Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Yapchik experts- 3 day Yom Tov

Bsimcha

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:41 am
New to Yapchik- I usually make Pesach cholent in crockpot with meat, potatoes and onions. teenagers want Yapchik, I have a few questions:

This year, Shabbos being day 3, how to prep in advance? Don't want to grate potatoes on Friday.
Can I partially cook or bake on Wednesday and refrigerate until Friday?
Don't want yucky brown potatoes.

Crockpot or oven on 275?

I've seen suggestions with and without eggs, what's advantage of each one?

Thank you!

Metukah

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:44 am
Make now, freeze, put on hot plate on Friday.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:58 am
Side note: what kind of meat do you use in yapchik? How much meat Vs kugel? Do you use less oil in the kugel itself? Do you cook the meat beforehand?

I see recipes all over the internet, but I'd like some tried-and-true advice. It seems like a wonderful one pan meal - kind of like shepherd's pie.

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total

MiriFr

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:58 am
I make it before y"t and freeze it. On friday before lighting I put it in the oven (frozen and covered) overnight. I leave my oven on 200. You can also warm up on hot plate if you dont want to leave your oven on.
I make it without eggs because of an egg allergy. The recipe is just put flanken on bottom of a pan, pour potato kugel batter over top. Bake like you would a normal potato kugel.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:00 am
MiriFr wrote:
I make it before y"t and freeze it. On friday before lighting I put it in the oven (frozen and covered) overnight. I leave my oven on 200. You can also warm up on hot plate if you dont want to leave your oven on.
I make it without eggs because of an egg allergy. The recipe is just put flanken on bottom of a pan, pour potato kugel batter over top. Bake like you would a normal potato kugel.

And the flanken doesn't burn?

MiriFr

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:05 am
Rappel wrote:
And the flanken doesn't burn?

Nope. Definitely not in my 200 (fahrenheit. Not celcius) oven. I've never warmed it on a hot plate, but I know it's doable.
Anyone know the rules with that....?

Bsimcha

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:34 am
MiriFr wrote:

Thank you!
Do you bake it before Yom Tov, half or raw?

MiriFr

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:48 am
Bsimcha wrote:
Thank you!
Do you bake it before Yom Tov, half or raw?

Totally cooked

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:09 am
For yapsuk I grate by hand on Friday afternoon. No eggs. Layered shredded potato cholent that turns rich and creamy when cooked low & slow.

On a 3 day YT I plan to make Binah's potato kugel cholent. The potato kugel batter (with eggs) can be prepared in Wednesday, put into a large container, place paper towel on top, close lid, refrigerate. Assemble on Friday.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:16 am
MiriFr wrote:

What if I am leaving my oven on @350,
What do I do ?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:29 am
elisheva25 wrote:
What if I am leaving my oven on @350,
What do I do ?

You can't leave the yabchik overnight on 350, it'll burn.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:33 am
Is there a way to keep yapchik on a blech overnight (once it’s already cooked)? Can I put it in a pan with water on a stove top blech?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:34 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Is there a way to keep yapchik on a blech overnight (once it’s already cooked)? Can I put it in a pan with water on a stove top blech?

Yes. Make sure it's tightly covered and put it into a pan of water. Do not put it on the hottest part of the blech.

happymom123

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:47 am
How do you put a 9x13 into a pan of water?
I'm also thinking to try yapchik for this shabbos but can't figure out the logistics.

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:50 am
Can you divide it into 2 round pans and then put each of those in a pan of water?

preciousmommy

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:53 am
MiriFr wrote:

I basically do this, but I freeze it raw. When I freezed immediately after preparing it didn’t turn colors. I put it in the oven on a low temp shortly before shabbos. This is my go to shabbos-with-YT food. It’s yum!

ladYdI

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:02 am
happymom123 wrote:
How do you put a 9x13 into a pan of water?
I'm also thinking to try yapchik for this shabbos but can't figure out the logistics.

You can put it over a deep 9x13 filled with water
Like you would on a stereo

heidi

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
For yapsuk I grate by hand on Friday afternoon. No eggs. Layered shredded potato cholent that turns rich and creamy when cooked low & slow.

On a 3 day YT I plan to make Binah's potato kugel cholent. The potato kugel batter (with eggs) can be prepared in Wednesday, put into a large container, place paper towel on top, close lid, refrigerate. Assemble on Friday.

founf the recipe

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:54 pm
heidi wrote:
founf the recipe

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....12646

Metukah

Post Sat, Apr 11 2020, 8:24 pm
Just want to update on my yapchik.
I made a yapchik a week before pesach. Baked it covered for 2-3 hours.
Froze it.
Yesterday (on Friday morning) I took a deeper pan, put some cubed potatoes, cubed Cholent meat and fried onions (from the freezer) at the bottom of the pan. Added salt, water and a chopped, peeled tomato. I added my yapchik on top. Covered it well and left it on the hotplate until shabbos morning. It was delicious. Some of the potatoes stuck to the bottom but it was absolutely delicious. Exceeded my expectations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics