Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What to do when? Help a first timer

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:32 pm
Bh. Turned over and got groceries done.

Really need some help figuring this out- all doable but not sure what to do when, would appreciate advice.

We are a couple with a baby, so it’s not a lot of food but I’m a relatively clumsy/ slow cook and my baby is a fusser so I can always work quick.

1. When do I make eggs, gefilte, (Marinated)salmon, chicken? I do want them to last through chol hamoed and that’s not stuff you can freeze. Should I plan to make it all on Wednesday?

2. Leaving on stove- do I just leave a fire on for 3 days and leave a window open? Scared the fire will blow out and have carbon monoxide or something?

3. Leaving on the oven, what temperature? Just leave it on for 2/3 days straight? It’s a digital oven with shabb mode so I think I can.

Depending on 2 and 3 I guess I also have to figure out when to do things like roasted potatoes and veggies if I have to make those ahead...

Help 😩

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:38 pm
I'm lazy and disorganized, so I do leave my oven on for 3 days straight, and on 350 because I actually need to cook.

Someone organized would leave it on 200 to warm food and make cholent.

Many people leave a flame on LOW, and make sure to have a working carbon monoxide detector! You can turn the flame up on Yom Tov, but can only turn it down if your food will otherwise burn.

I have an electric stove, so I just keep one on med-low and one burner on med-high. (My kitchen does get hot, but otherwise we will not have food.)

I try to put the raw marinated/prepared chicken, fish, etc. in pans and freeze raw. Then I just cook fresh as needed. (If defrosted meat stays COLD it is fine to refreeze.)

I would make a big batch of hard-boiled eggs Erev Yom Tov, it will stay fine in the fridge for Chol Hamoed too.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:33 pm
Eggs, karpas, charoses, roasted zroa, you can make tonight or tomorrow. (Or Wednesday but I like to be done by erev.)
Portion the kezayis of maror into bags for maror and koreich and place in ziplock bags. Prep this for both Sedarim.

Chicken: can freeze. You can do a stewed/sautéed chicken, should freeze well. Also chickens with wine sauces, teriyaki sauces freeze well. Or you can prep and freeze raw, and cook on yom
Tov.

Shnitzel, chicken cutlets in sauce, grilled cutlets, chicken roll ups, chicken stir fry all freeze well; warm up at low temperature.

Fish: prep all your fish. on Wednesday cook just what you need through shabbos. Freeze the rest and take out and cook as needed.

I would choose to leave only one heat source on, oven or flame. (Can warm soup in a pan in the oven!)

Prep your veggies on Tuesday and roast on Wednesday.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 10:33 pm
Can others chime in? Specifically with gas stove tops?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can others chime in? Specifically with gas stove tops?

I leave on my back burner (the bigger of the 2 backs) I lower it everytime I use it before I remove the food (ask re halacha) my oven has shabbos mode where I can higher and lower it as needed....

saralem

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:04 pm
I leave a small flame on my gas stove. I also leave my oven on Shabbos mode at 225 degrees. I’m planning to cook soup, brisket, chicken, meatballs on Wednesday. As well as the items needed for Seder. DH makes the maror. It’s pretty doable. This year, there’s no shul and no guests, so why not cook on yomtov? Usually I cook for 4 days and fill my whole freezer. Not this year.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 12:46 am
I leave on one back burner on med/low. Cover with blech when not using. I have a window nearby that's open a few inches plus co2 detector. Gas burners.

I also use the fire for a flame for candle lighting.

I don't leave on my oven. It would anyways turn off after 24 hours.

Pesach newbie, but I've made yom tov.

Ill be making chicken soup with a lot of chicken - at least good for 3 meals. Shabbos day is pesach chulent (no beans). If I bake chicken or meat with veggies, I can rewarm as needed. Chicken cutlets can be made on the stovetop as needed. Lots of fruit. Lots of matza. Fish will last because no one eats it Can't Believe It

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 1:07 am
If you are not leaving on a flame, don't forget a long lasting yahrzeit candle so you can light candles on the second night and Friday night.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 1:15 am
According to Rav Moshe Feinstein you may light a flame with a match and then turn it off by lowering the gas on the dial- this is what we do since it’s much safer ( for the stove)

We have a sabbath mode function so we leave oven at 200 degrees and then raise it for cooking and lower it again after

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
According to Rav Moshe Feinstein you may light a flame with a match and then turn it off by lowering the gas on the dial- this is what we do since it’s much safer ( for the stove)

We have a sabbath mode function so we leave oven at 200 degrees and then raise it for cooking and lower it again after

What is that magical oven? Moving soon and that sounds like the coolest feature!

self-actualization

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 12:38 pm
I read somewhere in an OU magazine that the oven needs to be at 250 to avoid the oven going on when you open the door.

I usually do 250 and the times when I am very behind on cooking and the weather outside is cool I do 350.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics