Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Urn for Pesach - Can I kasher the one I use on shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:31 pm
Do I have to buy a new urn for pesach? Or can I kasher the one I usually use every shabbos? And if yes, how to kasher?
Thanks so much!

agreer

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:37 pm
You must buy a new one. No way to kasher it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:38 pm
If you never put any chometz on top or if you never put chometz directly under and poured hot water into it then its not a problem and you dont have to get a new one.

If you did, then What kind of urn do you have?

you can pour boiling hot water directly over the spout if you have this kind
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds

if you have sort of this style then afaik theres no way to kasher and you would have to get a new one
https://www.amazon.com/Euro-Te.....en-20

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do I have to buy a new urn for pesach? Or can I kasher the one I usually use every shabbos? And if yes, how to kasher?
Thanks so much!

We just use a regular metal teakettle, the old fashioned kind. Cheap, and you can use it on yom tov so it's good for everything except Shabbos.

In a pinch, just warm up some water in a pot.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:40 pm
My rabbi said yea. He told my husband how. My husband told me the details but since he’ll be the one doing it I couldn’t tell you in detail but it was very simple.

ETA I have the one from bed bath linked above

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:41 pm
According to one of the halacha guides for this year (from harav shmuel kamentsky)

9. Urns
An urn may be kashered by pouring boiling hot water over the entire spout area. If the
spout is plastic it cannot be kashered.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:42 pm
There are definitely opinions that you can-- OU and CRC say yes, as long as you don't use to heat chametz or clean with vinegar.

https://oukosher.org/passover/.....erurn

https://askcrc.org/item/Keilim/1648

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:53 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
If you never put any chometz on top or if you never put chometz directly under and poured hot water into it then its not a problem and you dont have to get a new one.

If you did, then What kind of urn do you have?

you can pour boiling hot water directly over the spout if you have this kind
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds

if you have sort of this style then afaik theres no way to kasher and you would have to get a new one
https://www.amazon.com/Euro-Te.....en-20

Thanks! I have the same idea as the one on your bedbathandbeyond link. I always use the top to heat challa on though....

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 1:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! I have the same idea as the one on your bedbathandbeyond link. I always use the top to heat challa on though....

In that case, you need a new one.
But normally you would be able to use the same one, even without kashering.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:05 am
See if you can find a recording of shiur by Rav Aharon Felder of Lakewood. IIRC - please don't rely on this it's why I'm going amother so I won't be taken so seriously - he said that kashering isn't necessary if you've just used it for water. Though you can kasher the spout.
And many people will reheat food on Shabbos on the lid. If you put foil underneath, no problem.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We hold this can be kashered.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
According to one of the halacha guides for this year (from harav shmuel kamentsky)

9. Urns
An urn may be kashered by pouring boiling hot water over the entire spout area. If the
spout is plastic it cannot be kashered.

This guide was quite machmir, overall.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:51 am
Yes it can! Speak to your rav regarding the how tos.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much!

We don’t use ours for anything but water. We do not heat on top. Our rabbi said no problem to use same.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 2:55 pm
I was told by my rav to clean it well and then boil it up full of water. Let it boil over the top and then it can be used on pesach. I have a regular metal one with a plastic spout.
We used it last year as well.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 4:57 pm
I have not read the replies, but we were told, and we did the same growing up, that if yo never touch chametz to the urn, you can just put foil on the bottom and its fine as that is the only part of the urn that ever would have touched chametz (the counter)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics