually set up a room in my house with a plastic table, pesadik crock pot, and a toaster oven and get started.
But this year, with it just being us (3 small kids, me and husband), I feel totally not pressured, I can cook YT in one day.

miami85

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 3:28 pm
We have what we call our "chometz bunker" it's an area in our house that was like this when we moved in that has metal sinks, metal countertops, a burner area and some counters and cabinets. It's not enough to make pesach in, but enough that we can kasher our kitchen and still have a place to have meals before pesach.

smilethere

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:39 pm
Yes, I feel so thankful to Hashem, it's my first year with one - was just finished last week, it's only a very small room but so so worth not kashering and covering!
The best thing is that this year on thursday night, I can just walk away, put stuff in cabinets and not worry about packing away boxes.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics