Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Unemployment 101 how does this work? (NY)
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:08 am
I feel like a real dunce, I can't even seem to get an application going. I googled, I got onto the NY dept of labor website, I have an NY ID to sign in, but I can't find the application. I found the COVID assistance application but it says I can't use that until I've submitted and been denied a regular application (which I would be denied because I'm an independent contractor.) And the regular application is what I can't find. My last initial is in the right range for today. The instructions say that if you miss your day, you can apply at the end of the week - but that's Pesach. I already missed a few weeks that I could have been eligible because I was still trying to make work work, and was trying to make heads or tails of the whole concept... I don't want to do it by phone because I hear the wait times are terrible and it seems simpler to do it on screen where I can see what I'm inputting and take my time figuring out the answers to questions as I do them.

SOS!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:39 am
try this:
go to https://labor.ny.gov/unemploym......shtm
Then clink on File a claim now
then a little lower down on the left, it will show you to sign in. Put in your user name and password
Then you will see different boxes. One will say messages, one will say online forms... Look for the box that says unemployment insurance. In that box there will be a button that you can click on button that says unemployment services.
From there it should take you to a page that you can click on file for unemployment

keeplearning

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:44 am
From my understanding, an independent contractor would file for something new called pandemic unemployment insurance. Many states have not yet created the form to file for this.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:45 am
keeplearning wrote:
From my understanding, an independent contractor would file for something new called pandemic unemployment insurance. Many states have not yet created the form to file for this.

Yes but when I clicked on pandemic unemployment it said you first need to be denied from regular unemployment.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:46 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
try this:
go to https://labor.ny.gov/unemploym......shtm
Then clink on File a claim now
then a little lower down on the left, it will show you to sign in. Put in your user name and password
Then you will see different boxes. One will say messages, one will say online forms... Look for the box that says unemployment insurance. In that box there will be a button that you can click on button that says unemployment services.
From there it should take you to a page that you can click on file for unemployment

Thank you so much. Told you I feel stupid, no idea why I couldn't find that before, but I think I'm getting through now.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:47 am
Can anyone post the information for NJ for an independent contractor?

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:53 am
My biggest question that I can't seem to find an answer to, is what do I do if half of my employment is self employed/independent contractor, and half is through an agency (employer). Also confused about how to report my current work because it is fluctuating day by day. Technically I have the same hours as always but there are cancellations right and left. I'm providing home services to people I used to see in school, and the homes are not working out, does that mean the workplace closed due to COVID? SO MANY QUESTIONS. No answers.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:54 am
seeker wrote:
My biggest question that I can't seem to find an answer to, is what do I do if half of my employment is self employed/independent contractor, and half is through an agency (employer). Also confused about how to report my current work because it is fluctuating day by day. Technically I have the same hours as always but there are cancellations right and left. I'm providing home services to people I used to see in school, and the homes are not working out, does that mean the workplace closed due to COVID? SO MANY QUESTIONS. No answers.

If you’re still working but from home I don’t think you would get unemployment, but you can ask your agency.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 12:00 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
If you’re still working but from home I don’t think you would get unemployment, but you can ask your agency.

The issue is not working from home, the issue is that "still working" is very theoretical because I only get paid for sessions that happen and sessions aren't happening. I have kids without devices, kids whose parents are overwhelmed, kids who forget to sign in even after I call to follow up... plus there were two weeks when school was closed and they didn't approve remote services. So my "working from home" amounts to less than 50% of the work I usually do and get paid for, plus the weeks that I wasn't able to work at all. Plus I'm losing my mind from trying to balance this work with my kids at home, so I think I could qualify for the COVID thing, the question is whether the "caring for kids due to COVID" would work for partial work or only if you quit completely. I can't quit completely but I'm not making enough money either.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 12:16 pm
OK I'm in middle of the application and it's asking about "no longer working" with no options for partial working. I hate multiple choice.

If it's covid related is that "voluntarily left job?!" Ugh I can't figure this out

keeplearning

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 4:41 pm
seeker wrote:

Same questions!

Do I file unemployment twice? I work 20 hours as independent contractor and 20 as an employee.

I've been working as an employee for 1-4 hours a week now via telehealth.

Anyone know who can answer these questions???

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:46 pm
I filed, guessed some answers, and was told I need to call in to complete the application. But it's impossible to get through.

The questions are meant for regular unemployment, not self employed but can't work because of coronavirus Banging head

(Pretty sure I saw if you make less than $504 per week, you're eligible for at least partial unemployment.)

Im leaving this til after pesach and hoping the call volume goes down by then. And some clarification happens.

Bh for community chessed organizations.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 6:55 pm
I heard people were getting that they needed to call to finish, so I thought ok if I guess some answers I'll address it on the call. But then I didn't get that message! So I hope I'm not going to end up with some kind of trouble.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:43 am
Did anyone get their check yet? I'm only asking as I am also an independent contractor and in the same situation as Seeker, but didn't complete my application yet, as I wasn't completely sure that it made sense to until I hear some real numbers....

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 6:51 am
For people working part time-- in NY-- if you work 4 days a week, you wont be eligible for unemployment, even if you make $10. Your best bet is to try to combine the hours you have into fewer days. Then if you make under $500 (or wtvr ur threshold is) then you can get partial unemployment.

I do some hours thru an agency and some self employed so I applied for regular unemployment and did "loss of work"... They will also ask of you have a business, you say yes, etc...
However, I personally will try to work 4+ days now remotely and not be unemployed. But not everyone has that option.

mom24.7

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 9:14 am
Did anyone that needed to call to complete an application get through? I've been trying for weeks. Nothing....

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 11:12 am
I finally was able to file and it says they will contact me within 72 hours... it has been almost a week and I still didn’t hear anything (no missed calls over yom tov)

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 11:51 am
Also trying to finish my claim over the phone. Impossible to reach. I hope the delay won’t mean less $$.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 1:14 pm
I applied 3/16!!!! Still did not get through Sad(

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 4:24 am
I applied online, and got called with questions that I answered, which included asking for my mailing address and my employer's address and other questions... although they did NOT ask me how much I was getting paid.

When will they send me either money or mail? How will I know if I'm approved? how long does it take for them to finalize it? are they going to contact my employer to find out how much money I was making, and how long does that take?

I got health insurance cards in the mail, which I previously applied for and they had said they need more proof of income, I wonder if that got processed due to my unemployment claim.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics