Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
FL Gov. Overrides County Officials to Allow Church During C

sub

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:27 pm
DeSantis defended his controversial decision on Thursday to continue religious services, stating in a press conference that the “government does not have the authority to close a church” and saying he met with religious leaders and felt that “their work is important.”
“There is no reason why you can’t do a church service six feet apart,” he said. “In times like this, I think the service that they are performing is going to be very important to people... particularly coming up in the Easter season.”

Banging head Banging head Banging head

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:30 pm
Huh?
As long as the noy yoikers are kept away, all will be well.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:31 pm
He is right. In such dire times we need to increase our religious services.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:37 pm
Yeah, but minyan is important to us too.

Do they not believe that prayer at home is worthwhile? Do they not consider saving a life to outweigh COMMUNAL prayer?

I wonder if there will be any anti-xtian sentiment due to this...

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:38 pm
Many states didnt ban houses of worship. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/.....47021

One place is apparently doing drive-in service where everyone stays in their cars. I guess Jews can do the same thing? It wouldnt work on Shabbos (unless there is a heter for emergency like this) but maybe for weekday services?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:46 pm
I'm in FL. The governor can say what he likes. Our shuls are NOT reopening any time soon.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:07 am
monkeymamma wrote:
Many states didnt ban houses of worship. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/.....47021

One place is apparently doing drive-in service where everyone stays in their cars. I guess Jews can do the same thing? It wouldnt work on Shabbos (unless there is a heter for emergency like this) but maybe for weekday services?

So everyone would sit through davening? Isn't that bedieved?

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:14 am
Its homicidal / suicidal to get together. I'm grateful for the shuls that closed. that sure saves many lives. No matter how awful the situation is, it would be much worse with minyanim and mikvah. If we would have started the social separation before Purim, the fatality rate in the community would probably be significantly decreased.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:24 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Its homicidal / suicidal to get together. I'm grateful for the shuls that closed. that sure saves many lives. No matter how awful the situation is, it would be much worse with minyanim and mikvah. If we would have started the social separation before Purim, the fatality rate in the community would probably be significantly decreased.

This was part of Hashem's timing. He could have had social distancing start earlier.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 2:39 pm
If everyone's gonna get it anyway, we are very lucky to primarily have gotten it now, before the hospitals collapse further.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 4:19 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
This was part of Hashem's timing. He could have had social distancing start earlier.

No, its free will.
Can you say that about OTD people. Hashem puts thoughts in their heads, and wants them to be OTD. This is about personal behavior.

yiddishmom

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
No, its free will.
Can you say that about OTD people. Hashem puts thoughts in their heads, and wants them to be OTD. This is about personal behavior.

In NY/NJ the goverment didn't institute social distancing until after Purim.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 5:26 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
In NY/NJ the goverment didn't institute social distancing until after Purim.

True, but many already knew this was going on. I had a wedding a week before and didn't kiss anyone mazel tov. Nobody had to tell me to watch myself. You have the option to stay aware, educate yourself, before your spoon-fed the information and begged to distance yourself.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 5:37 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
If everyone's gonna get it anyway, we are very lucky to primarily have gotten it now, before the hospitals collapse further.

Except that as time goes on, better treatments are discovered.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 5:54 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I'm in FL. The governor can say what he likes. Our shuls are NOT reopening any time soon.

That’s because county over rules state
In Dade and Broward counties shul’s are closed

moonstone

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 12:54 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

Oh, please. And you know this... how? Did He whisper it in you ear?

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 1:05 pm
sub wrote:
DeSantis defended his controversial decision on Thursday to continue religious services, stating in a press conference that the “government does not have the authority to close a church” and saying he met with religious leaders and felt that “their work is important.”
“There is no reason why you can’t do a church service six feet apart,” he said. “In times like this, I think the service that they are performing is going to be very important to people... particularly coming up in the Easter season.”

Banging head Banging head Banging head

It's very difficult to maintain the 6ft spacing, esp indoors. I think this is a poor decision that could have dire consequences.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 8:12 pm
Terrible decision.

Some of the known clusters of infections have been traced to church gatherings.

There was a choir that met several weeks ago in Washington who were extremely careful about social distancing. No one touched and they were all careful to sit at least six feet apart - if not more.

Of the 60 who attended, 28 were confirmed and 2 are now dead. No one knows how many these people infected before they realized they were sick and contagious.

There is simply no way for people to gather together without possibly becoming infected and therefore infecting others AND creating a burden on the health system.

There are also large clusters of infection traced back to megachurches where large numbers of congregants gathered.

This is not something unique to Jewish behavior but is still inexcusable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics