Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Whats the law- gym membership- cancel and return unused part

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:26 pm
The gym, it's in a community Jewish "Y" type of place, closed in the middle of March. I waited to see if they would reopen, because situation was new. Now, I emailed the gym that I want a refund for half of March and want to cancel going forward. They emailed me back that since they were open for 2 weeks in the beginning of March that they will not refund March and will not refund April since it's already April. Is this legal? I can freeze payment on April Credit card, but the March one, I already paid- and I did use the gym in the first half of the month of March. What recourse do I have legally, halachically?

octopus

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:30 pm
Good luck. Gym contracts have so much fine print, its always in their favor. They know how to legally protect themselves.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 4:15 pm
My experience and reading what gyms are doing is that they are extending memberships for the same amount of time they are closed. Many people have annual memberships since gyms make money by a high percentage of people purchasing annual membership and never using.

In terms of cancelling a monthly membership, you would have to check your contract. When are you supposed to give notice of cancellation?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 4:21 pm
Amarante wrote:
My experience and reading what gyms are doing is that they are extending memberships for the same amount of time they are closed. Many people have annual memberships since gyms make money by a high percentage of people purchasing annual membership and never using.

In terms of cancelling a monthly membership, you would have to check your contract. When are you supposed to give notice of cancellation?

I wanted to end it this summer anyway, so adding back time once it opens, doesn't help me. Officially, it's a year membership but you can let them know a month in advance and they will let you cancel. Obviously given the situation no on knows when it will reopen. And I therefore can't give notice a month in advance, but they closed it suddenly. So what's the law in an unusual situation like a pandemic if they closed the gym (I know it's not their fault), but neither is it ours. And I dont want to pay for a service I'm no using.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 4:28 pm
Read the fine print in the membership contract.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wanted to end it this summer anyway, so adding back time once it opens, doesn't help me. Officially, it's a year membership but you can let them know a month in advance and they will let you cancel. Obviously given the situation no on knows when it will reopen. And I therefore can't give notice a month in advance, but they closed it suddenly. So what's the law in an unusual situation like a pandemic if they closed the gym (I know it's not their fault), but neither is it ours. And I dont want to pay for a service I'm no using.

So you are asking about one month's membership for April since you have ample time to cancel starting in May.

For me, personally, I would just let them have payment for April as it's a non-profit Jewish community organization and I would consider it to be a charitable donation. This is not legal or halachical advice but just based on how I would proceed given it's one month and it's a Jewish non-profit community group that can probably use the money.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
So you are asking about one month's membership for April since you have ample time to cancel starting in May.

For me, personally, I would just let them have payment for April as it's a non-profit Jewish community organization and I would consider it to be a charitable donation. This is not legal or halachical advice but just based on how I would proceed given it's one month and it's a Jewish non-profit community group that can probably use the money.
For March too- since they closed mid month. I decided I'll forgo the March and April amounts since it's a Jewish organization.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:26 am
There is no covid19 in the fine print...It's a novel situation!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics