Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Coronavirus risk may depend on your blood type
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 4:13 pm
Preliminary evidence suggests that people with blood type A may be at higher risk from coronavirus, while those with type O may be at lower risk.

"A person's blood type may affect their risk for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, researchers report.

They analyzed blood samples from nearly 2,200 COVID-19 patients in China and tens of thousands of healthy people, and found those with A blood types had a significantly higher risk of COVID-19 while those with O blood types had a significantly lower risk, Newsweek reported.

The findings appear on the website medRxiv, where health researchers publish studies before they undergo the peer review process required by journals.

The researchers said blood type-related differences in COVID-19 risk may be due to certain antibodies in the blood, but further studies are needed to confirm this, Newsweek reported.

The finding that blood type may affect COVID-19 risk could be important for healthcare workers treating COVID-19 patients, because those with A blood types" "might need particularly strengthened personal protection to reduce the chance of infection."

Also, people with A blood types might require "more vigilant surveillance and aggressive treatment," and identifying a person's blood type as a routine part of treating COVID-19 and other coronavirus infections might be helpful, according to the researchers, Newsweek reported.

The study was limited because of its small size and it didn't offer an explanation for its findings, Gao Yingdai, a researcher from the State Key Laboratory of Experimental Hematology in Tianjin, told the South China Morning Post.

The study "may be helpful to medical professionals, but ordinary citizens should not take the statistics too seriously," said Gao,who did not work on the study, Newsweek reported.

"If you are type A, there is no need to panic. It does not mean you will be infected 100 percent," she said, addingm "If you are type O, it does not mean you are absolutely safe, either. You still need to wash your hands and follow the guidelines issued by authorities.""

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 5:00 pm
I'm blood type o and had close to 104.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 5:39 pm
We already discussed this.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 6:07 pm
OP if you cant even give a source for your article.....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 6:40 pm
I am going to be honest: people on imamother are often rude and sarcastic for no reason. I am simply trying to provide information as it comes available. Reading the replies, I am beginning to wonder not only about your middos, but also about your critical thinking skills. One of the doctors in my family alerted me to this finding, but I guess y'all are smarter than he is?

One way this information could be used is if deciding whether or not to go for testing versus waiting. If you were hesitant about getting tested or waiting to see if it worsens, and you are type A, then maybe that is the push to get tested rather than wait. For myself, being a type O and having a type A elderly mother, I am going to be more cautious than before, trying to do everything I can so t hat she does not get exposed

First of all, I stated clearly that this is preliminary evidence, and not yet proven. Doctors in China noticed the percentages of those patients hospitalized were significantly more likely to be type A than the general population percentages of type A, and those of type O were significantly fewer hospitalized than the percentage of type O in the general population. See below for actual percentages.)

shabbatiscoming: The article itself mentioned where the findings were posted, as well as the fact that it was cited by Newsweek. If you have further questions, google it yourself, or politley ask me for sources. You don't have to be nasty you know. (Incidentally, the article stated clearly that the study was published on medRxiv. A simple google search reveals that medRxiv is a nonprofit founded by the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Yale University and BMJ.)

tweety1: Nowhere did anyone say blood type O is immune and will not get the virus. Read the article again. Also, the study noted that those requiring hospitalization were more likely to be type A than type O. Did you require hospitalization? Regardless, there were people of all blood types hospitalized, but those of type A were disproportionately more than their percentage of population. (Imagine 25% of people are type A, but 35% of those hospitalized are type A. That's what they mean by disproportionate.) Also, the answer to your implied question is right there in my original post: "If you are type A, there is no need to panic. It does not mean you will be infected 100 percent," she said, addingm "If you are type O, it does not mean you are absolutely safe, either."

imasoftov: I looked at the link you sent me. I did not see any discussion of medical studies or findings, just abstract speculations and sarcastic replies.

For those of you who are not jumping to attack someone for trying to share potentially useful information, here is more information:

"Researchers studied 2,173 people from three hospitals in Wuhan and Shenzhen, China, who tested positive for the coronavirus.

Their conclusions showed 37.75% of the sampled people were blood type A, 26.42% were blood type B, 10.03% were blood type AB and 25.80% were blood type O. These data, when compared to the proportions of blood groups of the public in the region, led researchers to conclude that blood group A was more susceptible to the virus than other blood groups, while blood group O had a lower chance."

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
imasoftov: I looked at the link you sent me. I did not see any discussion of medical studies or findings, just abstract speculations and sarcastic replies.

I'm curious how you did not see any discussion of medical studies, as that is what the link I posted contained. Likewise about where you found sarcasm at that link. Perhaps you could quote the section or sections that you saw as sarcastic?

I also invite you to send the link to your doctor relative, ask for his reaction, and post it.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:06 am
I'm blood type A, and I had a relatively mild case of the virus, with no fever (though it sure felt like it anyway), no breathing issues, no need for intervention beyond tylenol, cough medicine, and lots of fluids.

My father has blood type O and he had much more fever, etc...he's also obviously much older than I am, so age, I think, plays much more of a role than blood type.

(my mother was type AB, and all of us are either A or B or AB (which is what happens when parents are AB and O). My SIL told me the whole thing about blood types, and she thinks my siblings who didn't get the virus (or symptoms at least) might be type B, but I have no idea - I haven't memorized all our blood types. (The reason she thinks this is because we were all together for a family Simcha right before all of this....and lot of my family members got the virus, though B"H mildly. But some did not get it and we were all there.....) )

Dunno, not enough evidence IMVHO.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:10 am
I'm B+.

I got the virus the week before Purim, and I'm still recovering.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:18 am
I once read that Type A blood is more prone for a host of diseases like cancer, stroke, heart disease. Chas vsholom.
Type O is the best type of blood, it can be used as donor blood for transfusions & bone marrow transplants for any blood type as it doesnt have antigens so it doesn't clash with any other blood type.

Chayala it's interesting what you are saying.
My husband is O & I am A. 3 of my kids are A. One is AO. One is O.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:08 pm
imasoftov wrote:

I also invite you to send the link to your doctor relative, ask for his reaction, and post it.

I sent it to him and asked for comment. His reply: "possible there is a slight change in risk"

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:12 pm
When things calm down I'll ask my sister...right now any time I talk to her, she is so busy I won't waste her time with anything extraneous. Besides for making Pesach for her large family, she is busy with patients around the clock...as is any doctor these days.....we haven't "shmoozed" in weeks....

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:23 pm
So what if for example:

Type A = 35%
Type B = 45%
Type O = 20%

How does that help the 20% of sick people Type O who got it? Just cuz more sick people have other types? Still are 200,000 sick type o's out of the world 1 million cases. Still have lots of types a & b who didn't.

It in no way implies immunity. In a million, you'd hardly notice the difference unless on paper.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:18 pm
Well, by looking at WHY type A may be more susceptible and O less so, scientists can hone in on potential weak points in the virus, and try to create medications to attack it the right way.

And the differences were not small.

31% of the normal population in Wuhan has blood type A, but 38% of those infected were type A.

34% of the normal population in Wuhan was type O, but only 25% of those infected had type O.

If blood type had nothing to do with risk, you would expect that if 34% of people are type O, then 34% of people infected would likewise be type O. But that was not the case. Only 25% of those infected with the virus were type O. There is a big difference between 34% and 25%, which is why this was considered "statistically significant."

Similar differences were observed in a different city, Shenzhen.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I sent it to him and asked for comment. His reply: "possible there is a slight change in risk"

I haven't said it isn't possible.

ora_43

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:53 pm
dankbar wrote:

If someone has AB, that means they have one marker for A and one for B. Someone with O blood actually has OO - two markers for O. Each kid gets one marker from each parent, in this case, either OA = type A blood, or OB = type B blood.

If someone has A type blood, it's trickier. That could be type AA, or AO - either "show up" as A. If it's AA, all kids will be type A blood, but if it's AO, you'll get a mix of A and O, like you have.

(or was that not the question?)

Librarian

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:59 pm
[quote="Chayalle"]I'm blood type A, and I had a relatively mild case of the virus, with no fever (though it sure felt like it anyway), no breathing issues, no need for intervention beyond tylenol, cough medicine, and lots of fluids.

My father has blood type O and he had much more fever, etc...he's also obviously much older than I am, so age, I think, plays much more of a role than blood type.

(my mother was type AB, and all of us are either A or B or AB (which is what happens when parents are AB and O). My SIL told me the whole thing about blood types, and she thinks my siblings who didn't get the virus (or symptoms at least) might be type B, but I have no idea - I haven't memorized all our blood types. (The reason she thinks this is because we were all together for a family Simcha right before all of this....and lot of my family members got the virus, though B"H mildly. But some did not get it and we were all there.....) )

HMMM...as far as I know, if one parent is AB and one is O, the children can be A or B but not AB (or O)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 5:03 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I haven't said it isn't possible.

What does your reply even mean?? You asked me to ask him to offer his opinion about the article. I did, and his reply was that it is possible. Now you are arguing back with him, saying you never said otherwise, as if he implied you did. Honey, he has no idea you exist.

ora_43

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 5:07 pm
Interesting, thanks for sharing, OP.

Not super cheering as someone with type A blood LOL but hey, it's always good to learn more about the virus. Like you said, often it's the cases where it hits some people harder than others for no apparent reason that help doctors understand exactly what's going on.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 5:08 pm
Just take a lesson from my blood type, and Be Positive.

Librarian

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 5:09 pm
dankbar wrote:
I once read that Type A blood is more prone for a host of diseases like cancer, stroke, heart disease. Chas vsholom.
Type O is the best type of blood, it can be used as donor blood for transfusions & bone marrow transplants for any blood type as it doesnt have antigens so it doesn't clash with any other blood type.

I guess it depend on your perspective. Some would say AB is the best because it is the universal RECIPIENT.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics