Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Advice from an Amazon employee re disinfecting purchases

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 11:07 pm

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:02 am
thank you very much for this PSA

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:11 am
It only survives on cardboard for 24 hrs. If you're not desperate to open your package, maybe leave it alone until tomorrow

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:54 am
Hey not to diss the hard working amazon employees but maybe we should listen to the top epidemiologists and legit stay home.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:56 am
No one really knows for sure how long this novel virus lives on cardboard and other materials. As we should know by now more is being discovered/confirmed/disproved about this new virus virtually every day.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:14 am
The Amazon employees are very disgruntled about lack of protective gear. They feel that there is great danger in so many hands touching the same objects. What needs to be studied more is how many people stayed home 100% but got everything from Amazon and other delivery services and contracted the virus. Because very few people fall into this category, it's nearly impossible to determine if the virus is spread via package delivery. Even people who stayed home may have had contact with someone else who came into the home so the impact of germy packages is hard to study and measure.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:20 am
I just read recently that Amazon is still hiring, and they are not testing new employees.

If they are not wearing disposable gloves to pack orders, that would be very concerning.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:36 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I just read recently that Amazon is still hiring, and they are not testing new employees.

If they are not wearing disposable gloves to pack orders, that would be very concerning.

It was found that the germs thrive more on contaminated gloves than on hands that are washed. Gloved people also may touch their faces while wearing the gloves. People also contaminate themselves if they don't remove the gloves properly and of course they must be disposed of properly. Sanitizer may be more protective than gloves if used frequently and consistently and masks have been determined to reduce the spread of germs. Amazon employees, however, apparently are forced to work so fast that proper sanitation is impossible to maintain.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:36 am
I would like to dispel a myth: disposable gloves are not a magic way of stopping the spread of germs. They are helpful if used correctly. If they are worn for an extended period of time inevitably the wearer will touch something they shouldn’t, face, nose, a door handle, a co-worker, cough etc. they are not the holy grail. They are a great tool.

Disclaimer I am not a virologist just a skeptic who has read up a lot on this virus.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I would like to dispel a myth: disposable gloves are not a magic way of stopping the spread of germs. They are helpful if used correctly. If they are worn for an extended period of time inevitably the wearer will touch something they shouldn’t, face, nose, a door handle, a co-worker, cough etc. they are not the holy grail. They are a great tool.

Disclaimer I am not a virologist just a skeptic who has read up a lot on this virus.

Thinking same. Cashiers are all wearing gloves now. They wear the same gloves all day taking money and products from different customers and I'm sure they're touching their faces too. I brought along a spare air of gloves and asked cashier to change before taking my things. I'm not sure that's practical or even helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics