Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Powerade, Mucinex, cough drops for Pesach?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:53 pm
BH we are well, I stocked up on these though... Anyone know if they are ok for cholim on Pesach? If so I assume they don't need to be sold? Waiting on answer from Rav but wondering if anyone knows...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 5:17 pm
Bump

cbsp

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 5:42 pm
My husband, an OU mashgiach, has said that Gatorade is "only" kitniyos and therefore may be ok for a choleh (ask your LOR what constitutes a choleh these days).

I don't know about Powerade, I can ask later.

Kumphort

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:49 pm
If you can confirm about Powerade that would be great. And to see if it’s the same for the zero calorie versions

Also is it published anywhere that these are kitniyos?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:50 pm
What great questions! Thanks!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 8:38 pm
Are there cough drops for pesach? I remember using ricolas years ago with a pesach hashgacha, but have not seen them recently. Are they permitted without a pesach hashgacha?

avrahamama

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:20 pm
Coconut water might be better than powerade in terms of electrolytes and pesach

cbsp

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:39 pm
Kumphort wrote:
If you can confirm about Powerade that would be great. And to see if it’s the same for the zero calorie versions

I'm so sorry, DH couldn't be helpful about the Powerade.

DH also applauds your desire to see something published rather than trust an anonymous lady's anonymous husband. Unfortunately he didn't see this anywhere public. You can contact the OU at 212-613-8241. They should be able to help you with your questions both about Gatorade and Powerade.

Mucinex isn't a question for the OU since they're not the certifying agency (if they're even under Feig) certification). If it's a pill it may be taken without a shaylah as per the CrC (Chicago). Liquid is more complicated.

The following are on the Rabbi Blumenkrantz zt"l approved list: Mucinex children's mini melts, Mucinex nasal spray, Mucinex tablets and Mucinex caplets

There's nothing in the Rabbi Blumenkrantz zt"l list about cough drops, sorry. Don't see Ricola listed independently either.

May everyone stay healthy and gezunt.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:46 pm
Kumphort wrote:

My local Rav posted that Powerade is kitnios but is mutar if their is a choleh who is worried about getting dehydrated (not just any one who has a sore throat / it shouldn’t be used lightly just for a cold ).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics