Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How do u honestly all manage ???
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:28 pm
Its going to be the first year this year me doing everything myself. no cleaning lady, My dining room I usually leave for the last thing to do , now my dining room is left waiting for me . Chairs, table , couch, ect. I feel I cant . My passach is going to look very different this year . It feels so sad . Im barely managing with house work . How do ppl do it?? Id like some tips, ideas , im also very moody and not up to doing a thing. We found out only yesterday that were staying home . I did do some pasach cleaning anyways which is good . But im just sooo not having energy to do much with kids under the feet. Please tell me how u manage with cooking, cleaning and all especially without cleaning help?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:29 pm
Can your kids and husband help? Everything shouldn't be 100% on you.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:32 pm
My hardest part is bathrooms and laundry.
Erev Yom Tov there are bathrooms to clean. Cans to empty. Laundry to fold. Pockets to check.
It’s a huge task on top everything else that needs to be done.
I’m finding that the most overwhelming.
And my kids and DH help a lot. And my standards are pretty low. But I feel like some things must get done.
I make everyone list of their jobs but it’s still a lot.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:41 pm
I started after purim. If you just decided yesterday then please cut your self some slack. I have a pretty good system that has taken me years to perfect.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:41 pm
It's exhausting, no?
I'm all alone with no help this year. My husband was sick in bed the past 2 weeks, and now he's busy 18 hrs a day catching up on schoolwork. I have a very very difficult 7 month old who needs me to hold him all day, and a 3 year old who is under my feet.

Only clean and kasher what needs to be cleaned and kashered.
Dont bother with bathrooms. You dont eat in the bathroom.
Dont bother with couches and beds if you dont eat on the couches and beds.
Dont bother dusting chandeliers and scrubbing away at the windows and doors.

You need to kasher your oven and sinks.
You need to cover your countertops if you're not kashering them.
You need to clean out your fridge.
That's it. Lock up your cabinets, and get plastic drawers from amazon to use for your pesach food.
Use plastic cutlery and foil pans as much as possible.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:42 pm
My husband is doing a lot. Unless someone's husband is working on the front lines right now, this is definitely the year to be pitching in big time. My kids are also pretty helpful, though there's a limit to what I can rely on them for (mostly taking care of the baby so I can clean).

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
My husband is doing a lot. Unless someone's husband is working on the front lines right now, this is definitely the year to be pitching in big time. My kids are also pretty helpful, though there's a limit to what I can rely on them for (mostly taking care of the baby so I can clean).

DH and I are both working full time with 6 kids home and no full time help.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
It's exhausting, no?
I'm all alone with no help this year. My husband was sick in bed the past 2 weeks, and now he's busy 18 hrs a day catching up on schoolwork. I have a very very difficult 7 month old who needs me to hold him all day, and a 3 year old who is under my feet.

Only clean and kasher what needs to be cleaned and kashered.
Dont bother with bathrooms. You dont eat in the bathroom.
Dont bother with couches and beds if you dont eat on the couches and beds.
Dont bother dusting chandeliers and scrubbing away at the windows and doors.

You need to kasher your oven and sinks.
You need to cover your countertops if you're not kashering them.
You need to clean out your fridge.
That's it. Lock up your cabinets, and get plastic drawers from amazon to use for your pesach food.
Use plastic cutlery and foil pans as much as possible.

If you have 6 kids sharing 3 small bathrooms 24 hours a day those bathrooms better be cleaned. My standards are low but it gets unsanitary very quickly.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 2:49 pm
I’m managing by doing the bare minimum cleaning. Only looking for actual chametz- which my Dh will do mostly by bedikas chametz.
There’s enough laundry and other cleaning that needs to get done... plus feeding kids.. that I’m lowering expectations all around.
Also cooked extra pasta, eggs, rice, etc. and have pizza / fish sticks in freezer - so the whole kitchen is Pesachdig but the kids still have food that can be warmed in toaster oven in a different room.

I also plan on cooking very basic, and leaving some things to cook on yt as needed.

Letting the kids play outside to get energy out.
Using the computer for them to watch as needed
Plus - I make cleaning fun so they join in too- this way I don’t have to bend down so much.
They pick up toys, help with laundry, clean up after themselves (for the most part... when I remind them ten times).

That’s basically it Smile
But it’s still plenty hard:.... good luck!!!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:12 pm
Its not easy.
We focus on what halacha is, not spring cleaning.
I bought kugels and cakes.
Cooking is not that diff than a reg shabbos.
Husband is helping a lot.
...it gets done.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:17 pm
I don’t have much more to add but in terms of storage, look for the flip shelf on Amazon (I don’t know how to post the link). They set up in literally seconds, great for storage on Pesach, and the best part is they fold up flat and take up no space when not in use. They come in several sizes. I found these last year and now I don’t have to empty and clean a single cabinet!

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:21 pm
I've spent most of the last three weeks in bed. My husband did the fridge and freezer. I did the pantry. That is all I did. Oven and stove tomorrow. I am doing the absolute barest minimum.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:26 pm
I am cutting corners wherever possible. I was sick for two weeks and still don’t feel perfect.
I keep asking my kids to assist with tasks (even peeling vegetables takes time) .
My husband cleaned the stove top and he and one of my kids did the fridge and freezer.
I usually use two fridges and three freezers. This year we are sticking to one and I’ll be cooking way less. I will also not be baking like I usually do. The house is not going to sparkle but it will be livable.
We will do one big vacuuming tomorrow all over to make sure nothing was missed.
I am not even emptying kitchen cabinets and drawers and putting in Pesach stuff. Instead I’m leaving the Pesach stuff in their boxes. It’s not ideal but I needed my kochos and sanity.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:33 pm
My problem is that I cut all the corners EVERY year, so this year there's not much left to cut!

I cleaned out cabinets for Pesach ONCE. Then I said, never again. I bought plastic shelving instead, and the kitchen is a little more cramped.

I don't clean or kasher my stove. Too complicated. I felt that $350 for a Pesach stove was money well spent. (Still do, and I know we are lucky we have room to store it.)

I never do much Pesach cleaning outside of the kitchen. Just basic straightening and some vacuuming. No bleach involved.

My kids are always always home (online school) so that's not really different, but in other years if there are no guests we spend Pesach with my mother (at her request).

This year I'm just more tired overall, though not sick BH. Stressed out from the general situation, and feeling generally unmotivated because there will be no guests.

So even my bare minimum is hard to achieve.

I'm going to try to be satisfied with a thorough bedikas chometz and a kashered kitchen.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:33 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
DH and I are both working full time with 6 kids home and no full time help.

That's rough. I hope you're both working as a team once the kids are in bed (or old enough not to need your supervision).

tweety1

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 3:57 pm
Who says I manage?? All kids home, no cleaning help, laundry has to get done, cooking has to get done, basic cleaning has to get done, is it really possible to manage?? I'm staying afloat and bh not getting overwhelmed, taking it easy, not yelling "chometz chometz", and bh till 6-7 I'm ok. After that is another story I won't tell you lol.

Sunshineforever

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:00 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I started after purim. If you just decided yesterday then please cut your self some slack. I have a pretty good system that has taken me years to perfect.

Hiya, you wrote you have a pretty good system that has taken you years to perfect. Care to share? I'm very curious

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:05 pm
mha3484 wrote:

In my house extras are done before Purim. We work so slow. But I find Eruv Yom Tov and turning over the hard part.
As I said Eruv Yom Tov
- prepare for seuda
- Seder
- clean hous
- laundry
- bathrooms
- feed everyone lunch

I find the day so overwhelming.
This year because I have no cleaning help I’m taking the day off.

saralem

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:15 pm
One super important thing is to cook food for your family to eat on Tuesday and Wednesday. I find it’s hardest in the turn over days and everyone is home and hungry! Don’t worry about cleaning the whole house. Just focus on the kitchen and don’t overdo it. Shove everything into cabinets and tape then shut.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:18 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I don’t have much more to add but in terms of storage, look for the flip shelf on Amazon (I don’t know how to post the link). They set up in literally seconds, great for storage on Pesach, and the best part is they fold up flat and take up no space when not in use. They come in several sizes. I found these last year and now I don’t have to empty and clean a single cabinet!

THIS. IS. GENIUS.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics