Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Grates in Self Clean Oven

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:33 am
A neighbor gave us their grates to stick in our self cleaning oven while we kasher (don't worry, they left them on our door), but now I see that I won't be able to put ours and theirs in without stacking them - does anyone know if it's ok to stack? (I assume it is b/c if they would melt, they would melt to the oven rack as well....)

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:39 am
We scrub the racks separately. My experience is that the self clean cycles doesn't include the racks, and they end up with a layer of grime on them. Check the instructions for your oven.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:52 am
We stack them. It’s the heat, it gets everywhere. All the stuff on them becomes ash, so no need for strong scrubbing.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:55 am
Self-cleaning will work on grates as well. However, while they won’t melt, the stainless steel racks in your oven can get weak at that temperature. If you overload them with grates, they can get permanently distorted.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A neighbor gave us their grates to stick in our self cleaning oven while we kasher (don't worry, they left them on our door), but now I see that I won't be able to put ours and theirs in without stacking them - does anyone know if it's ok to stack? (I assume it is b/c if they would melt, they would melt to the oven rack as well....)

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Racks & grates should be kashered separately so they don't discolor, warp or rubber legs melt off.

hashgachap

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:00 am
Ok thank you! Do you think its ok to put some of the grates on the bottom of the oven?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:02 am
No. After self clean, put the grates on a rack in the oven set to 550 for 40 minutes instead of sticking them in for self clean.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:05 am
hashgachap wrote:
Ok thank you! Do you think its ok to put some of the grates on the bottom of the oven?

As long as they are placed evenly and are not blocking any openings. Someone mentioned something about rubber legs. Just make sure that yours don’t have any. Otherwise, they should be ok. The flame that generally comes in contact with the grates are hotter than the heat of the self cleaning oven.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 11:24 am
Hi it’s the bigmouth know-it-all here. Some amusing irony to report. The truth is that I have been self-cleaning my stovetop grates for years now, without a hitch. This year, we got a GE oven/range, with a griddle in the middle. I assumed that the griddle was made from the same material as the grates. Evidently it was not. I just ended the self clean cycle, and opened my oven to find that the griddle now fits nicely into the depression at the bottom of my oven, where I set it up before the self clean cycle. Baruch HaShem nothing else happened, and it will only cost $69 to get a replacement from Amazon. But definitely don’t go putting griddles in the oven for a self clean cycle.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 2:30 pm
Turns out that for some reason the griddle was made of aluminum which has a melting point much lower than steel which is what the grates are made of. ☹️
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics