Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Asymptomatic how often does this really happen
1  2  Next

sima

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:40 am
As we listen to the news, etc. we hear a lot about those people who may be asymptomatic and spreading the disease. I am wondering how many people are truly asymptomatic? I mean how is it possible? This seems quite serious and the idea that some people actually feel nothing seems baffling. Very light symptoms, OK, but truly being unaware of anything. I know only antibody tests will tell us how many were like this, but it would be interesting to know now already. I just can't believe that it happens so often as we are lead to believe. I'd think that most people would at least feel something. What are your thoughts? If there are those with medical expertise here please explain.
TIA

baby12x

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:45 am
We don't know but studies out of Iceland (where they are doing a lot of testing) suggests up to 50% .

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/0......html

This article says 25%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w......html

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:57 am
I have the virus (pretty much over it now), and my husband and kids did not show any symptoms. We're all hanging out together in the same small quarters. I assume that they would have caught it by now.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:04 am
Most recent research says at least 25% and up to 50%
This is exactly why it is so dangerous.
And screening for fever/cough etc is very far from fool proof.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:35 am
On the diamond princess cruise, every passenger got tested, and 50% of the positive cases were asymptomatic.

My husband (not tested) had clear symptoms. For many people, the symptoms come in phases, the second being more intense than the first. We did not know this until phase 2 hit my husband. After phase 1 was over, he figured he just had seasonal allergies. We were intimate quite a few times before phase 2 hit.
I had a total of zero symptoms.

!!!Stay home, even if you are feeling fine!!!

keym

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:46 am
I don't think it's asymptomatic as much as very low symptoms, confusing symptoms and seasonal allergies.
My son had congestion and a little cough last week. Now he's all better.
Coronavirus? Maybe.
Seasonal allergies? Maybe
Common cold? Maybe

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:49 am
These must be the same people who discover they’re pregnant and like 6 months. To me you have to me very out of touch with your body and detached from reality not to perceive any symptoms. (I say this both as someone who’s pregnant and who had coronaviris last week)

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:50 am
Ive had a pink eye for the past week and didn’t pay any attention to it. Yesterday I randomly found out it’s a symptom. Besides for slight discomfort in my chest area and occasional sore throat there’s nothing. If I wouldn’t be so in tune with my body and obsessively googling I wouldn’t suspect anything. My husband and kids have zero symptoms.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:00 am
My brother is in quarantine (by himself in an empty apartment) since the week after purim because his rebbe (out of town yeshiva) has it.

He went to get tested last week because he wanted to leave quarantine and someone offered to test him.

He came up positive (much to everyone's shock). He's been having his typical seasonal allergies - bad cold, mild congestion and wet cough and he said it's a mild reaction. No other symptoms whatsoever.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:00 am
I don't really buy it. I think most have symptoms but it doesn't bother them enough to pay attention. Also officially stomach issues, stuffed noses etc.. weren't on the list of symptoms. Now they realized symptoms have such a large range. I think most just didn't present with the typical fever and cough but from what I read it doesn't seem that they were completely symptom free.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:10 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
These must be the same people who discover they’re pregnant and like 6 months. To me you have to me very out of touch with your body and detached from reality not to perceive any symptoms. (I say this both as someone who’s pregnant and who had coronaviris last week)

That’s not what it means. It shows up differently in every person. Both my parents tested positive. One parent had fever for about ten days, headache, shortness of breath. The other had no symptoms at all and was totally fine.

Daven that everyone who gets it should have no symptoms!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:10 am
I'm assuming my whole family had it, since my BIL tested positive the same week that we had slept over in their house (due to a family Simcha, before isolation). Within a few days, we were all feeling same symptoms (low fever, chillls, back pain, cough, no smell, no energy, etc...)

But one DD had no symptoms whatsoever. I quarantined her along with the rest of us, anyway.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 2:24 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
That’s not what it means. It shows up differently in every person. Both my parents tested positive. One parent had fever for about ten days, headache, shortness of breath. The other had no symptoms at all and was totally fine.

Daven that everyone who gets it should have no symptoms!

Same with my parents (unless you’re my sister? LOL ). One parent sick, one completely asymptomatic, same age range, both tested positive.

nechamashifra

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:38 pm
I'm assuming my whole family had it since we spent shabbos with extended family who later tested positive (this was 3 weeks ago). My dh and myself had mild symptoms (feeling cold, muscle aches, weak and a few days later loss of taste and smell), our kids had no symptoms except 2 of them had a bad headache.

I know a few couples in which one has symptoms and the spouse is completely symptom free, so yes I believe most carriers don't know that they're carrying the virus.

Last edited by nechamashifra on Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:40 pm
We were with my in laws right before they both had it.
Ds (13) has a fever for one day. The ray of us have been fine.
I wish for the test for immunity. I hear it may be soon.

gande

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:41 pm
Husband had it mildly. I am completely fine accept for some occassional sneezing. Other young adult in the house might have very very mild symptoms. Kids are 100% fine. Thats why I am doibting he had it.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:51 pm
sima wrote:
As we listen to the news, etc. we hear a lot about those people who may be asymptomatic and spreading the disease. I am wondering how many people are truly asymptomatic? I mean how is it possible? This seems quite serious and the idea that some people actually feel nothing seems baffling. Very light symptoms, OK, but truly being unaware of anything. I know only antibody tests will tell us how many were like this, but it would be interesting to know now already. I just can't believe that it happens so often as we are lead to believe. I'd think that most people would at least feel something. What are your thoughts? If there are those with medical expertise here please explain.
TIA

Me. My husband tested positive and I didn’t have anything. Not a sniffle not stomach problems no headache no cough nothing. BH BH BH BH I cannot thank Hashem enough.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 4:00 pm
I would think that davka because it's so widespread it must be that there are many who are completely asymptomatic and spread it unknowingly.
How else can you explain the rapid spread?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 5:35 pm
Many people were sick after chanuka. My dh and I had many of these symptoms. I was so sick I spent 3 days in bed and couldn’t move. My dh says he lost taste and smell but thought it was just because he had a very strong case of flu. I work in a school and many staff members and students were out long term with some if these symptoms. I don’t remember having so many empty desks and subs. ( for drivers, teachers, secretaries, cleaning crew) it was non stop until purim. And their children or spouses were also sick. Over mid winter many people traveled all over the world ( yes all over). Think airplanes, trains, etc not knowing that it exists and lasts on plastic and just about every surface. So it is conceivable that the virus already infected then and people have antibodies.
And quite a large number of people passed away but it was thought that it was age or illness.
Noone knew what was coming and how fast it would explode. Bit I believe that it already started in january.

Miri1

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 1:30 am
But these mild symptoms can just as easily be from a different coronavirus a.k.a the common cold.
Losing sense of taste and smell can come with that too.

I find it hard to believe it was spreading already at Chanuka time.
The explosion happened a few weeks after they started to detect community spread (ie not attributable to travel or contacts)

The range of symptoms and intensity is just so unnerving. Confused
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics