Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Gemachim in Toronto info and VENT
Previous  1  2  3

Osnat

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:17 pm
quote: I find your use of the term "colored people" beyond abhorrent. There are tears in my eyes as I write this. Your inability to see these people -- all people -- as Hashem's creations and worthy of respect and dignity makes me so angry I could cry.

I am really sorry for my offensive terminology. I was in a rush and couldn't think of a more neutral term fast enough. I wanted op to get s picture of whew she would be heading into were she to follow my advice and not be surprised. again im sorry you felt I was discriminating.I have nothing against people of other races, it was an oversight and I didn't mean to hurt anyone.[quote][b]

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:29 pm
Surprised by what, exactly? That other people also need/want/like to buy clothes and that -- gasp! -- some of these people might not be exactly like her?

You say you didn't mean to be offensive, and I'll take you at your word, but do you see how even your response above can be interpreted poorly? I don't think you're a bad person. We're all products of our environment and perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to see different perspectives. But please, think about it a little.

Osnat

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
Surprised by what, exactly? That other people also need/want/like to buy clothes and that -- gasp! -- some of these people might not be exactly like her?

You say you didn't mean to be offensive, and I'll take you at your word, but do you see how even your response above can be interpreted poorly? I don't think you're a bad person. We're all products of our environment and perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to see different perspectives. But please, think about it a little.

if you take offense with my words please pm me directly. this is not a forum about discrimination. and to answer you, I don't know what background op is coming from and somne people may not want to go to the stores because they are not your typical non jewish stores in many ways. Please don't respond here it its not fair to op.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 3:14 pm
Pinkfridge, I'm curious which parts of the world you're referring to? I think it's universally considered offensive, so the main thing anyway is not really the intention, but how it would be received. (I'm sure the poster didn't mean to be offensive; some people are more sheltered though and need to be informed.)

Last edited by Odelyah on Mon, Nov 10 2014, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Odelyah

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 3:17 pm
I think the post I was responding to just disappeared Smile

chickpea_salad

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 3:46 pm
I agree with goodwill and value village. I have found lots of top end clothing there. Value Village is more expensive but they have more clothes in smaller sizes.

You might have better luck taking the go train to a wealthy part of the gta to get better and more mature/professional looking clothing. Maxi skirts have been in style for a while now, so you don't need to go to a "frum" store to find tznius clothing in small sizes.

Take a day trip, pack a lunch, and enjoy the hunt Smile

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 3:49 pm
I would like to suggest that you try H&M in Yorkdale it has a lot of stylish tops cardigans dresses and skirts and they are very reasonably priced.
Good luck

amother

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 2:59 pm
mmps134 wrote:
if you take offense with my words please pm me directly. this is not a forum about discrimination. and to answer you, I don't know what background op is coming from and somne people may not want to go to the stores because they are not your typical non jewish stores in many ways. Please don't respond here it its not fair to op.

Did it ever occur to you that there are FRUM BLACK JEWISH MOTHERS? If not, there are. This may not be fair to OP but I personally found what you said beyond offensive to the point where I do not want to PM you. I accept that you were in a rush, but please, watch how you describe people.

ricotta

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 4:00 pm
I have had luck finding pieces at the Value Village on Wilson.

Also, spend a day and go through the thrift stores in Kensington Market area.

AnnaB

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:03 pm
Please PM me if this is still relevant (I know it's from many years ago).

amother
Green

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:59 pm
OP, I have no leads for you. I was just tiredly looking around imamother it's been a long day and I couldn't leave this thread without saying sorry. I'm sorry OP for all the insensitive comments you had to read here tonight. Every girl wants pretty clothes don't let any of them make you feel there's anything wrong with your daughter. I don't live in Canada but I think clothing might be more expensive there. I find imamothers can be generous and kind, but also sometimes mean and bossy. Just ignore the nastiness, some people are having rough days and I get the feeling they enjoy letting it out here. I was on the receiving end of some ridiculous comments one day this week too. Wishing you and your daughter lots of luck finding beautiful things to wear and finding a wonderful chosson!

boat

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:00 pm
Psa this thread is from many moons ago.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:23 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
OP, I have no leads for you. I was just tiredly looking around imamother it's been a long day and I couldn't leave this thread without saying sorry. I'm sorry OP for all the insensitive comments you had to read here tonight. Every girl wants pretty clothes don't let any of them make you feel there's anything wrong with your daughter. I don't live in Canada but I think clothing might be more expensive there. I find imamothers can be generous and kind, but also sometimes mean and bossy. Just ignore the nastiness, some people are having rough days and I get the feeling they enjoy letting it out here. I was on the receiving end of some ridiculous comments one day this week too. Wishing you and your daughter lots of luck finding beautiful things to wear and finding a wonderful chosson!

This thread is 6 years old. Hopefully she got over the insensitivity by now and maybe her daughter is a mom already.....
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics