Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tiger King on Netflix

Einikel

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:50 pm
Did Carol Baskin kill her husband? Did Joe deserve to go to prison?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:51 pm
Best show ever ๐Ÿ˜‚

Yes and no.

Einikel

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:53 pm
Truth is stranger than fiction!

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 12:58 am
It's because she's a woman, isn't it?

Einikel

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 1:00 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
It's because she's a woman, isn't it?

What do you mean?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 6:13 am
Oh lord, what a trainwreck!

(Disclaimer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, and is sensitive - this show is NOT APPROPRIATE!!!)

Pretty funny and entertaining, though.

I felt sorry for almost everyone there, including the animals.

Baskin is a psycho, just look at her eyes and the way she reacts emotionally. She laughs inappropriately, seems calm about things that should freak out a normal person, and there's something really devious about her. She reminds me of the main character in "Dexter". I would not be the least bit surprised if she did it.

I think Joe took terrible advantage of the young guys who just got out of prison. They were desperate for acceptance, stability, a regular income, and something to give them self respect. They were extremely vulnerable, in every way.

Joe was a messed up guy from the start, but I still think he knew right from wrong when he took those guys in. (I can't lie though, I kind of liked his songs, and I'm not even a country fan.)

Some of the other animal owners were just straight up jerks and hustlers, so no sympathy for them.

BTW, Saff is transgendered, and the film kept calling him "her" throughout the series. He is absolutely furious that nobody respected his repeated requests to use his proper pronouns. What does the series benefit by misgendering someone? Why would it hurt them to not respect such a simple request? You don't have to agree with a person's life decisions, but a little dignity would be nice for once. Saff is the only person there with any integrity at all.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 8:33 am
Here I am wondering why the show is trending #1 on Netflix...

happyone

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 8:36 am
Theres no definite answers yet but the show got them to reopen the investigation, and they are reporting new streams of tips. Who knows!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:21 am
happyone wrote:
Theres no definite answers yet but the show got them to reopen the investigation, and they are reporting new streams of tips. Who knows!

Ooooh, a sequel? One can only hope.

* grabs popcorn * ๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿฟ

Mide7

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:39 am
It is crazy how there is this whole world that we never knew existed. And it is so wild that there are more tigers in people's personal tigers than in the wild. It is very sad that they aren't protected more in the wild, as they are poached.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:15 am
Mide7 wrote:
It is crazy how there is this whole world that we never knew existed. And it is so wild that there are more tigers in people's personal tigers than in the wild. It is very sad that they aren't protected more in the wild, as they are poached.

It's not even so much poaching, as loss of habitat. As people move in to the tiger's territory (the tigers were there first!) the people are driving away the tiger's prey. So, the tigers chomp down on the next best tasty thing, and that is usually a child who is playing too close to the edge of the forest.

The next thing you know, people are yelling "man-eater", grabbing their guns, and goodbye tiger. Sad

It's the same thing that is happening to wolves and bears in the United States. We expand into their territory, and then get mad when they don't leave.

No wonder the indigenous people relate more to animals than they do to "civilized" people.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:57 am
And Carole Baskin is pure evil.

daagahminayin

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:08 am
I just finished watching the series.

For those of you who are saying Carole Baskin is evil, I suggest thinking about what she has done (not been accused of doing without evidence) versus Joe Exotic and the other larger-than-life characters on the show. True, there were some things about her sanctuary that seem questionable as depicted, but this does not compare to hiring someone to commit a murder or any of the other bad things Joe Exotic did.

You may have had a negative reaction to her and a more positive reaction to Joe a Exotic when watching the show. I certainly did. He was portrayed as a much more sympathetic character.

But I contend that is due to editing and the narrative the shows producers wanted to give you. And due to the fact that some people have more charismatic and likeable personalities than others. If youโ€™re going to judge people, judge them on their deeds and not their likeability.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:36 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh lord, what a trainwreck!

(Disclaimer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, and is sensitive - this show is NOT APPROPRIATE!!!)

Pretty funny and entertaining, though.

I felt sorry for almost everyone there, including the animals.

Baskin is a psycho, just look at her eyes and the way she reacts emotionally. She laughs inappropriately, seems calm about things that should freak out a normal person, and there's something really devious about her. She reminds me of the main character in "Dexter". I would not be the least bit surprised if she did it.

I think Joe took terrible advantage of the young guys who just got out of prison. They were desperate for acceptance, stability, a regular income, and something to give them self respect. They were extremely vulnerable, in every way.

Joe was a messed up guy from the start, but I still think he knew right from wrong when he took those guys in. (I can't lie though, I kind of liked his songs, and I'm not even a country fan.)

Some of the other animal owners were just straight up jerks and hustlers, so no sympathy for them.

BTW, Saff is transgendered, and the film kept calling him "her" throughout the series. He is absolutely furious that nobody respected his repeated requests to use his proper pronouns. What does the series benefit by misgendering someone? Why would it hurt them to not respect such a simple request? You don't have to agree with a person's life decisions, but a little dignity would be nice for once. Saff is the only person there with any integrity at all.

Watch the follow up episode. Saff clearly says that he doesn't care at all and everyone else was more mad than he was. Also, Netflix is very PC. It's unlikely they intentionally used an incorrect pronoun on purpose. Maybe Saff hadn't transitioned yet. And there were other zoo employees who had integrity and we're very devoted to the animals also.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics