Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Mother Pressuring for a Visit

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:49 pm
We told my mother last week she couldn't come to the seder. She was fine with it, VERY understanding.
But as the days go on she is getting lonely. As Pesach approaches she is having to face the reality of being by herself.
She is starting to pressure us for a visit. She says she goes to check her mail in her apartment building, to do her laundry, to her storage, and sees lots of people. (None wearing masks...I asked! No one is wearing them! She's trying to figure it how to make one.)
So she's pressuring us to "stop by" over Yom Tov, even just in the lobby for a quick hello.
I am not comfortable going there! A bunch of people on her block have coronavirus.
My family has stayed inside for weeks. and we don't plan to go anywhere.
What should I do? I feel bad. She can't figure out Zoom or anything else online to video chat.
Ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:12 pm
Do either of you have smart phones for video calls? Or can you talk to her on the phone and walk her through skype or zoom click by click. My dh had to do that for his dad who doesn't know anything about technology. I'm so sorry this is so hard, definitely don't go over there.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:25 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Do either of you have smart phones for video calls? Or can you talk to her on the phone and walk her through skype or zoom click by click. My dh had to do that for his dad who doesn't know anything about technology. I'm so sorry this is so hard, definitely don't go over there.

OP here: I tried with Zoom. But even with walking her through it, she couldn't do it.

She has an IPad... no computer or smartphone. We do phone calls and Facebook messages.

The pressure though for an in-person visit is getting hard

Goldie613

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here: I tried with Zoom. But even with walking her through it, she couldn't do it.

She has an IPad... no computer or smartphone. We do phone calls and Facebook messages.

I don't know exactly how it works, but a lot of kids in my extended family use Facebook to video chat with each other. I think it's called Facebook messenger. The cousins include a couple of really little ones who've figured out how to call their grown cousins with it, so hopefully it's not hard to use. I know you can do it on an ipad.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:01 pm
Maybe you could tell her that while you would love to be able to see her in person you don't want to risk her health and safety, maybe that would take some of the pressure off?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you have a iPhone or MacBook or iPad?
You can FaceTime.

If not, re zoom, if she can’t figure it out, can you create an account for her so all she has to do is download the app and log in? Create a new email address, verify the account, etc.

enjoying kids

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:19 pm
What about a drive through visit? She can come say hello through the car window

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 7:42 pm
I'm planning to go over to my parents house over yomtov and say hello to them through the window or porch. There's nothing wrong with that. You can go check in on how she's doing without a person-to-person visit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics