Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Chaveirim - Warning - oxygen is flammable
1  2  Next

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 3:17 pm
I just saw a warning from chaveirim that oxygen is flammable. Make sure everyone knows not to go near the Shabbos candles while on an o2 concentrator.

Stay safe all and stay healthy. Have a peaceful, relaxing Shabbos and hopefully next week will be a better week for all of us.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 3:30 pm
Another warning, hand sanitizer is highly flammable too!

Even if you think it's completely dry, it could still be giving off alcohol fumes. If you are near an open flame, *whoosh*. Sad

I've already heard of one woman who burned her hand very badly while using the gas stove, because her sanitizer hadn't dried completely. All she did was reach for the knob, and it was like the flame just leapt across the distance.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 3:48 pm
Is this really a thread?

I thought everyone knew oxygen tanks (and alcohol) were flammable.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 3:59 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Is this really a thread?

Nope, it's not really common knowledge. If you are used to having oxygen tanks in the home, then you should know this. If it's new to you that someone is on oxygen, you might be so overwhelmed with their care that it slips your mind that candles are a danger.

Also, every now and then you hear of house fires caused by someone smoking near an oxygen tank. Darwin Awards, for sure. Rolling Eyes

Then you have the people who think that the laws of physics don't apply to them, and that they are being "really careful, and know what they're doing." Famous last words.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 4:04 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Nope, it's not really common knowledge. If you are used to having oxygen tanks in the home, then you should know this. If it's new to you that someone is on oxygen, you might be so overwhelmed with their care that it slips your mind that candles are a danger.

Also, every now and then you hear of house fires caused by someone smoking near an oxygen tank. Darwin Awards, for sure. Rolling Eyes

Then you have the people who think that the laws of physics don't apply to them, and that they are being "really careful, and know what they're doing." Famous last words.

You're joking, right?

I don't have oxygen tanks at home (BH don't need them) but I did think it was common knowledge that they - and alcohol - are flammable.

The people who think the laws of physics don't apply to them, and they're "really careful, and know what they're doing" - if they die, no biggie, the world is safer without them. Evolution, you know?

**I can't believe our science education is so poor that people don't know this stuff. And not just in the frum community, but in general. Anyone college-educated is supposed to know this.**

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 4:18 pm
You're joking, right?

Do you know how many Jewish schools have incredibly weak science classes? Do you know how many people don't go to college "because it's just not done."? If they did go, do you think they remembered everything they learned in science, if that wasn't their major?

Look at all the people who are traveling for Pesach. All the people who are SURE that the virus won't get THEM, because they are special (or whatever.) Have you seen the lists of shuls that are STILL open? Banging head

The world is full of ignorant people, people who are uneducated, people who believe in magical thinking, or are in a constant state of denial. Life does weed a certain number of them out, but not often enough, and not fast enough.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 4:23 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you know how many Jewish schools have incredibly weak science classes? Do you know how many people don't go to college "because it's just not done."? If they did go, do you think they remembered everything they learned in science, if that wasn't their major?

Look at all the people who are traveling for Pesach. All the people who are SURE that the virus won't get THEM, because they are special (or whatever.) Have you seen the lists of shuls that are STILL open? Banging head

The world is full of ignorant people, people who are uneducated, people who believe in magical thinking, or are in a constant state of denial. Life does weed a certain number of them out, but not often enough, and not fast enough.

Right - I was asking because your tone sounded sarcastic. I am flabbergasted that this isn't something everyone knows. I thought it was obvious.

BTW not sure if this is really connected to the frum community - if colleges provided a good enough science education, we wouldn't have so many anti-vaxxers. Most anti-vaxxers are college-educated and think they are brilliant, when they can't even read and understand a research paper.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 4:24 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

In all seriousness.

If you deprive a flame of oxygen it goes out. If you give it a whole tank of oxygen, it won't go crazy and eat it up? Oxygen is fuel.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 4:46 pm
You're joking, right?

I don't have oxygen tanks at home (BH don't need them) but I did think it was common knowledge that they - and alcohol - are flammable.

The people who think the laws of physics don't apply to them, and they're "really careful, and know what they're doing" - if they die, no biggie, the world is safer without them. Evolution, you know?

**I can't believe our science education is so poor that people don't know this stuff. And not just in the frum community, but in general. Anyone college-educated is supposed to know this.**

Ah yes... the well- known tenent that only smart, college-educated people deserve to not die.

I'm stupid and didn't think of this, I guess I should just have my family burn to death?

Thank you for posting this info OP.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 4:49 pm
I told DH about the announcement and he looked at me blankly for a second and said, "Why did they have to say this?"

At least I know I'm not off my rocker.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 4:52 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Ah yes... the well- known tenent that only smart, college-educated people deserve to not die.

I'm stupid and didn't think of this, I guess I should just have my family burn to death?

Thank you for posting this info OP.

Did you not read the post you responded to??

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 5:14 pm
Did you not read the post you responded to??

You literally wrote "Anyone college-educated is supposed to know this.**"

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 5:26 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
You literally wrote "Anyone college-educated is supposed to know this.**"

Yes, sure, quote half a statement and pretend you read and understood all of it.

This is what I wrote:

The emphasis here is on "supposed to" because if Chaveirim had to issue this statement, apparently people don't know this. Even if they are supposed to. Even if they are college-educated.

I also wrote:
BTW not sure if this is really connected to the frum community - if colleges provided a good enough science education, we wouldn't have so many anti-vaxxers. Most anti-vaxxers are college-educated and think they are brilliant, when they can't even read and understand a research paper.

Clearer now?

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 6:09 pm
Right - I was asking because your tone sounded sarcastic. I am flabbergasted that this isn't something everyone knows. I thought it was obvious.

What part of my posts did you think sounded sarcastic?

I'm usually pretty careful to use the /sarcasm font, because people online can't seem to tell the difference.

studying_torah

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 8:34 pm
I actually had no idea about the hand sanitizer so thank you for posting that.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 9:58 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I actually had no idea about the hand sanitizer so thank you for posting that.

I hadn't thought about it at all until I read about that poor woman. Imagine trying to get your pre-Pesach cooking done, and then have to deal with the pain of a burned hand. She must be miserable. Crying

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 10:21 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Another warning, hand sanitizer is highly flammable too!

Even if you think it's completely dry, it could still be giving off alcohol fumes. If you are near an open flame, *whoosh*. Sad

I've already heard of one woman who burned her hand very badly while using the gas stove, because her sanitizer hadn't dried completely. All she did was reach for the knob, and it was like the flame just leapt across the distance.

This was widely spread, and is considered false: https://www.politifact.com/fac.....r-fl/

I have a friend who is a doctor and agreed that it's almost impossible.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 10:27 pm
Is this really a thread?

Im a registered nurse, and quite aware that oxygen is flammable. For some reason, my brain usually associates it with telling patients not to smoke with it on...and I totally forgot to warn my mother (on oxygen due to covid) about it, until I saw chaverim's warning.

When I called her to warn her, my mother (a very knowledgable and educated woman) was surprised she hadnt thought of it herself, and was grateful for the warning. Yes in theory she knew oxygen was flammable. But wearing her nasal cannula has become such a natural thling for her recently, that she just didn't make the connection on her own.

So THANK YOU FOR THE WARNING

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:15 am
it happened to my mil. She sanitized her hands & went to cook.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 5:38 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
What part of my posts did you think sounded sarcastic?

I'm usually pretty careful to use the /sarcasm font, because people online can't seem to tell the difference.

This part:

FranticFrummie wrote:

Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics